Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of a source of a Superlight single seat, original or Ducati Performance? Oalvarez posted a pic that showed one and I'd love to ditch the stock seat, side panels, grab handle and lock hardware. I already know about Airtech and SharkSkinz; I'm looking for one I don't need to paint (red!). I'll post a WTB in the classifieds too. TIA.
Joe

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Joe,

I just saw a stock 900FE seat (seat cushions only, not the entire seat cowl) listed for sale on Ebay. If you do a search for Ducati seat you should find it. You can buy the cowl from Sharkskinz.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Not for nothing, but FE seats aren't red, and that ebay auction is for the padded seat portion only, not the tail section.

That said, you might have difficulty finding one that matches your bike. "Ducati red" has changed over the years - my '91 isn't the same color as my '97.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The only other option I can think off if you can't find OEM piece is this local company here in San Diego:

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/ducati/900SS1997-98.htm

Their pricing is a fraction of OEM, even used pieces.

They have some really nice reproductions in fiber glass. I can't attest to the quality since I have been lucky enough to not need replacement body work.:D

·
Registered
792 Posts
The Sharkskinz solo tailsection is a better design as it has built-in supports that rest on the frame rails. The FE factory version has these supports and does not crack. The earlier version used on the US-spec Superlight, and the Airtech part, does not have these supports and the rider's weight is supported by the mounting bolts, which is why almost every Superlight has a cracked tailsection.

I'd suggest buying a brand new Sharkskinz and having it painted to match your bike. Corbin makes a seat pad set.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice. As I said in my original post, I already know about SharkSkinz and Airtech; I was looking for an original, or a Ducati Performance. I agree with PSsssp; I like the SharkSkinz base better and I'll probably get that. Matching the paint is always an issue with older Ducatis. I'll probably have to paint everything if I want it to match. I like the Airtech pads, but they are backordered for 3 months until they make new ones. I looked at Corbin but they are heavy and very expensive. Oh well, I'll just wait. PSsssp, what kind of pads did you use on your base?
Joe

·
Registered
570 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. As I said in my original post, I already know about SharkSkinz and Airtech; I was looking for an original, or a Ducati Performance. I agree with PSsssp; I like the SharkSkinz base better and I'll probably get that. Matching the paint is always an issue with older Ducatis. I'll probably have to paint everything if I want it to match. I like the Airtech pads, but they are backordered for 3 months until they make new ones. I looked at Corbin but they are heavy and very expensive. Oh well, I'll just wait. PSsssp, what kind of pads did you use on your base?
Joe
Oh Duh, I hate it when people don't read my post thoroughly and tell me about something I already knew about! :D Now I know how it can happen.

·
Registered
104 Posts
FWIW - I have the Sharkskinz / Sergent combo (Corbin didn't offer this seat - perhaps they do now?) and am very happy with both. Yes the seat pad is big and heavy (feather weight compared to stock two up seat), but its COMFY. Had the paint done locally - match is very very close, but not perfect. I'm probably the only one who would notice. Base mounts solid. Good luck. TT

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FWIW - I have the Sharkskinz / Sergent combo (Corbin didn't offer this seat - perhaps they do now?) and am very happy with both. Yes the seat pad is big and heavy (feather weight compared to stock two up seat), but its COMFY. Had the paint done locally - match is very very close, but not perfect. I'm probably the only one who would notice. Base mounts solid. Good luck. TT
Thanks, Tom. Corbin advertises the seat (for like $360 or something), Sargent does not. I'll probably just wait for Airtech to make more of theirs.
Joe

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,715 Posts
Joe, for whatever it's worth, my friend just ordered and received his fiberglass solo-seat tail section from Sharkskinz. It did not come with any support brackets that were visible from the outside, and I hardly doubt they were fiberglassed underneath. He was under the impression that it came with brackets as well, perhaps they were not attached and left in the box or were simply never included. I'm going to have him give them a call.

PSsssp: Thanks for posting up the pics.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sorry - brain fart. Its a Corbin. I had a Sargent on the Monster. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! Still, its a very comfortable seat. TT

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
I've got a Corbin on the FE, and a Sargent on my '92 SS and also my Hyper. I love the Sargent stuff; pricey but worth it IMO. I think the Corbin is basically your only option for the solo Superlight/FE seat cowl, short of sending a stock seat to Sargent for reworking (which they'll do). The Corbin on my FE is okay, but if you're conscious about weight the seat may as well be made of lead, because it weighs a ton.

·
Registered
792 Posts
The first pictures I posted are not of any of my tailsections; that is the factory setup used on the FE's.

Here are some pictures of my fiberglass red/white tailsection and my carbon fiber version has the same type of built-in supports. For both of these I have Corbin pads that were custom made at the factory (one of the many benefits of living in California).

I constructed (badly) some similar supports and glassed them into an Airtech trackday tailsection which is pictured here with a homemade seat pad. The upholstery need to be redone, but the size and shape work well. I heat formed some thin plastic sheet and then fiberglassed it for rigidity. To that base I glued layers of 1/2" neoprene until I reached my desired height. I drilled holes through the plastic and glassed in some elevator bolts (thin flat-headed bolts) to bolt the seat to the tailsection. The vinyl cover is super-cheapo fake naugahide and will be easy to remove and replace now that I know the size and shape of the pad is correct.

Oalvarez - The supports from Sharkskinz are similar to the ones pictured in this post; they are built-in fiberglass, not bolted brackets like the factory version. Maybe it takes a special request to get them? It would be easy to fabricate something, but it might be worth a phone call to Sharkskinz to get the real scoop as to why they weren't included on your friend's new part.

The full bike picture is quite old and my bike has changed quite a bit but at least it's another idea for number plates on a solo tailsection. The white wraps around with a thin gold pinstripe and there is a red stripe on top

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts