Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Sherpa, I have to say that was a very interesting disclosure! Partially because, I think it was over at the Panigale specific forum, but you had posted recently going into greater detail about your upcoming SL acquisition, and you mentioned having made some special arangements with the factory. When I read that I thought to myself "oooh, I hope the Sherpa, a man of good taste and sensibility, is having those wings removed" And you are! Fantastic! Can't wait to see photos. Have you decided if you're going to stick with the regular full Akro exhaust, or are you going to go for something more special like you have on your 1199 SL?
Well, thanks. I forgot that I posted something there but I have been careful to not mention any of the "extra campionario" for a variety of reasons. This isn’t something that I would post over there. There are a couple of smart people there but it’s become a place for kids to repeat hearsay and talk about what they see on YouTube from retarded influencers. This place has people like Flyingbulldog and other experts who actually know what they’re talking about so you can truly learn a thing or two.

I haven't decided anything about the exhaust. I get the race exhaust with it and I'm sure I'll probably put that on. The WSBK team exhaust on my 1199SL has been amazing and added a ton to the bike but I am unsure if I would add another WSBK exhaust for the V4 (if one were even offered to me again). My 1199SL with that Ducati Corse team exhaust is pretty amazing and I wouldn't change a thing but the V4SL engine characteristics are such that I think the normal race exhaust is way plenty. I am not saying I wouldn't. I am just saying that I'm not sure and not really inclined to do it on this bike.

Also, I have been thinking of leaving the stock exhaust for at least the break in period.

Reactions: vanduc996

·
Bon Vivant
10,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Sherpa, I have to say that was a very interesting disclosure! Partially because, I think it was over at the Panigale specific forum, but you had posted recently going into greater detail about your upcoming SL acquisition, and you mentioned having made some special arangements with the factory. When I read that I thought to myself "oooh, I hope the Sherpa, a man of good taste and sensibility, is having those wings removed" And you are! Fantastic! Can't wait to see photos. Have you decided if you're going to stick with the regular full Akro exhaust, or are you going to go for something more special like you have on your 1199 SL?

Flynbulldog, Being that I've immersed myself completely in F1 racing and all things high performance cars since the age of 10, and sportbikes and moto racing since the age of 16, I vaguely resent the insinuation my lack of acceptance of the wings on the V4SL is borne of ignorance about their purpose. But I do understand your point..
Like I said ealier, I understand exactly why they're there, I understand Ducati's pride in having started the aero revolution in motogp, etc. I just believe they could have done a better job with these wings looks wise given the SL is a "road bike". If it was track only like the HP4 Race, I'd be far more forgiving..
Do you think the SL is a road bike? I really dont think it was designed as a bike meant for the street but rather it is a full fledged race bike with lights and compliance stuck on as an afterthought. It is offered to the public for the purpose of homologation. The last thing that Supeleggera is - is a road bike.

And Vanduc, I dont think your lack of acceptance is ignorance, I just think it's a typically American (ok Canadian, close enough :giggle:) resistance to change and culture identity. Hey I'm not imune to that either - I detest all things matte black and still love polished, chromed and shiny stuff...

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
My .02 cents tells me the wings are ugly and spoil the lines of the bike. Of course being me, I would remove them and likely do many other blasphemous modifications to it to make it “my” own. And there are many others out there who would keep it perfectly original down to the warning stickers, and good on them too. Much respect to the Sherpa, because he rides them, makes it look how he wanted and enjoys the bikes as he sees fit. I’ve said it before do what turns your crank! Good thing I‘ll likely never own such a special machine, muck it up and go straight to hell.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Do you think the SL is a road bike? I really dont think it was designed as a bike meant for the street but rather it is a full fledged race bike with lights and compliance stuck on as an afterthought. It is offered to the public for the purpose of homologation. The last thing that Supeleggera is - is a road bike.

And Vanduc, I dont think your lack of acceptance is ignorance, I just think it's a typically American (ok Canadian, close enough :giggle:) resistance to change and culture identity. Hey I'm not imune to that either - I detest all things matte black and still love polished, chromed and shiny stuff...
I guess you missed my " " around my use of the word roadbike in my previous post. That was to indicate my acknowledgement of the fact that the v4SL is the furthest extreme of what can be considered a roadbike, but it is in fact sold for use on the road so by definition it is a roadbike. The first thing the SL is, is a roadbike. Which is why I brought up the HP4 Race, a bike of similar cost and even greater performance, but a product that BMW never intended for road use. The first and only thing the HP4 Race is, is a track bike.
The SL isn't a homologation bike, the V4R is the homologation bike for use in Superbike race series
I reiterate, I'm not resistant to wings, I'm resistant to ugly wings! I think Honda and Aprilia did a fine job aesthetically with the aero on the new Blade and RSV4

·
Registered
305 Posts
Haha, I love Sherpa’s phrase: ”its use is to thrill its owner to the maximum thrill they can tolerate.”

Which pretty much explains why we ride the many and varied bikes we do, eh?

But this incredible, and it is incredible, bike just frustrates the fuck out of me.

I get the whole “halo bike” thing but what use is 230hp if it is not eligible for any race series? With TCS/anti-wheelie you’d have to be pinned at the top end of 4th gear to ever enjoy the full fat experience....you are kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

It’s like a date with Eva Mendes and the closest interaction you ever have is an icy handshake. Frustrating!!!

Nah, the best thing about this thing is the light weight, not the excess hp.

My hope with upping the 899 to the 959 was they were making way for a Pani 750 to kick some 600 IL4 arse....but not to be.

But I’m thinking an SL959, or SL600 V4, would be a more approachable bike. 150hp, 150kg’s, is a recipe most could actually use.

As it stands, my only race tracks within 2500km’s would only ever allow me to explore the upper reaches of TC/anti-wheelie and that is not the sort of envelope I have the slightest interest in exploring.

Bottomline? We might as well be talking about the space shuttle for all the practical application it has.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Nah, the best thing about this thing is the light weight, not the excess hp.

My hope with upping the 899 to the 959 was they were making way for a Pani 750 to kick some 600 IL4 arse....but not to be.

But I’m thinking an SL959, or SL600 V4, would be a more approachable bike. 150hp, 150kg’s, is a recipe most could actually use.
I agree 100%. I have said several times that what makes my 1199SL special is the low weight, not the power.

Additionally, my favorited bikes to ride on the track are all of my middleweight race bikes - they're all in the upper 300's but they're about 140hp-160hp and they're just perfect.

This new V4 Superleggera is a massive feat of production as much as it is of engineering. The fact that this is offered to the public and someone can ride something as special as this out on the roads is a big deal.

But to get the most out of riding it, even on a track? I think we passed those days with the introduction of the 1098R. That's why I said that even the base V4 is way beyond what anyone can really use.

An aside: Over the holidays I was listening to a podcast with Jack Miller and one of his friends. It's long - like 2 hours I think - but one part he talks about how Ducati gave him a V4 street bike (he didn't even know what the name of it was but it was a V4R) and he said he took it to the track to ride with the Moto2 guys at Jerez for fun. All they did was put on carbon or fiberglass fairings and send him out (he said fiberglass but I think they were carbon). He said that bike was so flipping fast that he could not believe that they will let someone go to a dealership and buy it. He said the brake fade was bad but other than that, it was a super competent bike and the suspension and electronics and everything are so so so good. And that's not something as exotic as the Superleggera version.

·
Bon Vivant
10,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Talking now tangential to the SL, sportbikes today are a product of an evolution driven by stats, numbers, comparisons and race wins, and the drive to continually top the competitors because those factors drive sales. Unfortunately IMO that has led us to bikes that are more at home on the track than they are on public roads. Not that I dont love sporty high performance bikes but for me a combination of performace / sportyness and sensible ride-ability / comfort make for a much better motorcycle.

Dont get me wrong - there's definitely a place for exotica and the pinnacle of race focused machinery, I just dont want to ride a bike like that every day. I guess that's why I own several super nakeds and sold my last sportbike a few years ago.

Edit - oh wait I still own a sportbike - its just nearly 40 years old.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts