Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
It's pretty amazing. I think that they knocked it out of the park wit this bike. It's WSBK homologation spec but turned up to 11.

It's the only V4 model that got me off the sidelines.

·
Official Retired Person
7,353 Posts
Wow.

Just Wow!

·
Bon Vivant
10,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The whole superleggera line are bikes like no other manufacturer can offer to the public with the most precious and exotic parts available to date - a factory racer for people with deep pockets and an astute sense of the worlds ultimate in craftsmanship and engineering. a motorcycle to dream of owning and of no real use to 99.9% of riders.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Damn shame about those wings!
I try to not say anything at all if I don't have anything nice or constructive to say, but I have to get this off my chest..
Why can't Ducati, a company known for it's beautiful design come up with something better than those hideous wings? Yes, yes, functionality over form, blah blah blah, but Honda with it's new Blade, and Aprilia with the latest RSV4 have managed to add aero functionality that is neatly integrated into the design of the bike, instead of these unsightly appendages that look like they've been knocked up and tacked on by some overly enthusiastic backyard mechanic. For me they totally ruin the look and appeal of what I'm sure is an otherwise incredible sporting creation.
Ok, I got that off my chest, I feel better now. Apologies for the bout of negativity, but I was looking forward to this bike and I'm disappointed in Ducati, I'm certain they could have done better
I wonder if they can be removed? Realistically they'd probably only be really useful coming over the crest on the front straight at Mugello..

·
Registered
548 Posts
Excellently shot & edited video, as the machine deserves. Now Ducati need to get nostalgic, roll out the moulds & tooling and release a 916 tribute done to the same standard c/w titanium trellis etc :)

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
The whole superleggera line are bikes like no other manufacturer can offer to the public with the most precious and exotic parts available to date - a factory racer for people with deep pockets and an astute sense of the worlds ultimate in craftsmanship and engineering. a motorcycle to dream of owning and of no real use to 99.9% of riders.
Well that begs the question, what's "no real use?"

It's not a back hoe, or an ox cart, or a wheel barrow; it's a sporting motorcycle. I would argue that its use is to thrill its owner to the maximum thrill they can tolerate.

We can argue all day about what that looks like or doesn't look like and of course it's going to vary from person to person but at the end of the day this isn't some industrial machine that has some blue collar job to do. It's one and only job is to bring excitement to its owner (ideally when they throw a leg over it and fly into turn 1 at their favorite track or rip through their favorite canyon but that will vary too) and I suspect that it will do that quite well.

At the end of the day, even the base V4 is way too much for public roads. I have said before that I have so much fun on my 916 bikes and 900SS and the extra that I would get from these new bikes would come into play less than 3% of the time that it's just not worth it. But every now and then something comes along that is just so special that even though it's marginal utility is so relatively minute, the specialness it exudes just can't be ignored. And if that's not a major part of the "real use" of this bike, then I don't know what is.

Damn shame about those wings!
I try to not say anything at all if I don't have anything nice or constructive to say, but I have to get this off my chest..
Why can't Ducati, a company known for it's beautiful design come up with something better than those hideous wings? Yes, yes, functionality over form, blah blah blah, but Honda with it's new Blade, and Aprilia with the latest RSV4 have managed to add aero functionality that is neatly integrated into the design of the bike, instead of these unsightly appendages that look like they've been knocked up and tacked on by some overly enthusiastic backyard mechanic. For me they totally ruin the look and appeal of what I'm sure is an otherwise incredible sporting creation.
Ok, I got that off my chest, I feel better now. Apologies for the bout of negativity, but I was looking forward to this bike and I'm disappointed in Ducati, I'm certain they could have done better
I wonder if they can be removed? Realistically they'd probably only be really useful coming over the crest on the front straight at Mugello..
So I have not said anything on here (and maybe I'm not supposed to at all) but I guess this is as good of a time as any. Although I may delete this later if I think it's too much.

I was invited to buy one of these at the start of the year before it was announced to the public. Subsequent to that initial invite, I received an invitation to the fly to Bologna in January to see it at the design studio. They sent me all the technical specs and images and videos of all the individual systems. With the documentation on each system they sent to me, I gradually went from, "no way in hell" to "wow, that's not so bad," to "jeez, that's really amazing," to "okay, maybe I need to get one."

And then they sent the images of the whole bike together with the bodywork for the first time. And I was like, "those wings are the ugliest thing that I've seen since the Pontiac Aztec; I'm out."

Full disclosure: I hate the wings on the regular V4. And I have ridden at the track on a V4R with the wings and one without and I do know that they make a difference in that environment. I have no issue with that. But a road bike doesn't live on the track and should be an elegant thing for the environment in which it lives and the job it has to do.

But a week or so after I had a face to face sit down with the powers that be at Ducati and I said that I loved the bike a ton but the wings are hideous and why would someone want to ride one on the street with those things? They went into this whole thing about the design department's insistence on the wings and all the functionality they provide. That said, I came to the conclusion that they're viewing the wings as they viewed the color on the other Superleggera - a key differentiator and a key part of the design. But for me, riding on the street (and it is a street bike, after all) with those is akin to the kid in his Honda Civic with the wings and splitters and canards all over the stupid thing. Plus it takes away from an otherwise stellar bike and design.

Finally, I said that I would only order one if they could do a few special things for me - one of them being supplying me with one without the wings. I won't bore you with the details but it took a little back and forth with Bologna and I had to show them a few things but eventually they agreed and we came up with a solution together that wouldn't hurt the homologation process and would ensure that I would get a completely homologated bike that satisfies their legal department. They got the rest of my requests sorted and I handed them the deposit and the order.

So the short answer to your question is "yes."

·
Bon Vivant
10,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well that begs the question, what's "no real use?"

It's not a back hoe, or an ox cart, or a wheel barrow; it's a sporting motorcycle. I would argue that its use is to thrill its owner to the maximum thrill they can tolerate.

We can argue all day about what that looks like or doesn't look like and of course it's going to vary from person to person but at the end of the day this isn't some industrial machine that has some blue collar job to do. It's one and only job is to bring excitement to its owner (ideally when they throw a leg over it and fly into turn 1 at their favorite track or rip through their favorite canyon but that will vary too) and I suspect that it will do that quite well.

At the end of the day, even the base V4 is way too much for public roads. I have said before that I have so much fun on my 916 bikes and 900SS and the extra that I would get from these new bikes would come into play less than 3% of the time that it's just not worth it. But every now and then something comes along that is just so special that even though it's marginal utility is so relatively minute, the specialness it exudes just can't be ignored. And if that's not a major part of the "real use" of this bike, then I don't know what is.

So I have not said anything on here (and maybe I'm not supposed to at all) but I guess this is as good of a time as any. Although I may delete this later if I think it's too much.

I was invited to buy one of these at the start of the year before it was announced to the public. Subsequent to that initial invite, I received an invitation to the fly to Bologna in January to see it at the design studio. They sent me all the technical specs and images and videos of all the individual systems. With the documentation on each system they sent to me, I gradually went from, "no way in hell" to "wow, that's not so bad," to "jeez, that's really amazing," to "okay, maybe I need to get one."

And then they sent the images of the whole bike together with the bodywork for the first time. And I was like, "those wings are the ugliest thing that I've seen since the Pontiac Aztec; I'm out."

Full disclosure: I hate the wings on the regular V4. And I have ridden at the track on a V4R with the wings and one without and I do know that they make a difference in that environment. I have no issue with that. But a road bike doesn't live on the track and should be an elegant thing for the environment in which it lives and the job it has to do.

But a week or so after I had a face to face sit down with the powers that be at Ducati and I said that I loved the bike a ton but the wings are hideous and why would someone want to ride one on the street with those things? They went into this whole thing about the design department's insistence on the wings and all the functionality they provide. That said, I came to the conclusion that they're viewing the wings as they viewed the color on the other Superleggera - a key differentiator and a key part of the design. But for me, riding on the street (and it is a street bike, after all) with those is akin to the kid in his Honda Civic with the wings and splitters and canards all over the stupid thing. Plus it takes away from an otherwise stellar bike and design.

Finally, I said that I would only order one if they could do a few special things for me - one of them being supplying me with one without the wings. I won't bore you with the details but it took a little back and forth with Bologna and I had to show them a few things but eventually they agreed and we came up with a solution together that wouldn't hurt the homologation process and would ensure that I would get a completely homologated bike that satisfies their legal department. They got the rest of my requests sorted and I handed them the deposit and the order.

So the short answer to your question is "yes."

As for my statement about "no real use" my intent was to imply no real use beyond what any other modern superbikes can deliver for the 99.9% of us who are normal human beings. All modern sportbikes are beyond us (with few exceptions) and the SL goes WAY beyond that in its performance and capability. However, I do agree and hope that I implied in my statement preceding that the bike is a piece of modern ingenuity and excellence and in that case its very presence and the power of ownership of such a lustful item can be completely fulfilling to the right connoisseur. I suspect you to be that person Sherpa. I certainly could be could I afford it.

As for the wings, I have a very different take on the subject and it goes way back to Ducatis roots and their entry into the US market. Way back in the 50's Ducati was building motorcycles with sporting ergonomics. Quick nimble bikes with clip-on handlebars and rear-set footpegs are what every young enthusiast wanted in Italy, Spain and most of Europe. But in America a different culure was developing and we had very little exposure to sporting or racing motorcycles except on dirt tracks. Our ideas about bikes took a different road. Ducati had to bastardize their designs for many years in order to sell bikes over here adding "buckhorn" bars, forward placed foot controls and stupid crashbars. We just didnt get it. Now most of those sporting bikes that are restored over here ditch the US appendages and change the bikes back over to the Euro styling.

I see the wings on the new bikes in much the same way - yes a few of us are a little more savvy about racing bikes these days but we are still a little stuck in our conservative approach and are unwilling to accept the wings, maybe even a little embarrased because we know that the general public would have no clue and might laugh the way we do at those Honda Civics with the formula 1 wings on them. I see this reluctance to accept the wings exactly the same as our early reluctance to accept clip-ons and rear-sets. And I'd bet that any collector in the future who wants an SL will not want one that has been "Americanized" just like I wouldn't want a Diana 250 with buckhorn bars...

It is a key differentiator and one that sets the bike apart just like the aero on an early Lambo. Dude you are not copying the kids with their civics with this thing - they will be copying you. The bike is supposed to have those wings just like a McLaren Sena or a later Countach... I'd ride that bike with pride - let the ignorant laugh.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
All good points. However, my thing isn't that people would be laughing at me with the wings (I have addressed that whole thing in another thread) but more that I think that they detract from an otherwise incredibly beautiful bike with something that's unnecessary for 99% of the time.

Would I put them on when I go to the track? Quite probably because, as I said, I know the difference they make on the track from first hand experience with the V4R. That said, I would like the option of not having them on when I go to my Colorado canyons and go through the turns at something less than 100mph.

Now, I will accept that I might 1000% be the ignorant American akin to your example from the 50's and I would love to come around to loving the wings eventually. They're undoubtedly the way of the future and it's best that I learn to love them. But, for now at least, I don't and as long as I can have a bike that looks how I want it to look while still being to enjoy it, I would like to go for that route.

And, to support your point that you have made at other times, yes the wings are totally functional, not marketing gimmicks, and born out of racing as everything on a real Ducati Superbike should be. I know that I'm on the wrong side of the equation here but I am grateful that Ducati would help me out with this this one time.

·
Premium Member
3,898 Posts
I would like blanking options for the winglets (If I was buying one... which I’m not... sadly) that are integral to the bike design (rather than some bolt on aftermarket thing that will likely have it's own design issues). I watched a build video on the SFv4s and it looked like it's winglets may be fairly easy to remove and blank off and MAYBE a blanking panel design could be well enough integrated into the bike that it wouldn't look out of place. The problem with the Pani is the design is FAR more sensitive to unbalanced visual changes (because lets face it... streetfighters have a "weird protrusion" aesthetic anyway, the Pani does not).

Reactions: Sherpa23F

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,072 Posts
I love the wings. I want some to put on my 400. I’m thinking it could help in hi speed sweepers besides looking cool. Don’t laugh. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Only exception to this would have to be the BMW HP4 Race only it's not street legal but it's every bit a
one off best of everything bike just like the Superleggera's.

·
19,072 Posts
Only exception to this would have to be the BMW HP4 Race only it's not street legal but it's every bit a
one off best of everything bike just like the Superleggera's.
Absolutely. And I can’t understand truly appreciating bikes like this without doing it on a track.

·
Bon Vivant
10,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have absolutely no need to ride a bike to appreciate it and even to get fulfillment from owning it. But If I had an SL or even any of the new Ducs with winglets I'd proudly ride those bikes fully winged up! ;) 👍

·
19,072 Posts
Bingo! About not even needing to ride to appreciate. Few will admit that but I’m one of them too.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Sherpa, I have to say that was a very interesting disclosure! Partially because, I think it was over at the Panigale specific forum, but you had posted recently going into greater detail about your upcoming SL acquisition, and you mentioned having made some special arangements with the factory. When I read that I thought to myself "oooh, I hope the Sherpa, a man of good taste and sensibility, is having those wings removed" And you are! Fantastic! Can't wait to see photos. Have you decided if you're going to stick with the regular full Akro exhaust, or are you going to go for something more special like you have on your 1199 SL?

Flynbulldog, Being that I've immersed myself completely in F1 racing and all things high performance cars since the age of 10, and sportbikes and moto racing since the age of 16, I vaguely resent the insinuation my lack of acceptance of the wings on the V4SL is borne of ignorance about their purpose. But I do understand your point..
Like I said ealier, I understand exactly why they're there, I understand Ducati's pride in having started the aero revolution in motogp, etc. I just believe they could have done a better job with these wings looks wise given the SL is a "road bike". If it was track only like the HP4 Race, I'd be far more forgiving..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts