Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
If you want to beat your buddies then go beat them at a track day. Going faster on public roads is all about taking risks. i would not spend much money on the hyper. My 950 SP with the full Termi system and a lithium battery is maybe 415 lbs with gas. Not bad. I traded a Panigale V4s for the Hyper because I could not resist going way too fast on public roads on that thing. Great bike though. Have you considered a V4 Streetfighter? I have added some carbon fiber bits to my Hyper but just for the look. Otherwise I like it just the way it is. I am 63 and at my age I could care less who its faster. I am riding for fun for me. I did tons of track days and regularly ran in the advanced group and had a lot of fun, but the racers also ran in that group and a lot of those riders would just go streaking by me, making it look easy. Also I have done a lot of riding schools on the track and have seen instructors on clapped out 600 sport bikes running circles around open class bikes with the latest tech. If you want to throw a ton of time and money at your Hyper because you want to do it for the hell of it then go for it. That is always my excuse now:) Probably won't make you much faster though.

·
Registered
13 Posts

1. What do you have done to yours?
I have pulled the air box out and added the TPO Beast-R stacks, Leo Vince mid pipe, gutted the stock exhaust, carbon fiber open clutch cover and have a Ballistic LiFePo battery which about 10 lbs lighter than stock. My bike is around 385lbs to 390lbs full of fuel. I am running the Tuneboy setup in it, spent 5 hrs on a dyno getting it dialed in. I gained lots of HP and torque, most of that coming from the airbox removal i believe. I went from 106.7 hp @7400rpm to 113.2 hp @7600rpm and 91.6 lb ft @4725rpm to 95.2 lb ft @4675rpm.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I agree with what others have already posted. Your bike, and mine, are powered by a 2V air cooled motor that has long since been abandoned for water cooling, 4v, and electronic advancements. I spent many years in the air cooled 911 Porsche world ('86 Carrera Coupe) and know just enough to be dangerous when it comes to money and performance. In that world a person can easily spend $20K for a 3.4L dual spark upgrade and net maybe 40hp, or spend the same money for a 3.6L transplant for 60hp. That on top of a 200 hp motor stock for the 3.2L years. Or they could sell their air cooled 911 and basically swap over even money for a early/mid 2000's era 911 (996/997) with over 300 hp and kills the air cooled era 911 on every metric other than that elusive 'character' feel.

Spending money on carbon bits in search of less weight is IMO a fools errand. How much do you weigh? If like me it would make more sense to drop a few pounds in body weight, better health, less money spent keeping it up, haha. You have a bunch of threads going here, happy to see someone so excited about their HM, but don't discount the advice of those who have been around that block a couple times. Ride safe!

·
Registered
469 Posts
My feeling is that the fastest person on the street will always be the biggest dick-head. The safety of other road users diminshes as your speed rises. Sure I spent the mandatory period as an over-hormonal squid prepared to do anything it took to get/stay in front of any bike that crossed my path and I was lucky enough to survive that and grow up. Still, there would always be some crazy who'd spend more time on the wrong side of the road, who'd scare the bejeesus out more mothers driving their kids home, who'd do more to destroy the image of bikers to the general public and he'd get away from me. The bike really didn't make that much difference, even less nowadays when the performance available is soooo far away from usable on the street.
As they say, wanna beat your buddies properly, take it to the track (please).

·
Registered
301 Posts
Squeezing an extra 30 HP out of a 2 valve air cooled motor ? Your dreaming ..
I’m no expert. But it’s doable if you work the engine right. There is a shop in Ft Lauderdale Florida, that builds racing bikes out of these engines but that requires one of your kidney as first payment deposit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have pulled the air box out and added the TPO Beast-R stacks, Leo Vince mid pipe, gutted the stock exhaust, carbon fiber open clutch cover and have a Ballistic LiFePo battery which about 10 lbs lighter than stock. My bike is around 385lbs to 390lbs full of fuel. I am running the Tuneboy setup in it, spent 5 hrs on a dyno getting it dialed in. I gained lots of HP and torque, most of that coming from the airbox removal i believe. I went from 106.7 hp @7400rpm to 113.2 hp @7600rpm and 91.6 lb ft @4725rpm to 95.2 lb ft @4675rpm.
Those numbers seem impossible without more work than that, particularly the torque figure. Sounds like a happy dyno!

·
Registered
2012 Ducati HyperMotard 1100 Evo SP carbon fiber everything, yoshi pipes, intake, ecu, tune
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I’m no expert. But it’s doable if you work the engine right. There is a shop in Ft Lauderdale Florida, that builds racing bikes out of these engines but that requires one of your kidney as first payment deposit.
I know it’s not the most financially feasible but I just love how it rides. I can’t go back to the crouching and I need more horsepower.

·
Registered
2012 Ducati HyperMotard 1100 Evo SP carbon fiber everything, yoshi pipes, intake, ecu, tune
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
My feeling is that the fastest person on the street will always be the biggest dick-head. The safety of other road users diminshes as your speed rises. Sure I spent the mandatory period as an over-hormonal squid prepared to do anything it took to get/stay in front of any bike that crossed my path and I was lucky enough to survive that and grow up. Still, there would always be some crazy who'd spend more time on the wrong side of the road, who'd scare the bejeesus out more mothers driving their kids home, who'd do more to destroy the image of bikers to the general public and he'd get away from me. The bike really didn't make that much difference, even less nowadays when the performance available is soooo far away from usable on the street.
As they say, wanna beat your buddies properly, take it to the track (please).
And I agree with you 100% about the fastest being the biggest dickhead. I didn’t mean challenging someone to a race formally like a movie duel. Whenever I’ve encountered people or scenarios like that they crash and I feel bad, something breaks on someone’s bike, or the cops get involved or someone is accused of cheating somehow. I just mean when I’m riding among my friends if we are in turns under 100 on less than perfect roads I smoke most anything. The suspension allows me to cruise through things their bikes can’t. However I do feel somewhere at the end of third going into fourth those four cylinders pull on me. Not hard but they do pull. If I could make up for that I take such a harder line in the turns and can do such better late stable braking than I would feel confident spotting them horsepower and top end. As it stands though they act like they are faster because their bike goes in a straight line faster meanwhile when we are actually riding our bikes everywhere but a straight line they can’t even stay with me. That’s all I meant. I’ve been riding since I was 18. I had my bad crash at 21 and I stopped stunting and riding recklessly. That’s why I moved to Ducati figuring if I got a pretty bike I’d be less Apt to want to damage it.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts