Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Ducati HyperMotard 1100 Evo SP carbon fiber everything, yoshi pipes, intake, ecu, tune
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 2012 ducati hypermotard 1100 evo sp.
I have dreamed of superleggars my whole life but without 100k its hard to get a new one.
MY question to you is, what weight reducing mods can i do to my evo sp to get the weight down. i would like to make my hyper lightweight in the spirit of the superleggara. i know its already lighter than the regular hypermotards, and i am working on carbon fibering everything from the nose to the fairings. the tail and plastic over the rear light is already carbon fiber as well as the fork guards and rear hugger, and the time belt covers. i am going to carbon fiber them all. then i was thinking of lighting the flywheel. I dont want to get rid of my forged wheels, or my brembos, but in the name of light weight is there anything else i can do?

MY problem is this. I love my bike. Love it. But it doesn't have enough power for me anymore. it has the low end torque but my friends with crotch rockets clearly have more power. it doesnt matter on roads with turns because i can chop their lines and use my torque to pull on them, but any road with an average speed of 120+ they pull on me. And its not fun to lure them onto a bump road to watch them crash just to prove youd smoke them on those roads.

So i have a dilemna, do i get rid of a bike which i love most things about it, it just isnt fast enough. Or do i find way to make it faster. So far i ordered full pipes, termi, power commander 5, velocity stacks, and a day of dyno tuning. i am going to see how that feels. and if i have to continue then next year i suppose i will get heads and cams or go down a tooth in the front, and just mayve up atooth in the back.
Thoughts? how can i make it lighter?!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Exhaust and subframe and battery are the 3 big weight loss
items for your bike anything else is big $ for small gains.

Sounds like you need to try a 1290 SDR you will stay with
the crotch rockets but still be a hooligan.

·
Registered
2012 Ducati HyperMotard 1100 Evo SP carbon fiber everything, yoshi pipes, intake, ecu, tune
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exhaust and subframe and battery are the 3 big weight loss
items for your bike anything else is big $ for small gains.

Sounds like you need to try a 1290 SDR you will stay with
the crotch rockets but still be a hooligan.
Super duke? they're huge. i want something smaller not bigger. and as much as they smoke me in straight lines i have been smoking them in tight roads with bumps.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have the carbon fiber termi exhaust now so that should help but where do i get a lighter subframe and battery? do they make specific ones? or should i be ordering a specific exhaust? id prefer to keep it undertail if i can but i have to imagine the carbon fiber termi is lighter?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
lithium battery cuts 8 lbs or more aluminum subframe cut 8 lbs anything else is measured
in Oz.

Well if you really want something lighter get a 690SMCR supermoto they will smoke any hyper in the twisty's
but then you will fall back even further in the straights its a no win situation just enjoy the Hyper for
what it is or move on.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if the hyper had 75 more HP it would be my dream bike....i cant give up

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
out on the streets in the country where its windy and the roads suck the suspension more than makes up for that. you cant catch me in a crotch rocket if your suspension is maxing out every twenty feet and your low or high siding through turns. if i could just get it up somewhere around 150 between the suspension, the shorter gears, and the braking i will do just fine against any bike as long as i stay off the highway

·
Registered
357 Posts
I don’t get it - on the one hand you want a bike that can do 120 in a straight line easily, on the other hand you want a smaller bike? My suggestion is two bikes: hyper and then get your own crotch rocket. U will never make your hyper something that can hang with a sport bike in a straight line. I don’t care how many mods your put on - you will be a sail sitting upright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know but after about five years of riding hyper I’ve found a way to tuck pretty good to 145 but as soon as you take a normal position and slap the brakes the wind slows you to 80. In windy roads I smoke my friends gsxr 750s. I chop their lines and torque my way out until I’m way ahead. But in a straight line they will run me down. If I could pull harder during those times my bike has naturally advantages like bumpy parts in the road or coming through a turn, I could easily make enough time then to not worry about the rest.
If I cared that much about it I’d just go buy a cheap gsxr1000 and run them down. I was tempted to get a v4 panigale or if I could afford it super leggera but I just have some much fun on my hyper. I can’t even describe how fun they are. If I could just keep making it faster as I get going.

·
1,763 Posts
Exhaust system, subframe and battery are the 3 easiest and the cheapest ones. The next to get would be the carbon fiber wheels, the lightest tires and the ceramic brake rotors. You probably would want to replace the chain and the sprockets since those are the sprung weight. The only big weight savings after that would be the main frame and the engine/axle bolts. There are some carbon fiber/magnesium parts as well, but the weight saving would be minimal.

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Even if you lighten everything to the max extreme possible and the most optimally conceivable aftermarket fueling/exhaust combo it won't be enough.

But lets assume you could build a mythical 300lb motard that put out 200 hp. Would it be ridable? You cant turn a bike unless you have weight on front. If this were a valid concept, don't you thing professional racers would be racing this style bike. Every bike design is going to have strengths and weaknesses. You can't throw power at a motard and have it perform every bit as fast as a sport bike and still keep it's flickable character.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm trying really hard to keep my opinion out of this thread but im struggling to do so.

This is such a "bro" topic with a pin prick of intelligence behind it. I can understand wanting more power to a certain degree but there are design limitations behind everything. You cannot have your cake and eat it too. The closest thing that will come close to giving you what you want is a KTM 1290 SDR. Its got enough character, enough horsepower and enough of a "Motard" feeling behind it to satisfy your absurd desire to do 150 mph on a naked, upright, dirt bike style motorcycle on PUBLIC roads.

I don't know how old you are but I would strongly suggest you sit down and really take an introspective look at how your ego is driving you. I would also take a long hard look at your friends. Eventually, one of you will die riding in the manner that you describe, or worse yet, you will hurt or kill someone else. Take your egos to the track and chase each other there in a controlled, regulated environment.

These days, I smile the most when I see Grom clubs going through my city where I work. I never hassle them and I smile as I watch them playfully chase each other at reasonable speeds. Even when they go beyond speed limits I simply let it go as I know that they still possess a reasonable degree of reaction time based upon their speed and the speed limit of the road. These are the guys that make motorcycling fun and give it a good name. Guy's ripping around at triple digit speeds are the ones that make people say "look at that asshole". Don't be that guy.

Ok, I'm taking my dad hat off.

Making the bike lighter is not going to do anything for you. Its actually going to make things worse. The lighter you go, the harder it is to maintain a straight line at speed when you start adding in wind buffeting. The better course of action would be to bore out the motor and have a custom shop work their magic in order to increase the horsepower that the bike makes. Perhaps even consider an engine swap to one of Ducati's higher horsepower motors. All in, this will probably cost you less than attempting to buy a superlegera lol. Still, you're going to ruin a perfectly good motorcycle that was not designed to do what you want it to do. There is literally, no point. Buy something that fits your arguably crazy ass lifestyle, not the other way around.

I will leave you with this.

I have had some FAST ass bikes since i started riding in 2014. I currently have a 1290 SDR in my garage and JUST picked up a hyper 950. The 950 hasn't gone over 120 MPH and I dont ever want to as its horrible at that speed. I took it there to see what it could do and I was miserable. The shining light behind all of this is that from 0-60 it is so absurdly fun and playful. Just romping around on this thing around town is an absolute blast and I'm not trying to turn into the SDR, or the Tuono that I had or anything of that sort. Its not a race bike. Its not a drag bike and its not ever going to be a V4R.

Good luck with your quest. Please ride safe.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I'm trying really hard to keep my opinion out of this thread but im struggling to do so.

This is such a "bro" topic with a pin prick of intelligence behind it. I can understand wanting more power to a certain degree but there are design limitations behind everything. You cannot have your cake and eat it too. The closest thing that will come close to giving you what you want is a KTM 1290 SDR. Its got enough character, enough horsepower and enough of a "Motard" feeling behind it to satisfy your absurd desire to do 150 mph on a naked, upright, dirt bike style motorcycle on PUBLIC roads.

I don't know how old you are but I would strongly suggest you sit down and really take an introspective look at how your ego is driving you. I would also take a long hard look at your friends. Eventually, one of you will die riding in the manner that you describe, or worse yet, you will hurt or kill someone else. Take your egos to the track and chase each other there in a controlled, regulated environment.

These days, I smile the most when I see Grom clubs going through my city where I work. I never hassle them and I smile as I watch them playfully chase each other at reasonable speeds. Even when they go beyond speed limits I simply let it go as I know that they still possess a reasonable degree of reaction time based upon their speed and the speed limit of the road. These are the guys that make motorcycling fun and give it a good name. Guy's ripping around at triple digit speeds are the ones that make people say "look at that asshole". Don't be that guy.

Ok, I'm taking my dad hat off.

Making the bike lighter is not going to do anything for you. Its actually going to make things worse. The lighter you go, the harder it is to maintain a straight line at speed when you start adding in wind buffeting. The better course of action would be to bore out the motor and have a custom shop work their magic in order to increase the horsepower that the bike makes. Perhaps even consider an engine swap to one of Ducati's higher horsepower motors. All in, this will probably cost you less than attempting to buy a superlegera lol. Still, you're going to ruin a perfectly good motorcycle that was not designed to do what you want it to do. There is literally, no point. Buy something that fits your arguably crazy ass lifestyle, not the other way around.

I will leave you with this.

I have had some FAST ass bikes since i started riding in 2014. I currently have a 1290 SDR in my garage and JUST picked up a hyper 950. The 950 hasn't gone over 120 MPH and I dont ever want to as its horrible at that speed. I took it there to see what it could do and I was miserable. The shining light behind all of this is that from 0-60 it is so absurdly fun and playful. Just romping around on this thing around town is an absolute blast and I'm not trying to turn into the SDR, or the Tuono that I had or anything of that sort. Its not a race bike. Its not a drag bike and its not ever going to be a V4R.

Good luck with your quest. Please ride safe.
As I was reading the original post and all the replies, I was wondering why nobody addressed the ego end of this post. I was going to, but then I saw yours. Well done.

I had a 2008 Hyper and was riding with my R1 friends all of the time. When I wasn't with them, the hyper was great, but when I was with them, the hyper worked pretty hard with their 80-100 mph cruising speeds. Over time, I just decided that between where I lived (Arizona, few curvy roads) and who I rode with, that I was better off getting something different. You know, if you can't beat them, join them. I bought another R1, my third generation.

Yada, yada, yada, I move to California where the twisty roads flow like wine.... err, something like that. Anyway, my latest iteration of an R1(ish), my FZ-10, is now for sale while I am tearing up the California mountain roads on my Hyper 939SP. The FZ-10, while awesome for running with the boys in AZ., is just way too much bike, read "unnecessary", for the riding that I'm doing now.

Moral of the story; buy the bike that suits your riding because you can't make a bike do what it's not designed to do.

As a bonus; STOP RACING YOUR STUPID FRIENDS ON THE STREET. If proving who is faster by "cutting their lines" and pushing the limits is what they do, get some new friends. It will save you the heartache of a funeral or two anyway. To qualify my statement, I am 53 years old and have been riding on the street since I was 17. I have been the fastest rider of all my friends in the three states that I have lived, but NEVER was that determined by racing on the street and it was never a title that was fought for. Ride smart, ride smooth, focus on lines, braking and throttle control. Train, read, learn. Then it won't matter what they buy.

Dave

·
Registered
122 Posts
Why not get another bike? The hyper is a play bike. It also reinforces the old adage of it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.
This adage exists for a reason. Its simply true. I wouldn't call the hyper 950 slow by any means but comparatively speaking, when placed next to a Tuono or SDR, it is. I am absolutely loving having to feel like im "pushing" the bike, wringing out more of the throttle to zip around how I want to zip around. It makes the riding more engaging when you're not doing 90 mph in first gear and absolutely terrified because your shoulder sockets hurt. Dont get me wrong, that in and of itself is fun but its a different kind of fun that has its place and honestly, gets old after a while. Changing things up really makes motorcycling interesting.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have been riding for almost twenty years. I didn’t mean full blown racing as I haven’t had an accident in about ten years and I was stunting even during that. I just mean health competition on abandoned roads where you can see the entrance and exit to an s turn amongst veteran riders.
mans I agree, I bought the bike that suites me and what kind of riding I want to do. But it bothers me that with a little bit of extra horsepower I could beat them even on their home turf. I am not talking about risking lines or “days of thunder” line chopping. I just mean safety among friends. I know if I could squeeze 30 horsepower out of this none of then would touch me. And it feels like when they think they have a chance they’re more apt to take risky passes or push their riding past the point of safety.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
20 horsepower plus a 40 lbs drop is the same thing. It’s doable

1 - 20 of 50 Posts