Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone a method of getting them out. Although the bike was under a cover something was placed on the tank briefly that left a scratch and smudges. The smudges I was sure would clean off but they wont. It looks like they are very dull/light scuff marks.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Meguiars Mirror Glaze #7 and a soft clean cotton cloth, preferably terry cloth or a cloth diaper, rubbed by hand will remove most small surface imperfections nicely. I use it on the delicate nitrocellulose lacquer finishes on the fine guitars I sell and repair in my shop, so it will work fine on your tank. If you can feel the scratch with a fingernail it will need more serious attention and probably over spray to fill the depression. Work beyond most guys pay scale.

Terry
[email protected]

Reactions: YMRacing

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
As StraDuc noted it really depends on how deep the scratches are.

If light buffing with a mild scratch remover like the one StraDuc mentioned by hand is not sufficient then a light cut with a mild cutting compound and medium pad followed by a polish and fine pad might be in order.

I did this recently on the tank of my triumph as I had several scratches in the clear from a few years of riding with the ex (she decided to use the tank for support instead of me :mad:)

Mine were deep enough that a light polish by hand would never have gotten them out though and I had to break out the orbital polisher. I went ahead and did a full paint correction across the entire upper surface of the tank though knocking down all the orange peel with 2500 first before going over the whole tank with the cutting compound.

If you don't have access to this stuff, or don't feel comfortable doing it most good body shops should have no problem buffing out some scratches for a few bucks on the side.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great Terry. Nothing that can be detected by fingernail so good there. I'll get that Maguires, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dan ,that will be my back up solution.
As StraDuc noted it really depends on how deep the scratches are.

If light buffing with a mild scratch remover like the one StraDuc mentioned by hand is not sufficient then a light cut with a mild cutting compound and medium pad followed by a polish and fine pad might be in order.

I did this recently on the tank of my triumph as I had several scratches in the clear from a few years of riding with the ex (she decided to use the tank for support instead of me :mad:)

Mine were deep enough that a light polish by hand would never have gotten them out though and I had to break out the orbital polisher. I went ahead and did a full paint correction across the entire upper surface of the tank though knocking down all the orange peel with 2500 first before going over the whole tank with the cutting compound.

If you don't have access to this stuff, or don't feel comfortable doing it most good body shops should have no problem buffing out some scratches for a few bucks on the side.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Be sure you get #7 Meguiars. Accept no substitutes... it's the best and I've tried just about everything. Most large Auto parts stores should have it.

Reactions: YMRacing

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
instrument gage

Off topic but related, my digital gage on my pani has what appears to be dried salt stains on it. Have no idea how it got there. I've haven't used any solvents as of yet to attempt to clean out of fear of further damage. Only light dish soap and microfiber towel. Any suggestions

6,048 Posts
Try Ballistol
works on everything-else.
Caution: it stinks but works.

Off topic but related, my digital gage on my pani has what appears to be dried salt stains on it. Have no idea how it got there. I've haven't used any solvents as of yet to attempt to clean out of fear of further damage. Only light dish soap and microfiber towel. Any suggestions

6,048 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have the same swirls on my tank. I appreciate the tips but would love to hear some other tips on waxing the painted parts of our bikes, which i would guess really apply to all or most bikes. Anyone want to share some tips on getting that deep shine. I use meguiar's wax but it is their basic wax, don't remember the exact one. Swirls are still there. Is it worth using a clay bar before. I see they have a new product called Mirror Bright as well. Would love to hear a good step by step on waxing the tank and fairings.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have the same swirls on my tank... I use meguiar's wax but it is their basic wax, don't remember the exact one... Swirls are still there... Would love to hear a good step by step on waxing the tank and fairings.
Wax will not remove surface imperfections. As I posted above, the Meguiars Mirror Glaze #7 will remove the swirls as long as they are superficial. Do this before the wax obviously. I buy 100% cotton flannel by the yard at the fabric store to use as the applicator when I'm restoring the finish on nice guitars. Cut it into about 1 foot squares... 30 cm if you are in the rest of the civilized world. You can do it with a buffer, but if you are not skilled with the tool and want to machine buff then start with a FOAM pad on your drill not a lambs wool or hard pad as they will burn thru the finish if you don't have the skill set and don't keep moving fast enough. The foam won't burn as long as you don't just sit in one place with it running for five minutes. Best to do it by hand however. Shake up the #7, apply a little to the cotton pad, rub and turn the pad often. Repeat as necessary. Change out the pad regularly. If this doesn't make it clear, watch the first "The Karate Kid" movie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fULNUr0rvEc

Reactions: sunstar557

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tried Straduc's method yesterday and can only say that its a success. I attempted to document it but the tank is so shiny I failed to get a before shot even. Anyway if a novice has anything to add is less is more. I had more success with the smallest amount of product and don't be afraid to put a bit of pressure on it. I was using an old but clean white T-Shirt. I bet the suggested flannel works better so I'm gonna get some of that.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
The tip

The key to removing hairline scratches and swirls is a soft clean applicator for your favorite product. This is best applicator I've found.

Tear off a small piece, wet it with water, and squeeze it till it's only damp (important). Now, use it to apply your favorite cleaner or wax. Tease it apart frequently to reveal a fresh clean cotton matte surface, and throw it away when it gets slightly dirty with any embedded grime (most important). Polish with a well-laundered old cotton T-shirt. The roll of cotton will last for years and so will your new paint.

CVS Rolled Cotton - CVS.com

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
Tried Straduc's method yesterday and can only say that its a success..
I'm glad the Meguiars #7 did the trick for you Speir. Used correctly it is an amazing product but remember that it is resurfacing the tank so don't do it too often as you are actually removing a tiny amount of finish every time you do so. If you do it too often you will eventually cut thru the clear coat and it won't be a pretty sight. I have tried about everything available for this job and find the #7 is the business. After you have it polished up nice, then a coat of paste wax will keep it that way and give some protection from light surface scratches. Also as Shazaam points out, a clean cloth that is turned frequently and discarded when dirty is another key to success. If you have slightly deeper scratches (you can catch your fingernail in it) an equally amazing product is MicroMesh. I once thought it stupid expensive for "sandpaper", but after trying it I found that like #7, I couldn't live without it. However you need to be committed as you really are cutting into the paint surface with MicroMesh. If you do not have experience working with fine finishes you really should practice on something you don't care about first to learn the techniques. These two products will fix a world of bad looking stuff on finishes if you know what you are doing.

Terry
guitarworksltd.com

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm glad the Meguiars #7 did the trick for you Speir. Used correctly it is an amazing product but remember that it is resurfacing the tank so don't do it too often as you are actually removing a tiny amount of finish every time you do so. If you do it too often you will eventually cut thru the clear coat and it won't be a pretty sight.

The key to removing hairline scratches and swirls is a soft clean applicator for your favorite product. This is best applicator I've found.

Tear off a small piece, wet it with water, and squeeze it till it's only damp (important). Now, use it to apply your favorite cleaner or wax. Tease it apart frequently to reveal a fresh clean cotton matte surface, and throw it away when it gets slightly dirty with any embedded grime (most important). Polish with a well-laundered old cotton T-shirt. The roll of cotton will last for years and so will your new paint.
These are the type of tips I am looking for. Thanks to the both of you!

I've learned quite a few things from this guy as well.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYsa8SOy3TkoxI5D17s1u-w

1 - 17 of 17 Posts