Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a growing supercharger noise. I was thinking the worst, I was thinking engine main bearings. I am relieved to discover it was just belt tensioner bearings. The bearings could twist and wiggle from side to side. When out if the bike and in my hand I could shake them and they sounded like maracas. After searching around and looking at various options via crossreffencing the numbers I thought I would share what I learned. OEM pulley bearings are SKF 6004 2rsh C4HT, 6 indicates bearing design, single row deep groove. 0 indicates the width(this one doesn't make sense to me). 04 indicates diameter series(multiply by 5 gives the bore diameter of 20mm i.d.). 2rs indicated it has 2 rubber seals, one on either side. C4 indicates the clearances inside. C4 has greater clearances than a C3(C0 indicates the standard clearance. Any number larger than that indicates a greater clearance than standard. Some smaller engines request the C4 due to the heat and expansion). What this all means is you are looking for a high quality bearing of your choosing that is a deep groove ball type, 12mm wide, 42mm O.D., 20mm I.D. has rubber seals on both sides and is rated at C3 or C4. I went with Timken. One thing I learned about during all this is that counterfeit bearings are a HUGE thing. I had no idea. There are apps that allow you to scan of a bearing you purchased and it will tell you if it's ledgit. A quick, easy n dirty way to know is to weigh the bearing then look up the specs on the manufacturer website.

This will be my 3rd set of belts on this bike. It's getting easier and easier to do.

After 2 sets of official Ducati belts and many hours looking at videos and conversations I have switched to Cycleworks Exactfit belts.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I am mainly a BMW guy and I do order a lot of bearing's because of the the number of Restorations I do--I personally use SKF, ***, or Timken's I trust these 3 brands and it depends on what I can get on a given day for the best price.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am mainly a BMW guy and I do order a lot of bearing's because of the the number of Restorations I do--I personally use SKF, ***, or Timken's I trust these 3 brands and it depends on what I can get on a given day for the best price.
What's the third one, ***? Is it NTN, *** or NSK? I was searching out ceramic bearings but they are crazy expensive from any reputable brand. I did find a few 100% ceramic bearings, the whole bearing was ceramic and super cool looking.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
replace like for like, if it ran a C4 replace it with the same.

Make sure you're not running your belt tension too tight, that kind of wear is unusual unless the tension is too tight

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
replace like for like, if it ran a C4 replace it with the same.

Make sure you're not running your belt tension too tight, that kind of wear is unusual unless the tension is too tight
It's unusual even with 25,000 miles on it? I was reading in some places that the bearings should be done every(atleast every other) belt change but that wasn't on any official Ducati maintenance charts.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
What's the third one, *? Is it NTN, * or NSK? I was searching out ceramic bearings but they are crazy expensive from any reputable brand. I did find a few 100% ceramic bearings, the whole bearing was ceramic and super cool looking.
The 3rd was F.A.G. I use good quality bearings I think the Japanese bearing's are probably just as good --But I would avoid any Chinese bearings

Reactions: Rex Coil 7

·
Registered
346 Posts
It's unusual even with 25,000 miles on it? I was reading in some places that the bearings should be done every(atleast every other) belt change but that wasn't on any official Ducati maintenance charts.
Also curious to know what's normal for replacement of these bearings... my 848 has over 80,000 kilometres (not miles), and still running the original bearings on those pulleys.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I would say that there are variables --Has the bike been a motorcycle that has been used on a regular basis (ie-not sitting for years between use)--sitting is the worst thing--I have seen bearings have not been turned for years and they are absolutely buggered, --another thing is if you run without the belt covers or slotted covers that is going to add to the amount of crap getting in where the bearings are and reducing their life.
Do you live close to the ocean? the heat, humidity & salt in the air will also shorten the bearings life--There are just so many different that can effect any part on your motorcycle there is no magic answer

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I've replaced mine with less mileage than that just as a matter of course, but while i've definitely felt them be grumbly and a little noisy i've never seen any that rattle like maracas! 25k in miles is 40k in kms so yeah, that's quite a few but i wouldn't think _too_many which is why i would suggest double checking your belt tension.
Typically i do belts by years (4) these days as i just don't get time to rack up the mileage anymore, and i typically replace mine every two belt changes if i don't forget. Nothing wrong with a healthy schedule to replace something that costs bugger all either, as long as you replace them with something decent and not chinese crap or counterfeits

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
... ok so .. there's no actual "supercharger" (aka "blower") on these bikes, right? I mean, I'm so stupid I actually spent a few hours researching information regarding a forced induction system on these motorcycles. After humiliating myself I finally realized the OP is saying there was a sound emitting from his engine similar to that of the belt whine a blower makes (or the whine of a turbo) and it concerned him that the noise may be an indication of a smoked bearing. Holy SHIT I can be dense as lead.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts