Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted to Ducati.ms forums July 26, 2009
======================================================================

Hi, everyone - This is my first new thread on this forum. I have a story to tell, but will try to keep it brief though specific.

I purchased a new 848 at the end of May and love the bike. The issue is that I made the purchase being told specifically that the wheels were Marchesini's. Although after looking at the wheels with a more analytical eye, I noticed that there were no Marchesini stickers on either wheel at all. I thought it interesting and happened to be near my dealer a few days later so I stopped in to ask about it. I was reassured that the 848's all come with Marchesini wheels and that I need not worry about it. I felt somewhat better, but not completely. So I poked around at other dealers to see what was there, and the sales people were unsure as some had Marchesini stickers on the wheels and some didn't.

I gave a call over to Ducati USA for the official word and the woman I spoke with said she didn't have the specifics on hand and that she would call me back. A few days later the nice woman called back and said that they have a few 848's there and some have the Marchesini stickers and some don't. We both decided that they must be Marchesini's and the stickers were either not put on the wheels at the factory or perhaps they fell off. Hmmm...

I looked around online for weeks, looking at advertisements and literature about the superbike series and the 848 specifically, and found a few places where it mentioned that the 848's come with Marchesini wheels. Other places that listed the 848 specs didn't mention the brand of wheels at all. But ALL photos of the 2009 848 were pictured with Marchesini wheels, including in the official Ducati brochure, website and press photos.

I was still not totally happy with this seemingly unresolved question, so I decided to ask my trusted mechanic about it and after two conversations on the matter, we deemed that the brand of wheels that are on my 848 are by a Japanese company called Ennki. They have a specific sideways 'S' shaped logo stamped on the wheel. He said these are the same wheels that Suzuki and Honda use, but certainly not Marchesini's. We were all very surprised. They said that Ducati has been using Marchesini wheels on their machines for a very long time and it would be strange for them to simply stop doing so, especially on their superbike models.

The next day (July 17), I called Ducati USA again and spoke with another nice woman. I introduced myself and said I bought an 848 and have a question about the wheels. She immediately replied, "Oh, is this about the Enkki wheels?"

I was aghast. I said, "It's interesting that you bring that up. Why would would ask that?" She said that just that same morning they had received a notice from Ducati Holding s.p.a in Italy that, as of the first of the year 2009, they would be using Enkki wheels instead of Marchesini wheels. I was floored.

We spoke about how strange this seemed, as well as the fact that I was sold the bike under the specific impression that the wheels were Marchesini's. And then reassurred of that notion when I returned and inquired about it again. She told me to write an email to them at Ducati USA and they would make sure it gets to the right person at the headquarters in Italy.

Here's the big question to other 2009 848 and 1198 owners. What kind of wheels do you have? When did you purchase your machine? Were you notified of this change in wheel brands? Were you sold something you didn't receive?

I intend to get to the bottom of this and could use any help and information anyone can provide. Thanks for reading; I'm sure some others out there must have noticed this, too.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have an early production 1098, 07 base model and it appeared to have Marchesini wheels stickers and all, upon washing it just yesterday I noticed on the very inside of the wheel the brembo name? kinda strange?

·
Registered
66 Posts
It will be interesting to see the outcome of this. After plunking down that kind of money, I'd want to be sure I got what I thought I was getting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree - it will be interesting to see the outcome. I do plan on speaking with the owner of my dealership for her advice. She seems very cool and level headed and certainly would be a strong advocate in the matter. Running this up the flagpole will be a worthy endeavour, though.

flyin'duc - If the hub of your wheels say brembo, they are, indeed, Marchesini's. I think the company is acutally called the Marchesini Brembo Group or something similar. Thanks for checking. Anyone out there with a 2009 model 1198 or 848 should have a close look, too. Please reply with findings.

Another interesting note, all the official Ducati advertisements & press photos for the new Nicky Hayden edition - showing Nicky sitting on and signing the bike - specifically picture and mention that it has Marchesini wheels. There were certainly not Marchesini's on the display models at my dealership the last time I was there. And since this memo came out just recently, I wonder how the dealerships will handle the discrepancy.

·
Registered
228 Posts
this is nothing new

Marchesini and Brembo have been doing this for years. If the hub has Brembo on it, then its a cast wheel. A true Marchesini is machined, lighter, better lines and a sticker that looks better and doesnt come off when you clean the rim.

I bought a 08 DRZ 400sm without the stickers on the rims. Found out later that the guy that uncrated it forgot to put the stickers on. That might have happened to yours. It does suck because you do spend a lot on the bike and expect the best but sometimes its just a copy cat part, like the calipers. i would have liked the machined brembo mono block calipers, but we cant have everything.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I know the base comes with the cast wheels and the S and up models come with machined/forged wheels, I thought Brembo and Marchesini was in bed togather:D, My stickers have been on there for 2 years with tons of washes and have not come off yet.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Posted to Ducati.ms forums July 26, 2009
======================================================================

Hi, everyone - This is my first new thread on this forum. I have a story to tell, but will try to keep it brief though specific.

I purchased a new 848 at the end of May and love the bike. The issue is that I made the purchase being told specifically that the wheels were Marchesini's. Although after looking at the wheels with a more analytical eye, I noticed that there were no Marchesini stickers on either wheel at all. I thought it interesting and happened to be near my dealer a few days later so I stopped in to ask about it. I was reassured that the 848's all come with Marchesini wheels and that I need not worry about it. I felt somewhat better, but not completely. So I poked around at other dealers to see what was there, and the sales people were unsure as some had Marchesini stickers on the wheels and some didn't.

I gave a call over to Ducati USA for the official word and the woman I spoke with said she didn't have the specifics on hand and that she would call me back. A few days later the nice woman called back and said that they have a few 848's there and some have the Marchesini stickers and some don't. We both decided that they must be Marchesini's and the stickers were either not put on the wheels at the factory or perhaps they fell off. Hmmm...

I looked around online for weeks, looking at advertisements and literature about the superbike series and the 848 specifically, and found a few places where it mentioned that the 848's come with Marchesini wheels. Other places that listed the 848 specs didn't mention the brand of wheels at all. But ALL photos of the 2009 848 were pictured with Marchesini wheels, including in the official Ducati brochure, website and press photos.

I was still not totally happy with this seemingly unresolved question, so I decided to ask my trusted mechanic about it and after two conversations on the matter, we deemed that the brand of wheels that are on my 848 are by a Japanese company called Ennki. They have a specific sideways 'S' shaped logo stamped on the wheel. He said these are the same wheels that Suzuki and Honda use, but certainly not Marchesini's. We were all very surprised. They said that Ducati has been using Marchesini wheels on their machines for a very long time and it would be strange for them to simply stop doing so, especially on their superbike models.

The next day (July 17), I called Ducati USA again and spoke with another nice woman. I introduced myself and said I bought an 848 and have a question about the wheels. She immediately replied, "Oh, is this about the Enkki wheels?"

I was aghast. I said, "It's interesting that you bring that up. Why would would ask that?" She said that just that same morning they had received a notice from Ducati Holding s.p.a in Italy that, as of the first of the year 2009, they would be using Enkki wheels instead of Marchesini wheels. I was floored.

We spoke about how strange this seemed, as well as the fact that I was sold the bike under the specific impression that the wheels were Marchesini's. And then reassurred of that notion when I returned and inquired about it again. She told me to write an email to them at Ducati USA and they would make sure it gets to the right person at the headquarters in Italy.

Here's the big question to other 2009 848 and 1198 owners. What kind of wheels do you have? When did you purchase your machine? Were you notified of this change in wheel brands? Were you sold something you didn't receive?

I intend to get to the bottom of this and could use any help and information anyone can provide. Thanks for reading; I'm sure some others out there must have noticed this, too.

HI Z,

I too noticed this discrepancy too. At my dealer, there was a white 848 with no Marchesini sticker, and the red one had the correct Marchesini wheels. Odd, I then noticed that the base Streetfighter had Enkei wheels on it as well, hmmm. I bought the Red 848, and I made sure that it had the Italian wheels. It seems odd that when the S and R bikes have forged Marchesini wheels, it would only make sense that the whole bike line would have the same brand, especially after Ducati has made a big enough deal to include that detail in it's brochures.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well Im in the same boat and am not happy. I have the new Hayden EDT and was told they all came with the mar. I have looked at the wheels and can not find anything to say that they are. I will follow up with my dealer.:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Awe come on Ducati! What's next...an aluminum frame straddling an inline 4 engine? Okay, maybe that's going a little far.:p But isn't a brand new Ducati without Marchesini wheels slighty blasphemous?:D Glad I bought a left over 2008 model.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This spiked my interest as well. I checked my wheels on my Hayden edition 848 and it has enkei's. I was kind of sad. If anything comes of this please let us know.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
a sign of the times... gotta maintain the price point. Enkei make wheels for the major OEMs esp. Honda; first I've heard of them on a Duc. In all honesty, if you have cast wheels, you can get nicer Marchesini stickers off eBay than what "should" be on there. Now, if I got an "S" that should have had forged wheels I'd def. be upset

·
Registered
170 Posts
Talk to my dealer today and he said all the newer 848 and 1198 std come with enkie. I mentioned the price point, but he commented if it were a price point the monsters would come with enkie to. They come with marchesinis. I asked about weight and he was told they were a fraction lighter then last years std cast marchesinis.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well Im in the same boat and am not happy. I have the new Hayden EDT and was told they all came with the mar. I have looked at the wheels and can not find anything to say that they are. I will follow up with my dealer.:mad::mad::mad:
well. it's not what you asked, but if i had that bike it would get BST wheels anyway :D

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
This issue shows the dangers a company can incur when it does major component "co-branding", like with Marchesini wheels. Ducati obviously wanted to use the image of the Marchesini brand to enhance their own brand image.
I'm speculating here, but Ducati Purchasing, on the other hand, wants to buy their components at the lowest cost possible, so they get competitive quotes and place the business with the supplier who has the best deal. Maybe Purchasing forgot to notify the Marketing department about the change. In any event, I'm sure the Enkei wheels will look and function the same as the Marchesinis, so there is only the image issue to consider.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Talk to my dealer today and he said all the newer 848 and 1198 std come with enkie. I mentioned the price point, but he commented if it were a price point the monsters would come with enkie to. They come with marchesinis. I asked about weight and he was told they were a fraction lighter then last years std cast marchesinis.
New Monster 1100 comes with enkeis. The 1100s still has marchesinis. Your dealer is FOS.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts