Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
6621 - 6640 of 6664 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
From nothing to something within the span of about ten LONG, super hot days in the garage.

it’s mostly standard 848, but the only frame not in use was from an 1198, so it Has a 996 triple(the only one I had on hand)

I did it to see if I could because my other projects have stagnated, but learned a lot that I can transfer over to my streetfighter and air cooled superbike builds.

definitely have a new respect for people who routinely work on fully faired bikes, so many bolts!
I'm not usually crazy about too much carbon fiber, but the damper and those handlebars actually look pretty incredible. How do the bars feel, generally speaking? More or less vibration than your average clip ons?

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
837 Posts
I'm not usually crazy about too much carbon fiber, but the damper and those handlebars actually look pretty incredible. How do the bars feel, generally speaking? More or less vibration than your average clip ons?
I grew up fascinated by carbon fiber when they used it on basketball shoes, but now I work with it and use it because of its properties.

i was tallying it up, and I dropped over 20lbs on my streetfighter tail by making a one piece exoskeleton over a tiny aluminum subframe.

I actually haven’t ridden it yet, I need to get a front triple stand because my knockoff bursig stand(constands) failed on me, so I can’t turn it into a one person job until I find someone to send me a pit bull.

the carbon bars were like $20 on AliExpress so I bought two sets in case of a crash. From messing around with them and opting out of bar ends, I can assure you there will be more vibration, so I’ll probably pad the grips, but I’ll take any cheap weight loss on the like that I can get! I’ll try to update once I get it out for a shakedown ride, gonna swap in an ohlins and linear link while I’m working on finding a triple

also that damper is a replica, so it’s still up in the air, it was a cheap experiment to see if swapping to ohlins oil, improving the seals, and polishing the sliding surfaces could produce an acceptable damper.

I also heard a tip that if you add a dab of slick 50 to the oil, it’ll leave a thin coat of Teflon, but I think I used too much, it’s pretty thick. at its softest setting, the damper has similar resistance to the hardest setting with the mineral oil it came with.

im only into carbon fiber dampers after running this one for a while:

Tire Automotive tire Finger Bicycle part Engineering

I sold it with the bike and have been regretting it ever since, they’re impossible to find, apparently a piece from some monster challenge when the s4 came out.

gonna swap to ohlins soon, just gotta work on the finances 💸💸💸

6621 - 6640 of 6664 Posts