Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
6601 - 6620 of 6664 Posts

·
Registered
'99 996
50 Posts
My '99 996 track bike. An homage to Foggy...

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
837 Posts
From nothing to something within the span of about ten LONG, super hot days in the garage.

it’s mostly standard 848, but the only frame not in use was from an 1198, so it Has a 996 triple(the only one I had on hand)

I did it to see if I could because my other projects have stagnated, but learned a lot that I can transfer over to my streetfighter and air cooled superbike builds.

definitely have a new respect for people who routinely work on fully faired bikes, so many bolts!

so it’s:
1198 frame
08 848 engine (21k on engine, 4K on odo 😖)
Shortened termis
Aluminum subframe
999 front wheel with ti fully floating buttons
Sf848 rear wheel
848 evo swingarm
848 forks with ohlins valves and custom compression shim stack
Kaemna lightweight front axle
2 ti caliper bolts(all I had laying around, other two are steel)
Ti rotor bolts
Sf848 shock with 1198s ohlins spring and traxxion dynamics preload adjuster
1098 throttle bodies(all I had laying around)
848evo dash
Woodcraft ignition eliminator ($17, thanks ebay!)
Knockoff matris damper,serviced and spec’d up to perform almost as well as oem, but adjustable
Sf848 brake and clutch masters
Cheap Chinese carbon fiber bars
Integrated led tail light
Corsa windscreen(an absolute must)
Superlight fiberglass front fender
Cf shorty rear fender
520 chain sprockets (15/40 but will probably go up to 42 after some chain stretch)
Lightweight rear wave rotor
Titanium rear axle nuts
Titanium triple tree nuts
Headlight came with a hid conversion, which was nice
Neoprene race seat
Carbon fiber ignition block off
Reflective carbon fiber exhaust shield
Microtec ecu with two top notch maps

I think that’s it, probably more, just threw all the stuff I either got for free or wasn’t saving for my superprojects, at least one of which will eventually be in this thread :)

hope you guys are doing well :)

·
Registered
837 Posts
That's awesome man! Was it a hard install getting that engine into there?
Not op, but requires cutting the frame and bracing it differently. This is currently my debate on my next project: throw a 999 into a 996 frame, or unload the 996 frame, get a xx98 frame, and bolt everything in with the help of some exhaust tigging. Will probably just end up cutting out all of the bracing in the middle, weld in similar headstock bracing as the xx98, throw in stronger engine bolts, and convert the swingarm to 848 style.

so many options, just depends on your skill level or who you know, and since the ducati scene in my area frowns upon non purist work, I decided to do everything myself, so any questions, ask away :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's awesome man! Was it a hard install getting that engine into there?
Hi, there are different options. I wanted to keep the oem look (dashboard, electric loom with slight variatons, and ecu with a eprom remap). Depending what you want to do, you have to modify some things or others.

Not op, but requires cutting the frame and bracing it differently. This is currently my debate on my next project: throw a 999 into a 996 frame, or unload the 996 frame, get a xx98 frame, and bolt everything in with the help of some exhaust tigging. Will probably just end up cutting out all of the bracing in the middle, weld in similar headstock bracing as the xx98, throw in stronger engine bolts, and convert the swingarm to 848 style.

so many options, just depends on your skill level or who you know, and since the ducati scene in my area frowns upon non purist work, I decided to do everything myself, so any questions, ask away :)
Hi, I don't modify the frame. Only flip the throttle body arm and a custom made airbox and inyector support.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hi, there are different options. I wanted to keep the oem look (dashboard, electric loom with slight variatons, and ecu with a eprom remap). Depending what you want to do, you have to modify some things or others.

Hi, I don't modify the frame. Only flip the throttle body arm and a custom made airbox and inyector support.
Wow, thank you very much for that info! Looks like I’m gonna have to get this raggedy frame stripped and powder coated:

I think I’m gonna have to go with the 848 swingarm though, so hopefully @Fab has some custom shock links left 🤞

now it’s time to decide which project bike I’ll have to sell to finance all of these bits 😣

was hoping to use a full 999 airbox and throttle bodies, or 1098 throttle bodies/airbox if I can make a solid 3D printed adapter manifold.

will probably also bend an aluminum subframe from an xx98 custom made to fit a 999 tail because I am more into the sharp tail lines of the newer superbikes, and would preferably like to use an 848 tank due to their ability to hold up better in a low side, so there will be a lot of welding involved before even getting to addressing the exhaust. I think I’ll be adapting 848 headers and tucking a shortened, cored stock exhaust as far up into the tail as possible.

I tend to get way ahead of myself because I’m so captivated by the engine building process 😳

6601 - 6620 of 6664 Posts