Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, here's my dilemma. I plan on selling my hypermotard this fall/winter and want to buy a superbike for next season (hopefully before the season starts of course). I've looked at the 848 and the 1198. My problem is I don't race...VERY rare track days maybe 1 or 2 a year if I'm lucky BUT I'm the kinda of person who doesn't like to settle and I'm kind of a power junkie. I want to hear some stories from people who have had experience on both bikes I ride on the street a lot and I do like to ride through a lot of country roads. The 848 almost seems like I will get tired of it quickly but the 1198(S) is to much bike to waste on the road. So what's the real deal here?

Sorry if i'm beating a dead horse btw.

and cost doesn't matter as long as I get the best bike for the job. :confused:

·
Registered
701 Posts
what is your riding experience? and what kind of riding do you do?

I would not buy SBK for the streets. Been there done it...not worth it. if you are going to track it...get a SBK.

the hyper lacks highway speeds and a bit heavy...if you dont do too much highway, i would stay with the hyper...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been riding dirtbikes since I was 5 and I had a few other smaller bikes that I got used to the street with (KTM 625,F4I) and I'm only 20...which I know will send most into thinking I'm an idiot for considering an 1198 at all. While I don't get to many track days, I would like too, but my job sometimes doesn't allow it depending on work load. I'm not here to cry about that though, the point is if I had a SBK I'd more than likely be going to more track days than I have in the past. The power my hyper puts out is awesome in town but I got used to it pretty quick and I've decided after this past season that I want to avoid in town riding as much as I can. The hyper is cool but not the tool I need.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Keep the Hyper and buy a track bike, 848 or 749. That's what I've decided to do since neither bike will satisfy the need. Nice barn:D

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Unless your local tracks have ridiculously long straights, the 848 will be a better track bike. You might lust for power, but the 1198 simply has too much to be used by common folk. Before you get your panties in a bunch over that comment, let me add that I am also common folk, as are 95% of the people on this forum. If you can't tap into the added power of the 1198 that much on the track, you sure as HELL don't need it for the street!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unless your local tracks have ridiculously long straights, the 848 will be a better track bike. You might lust for power, but the 1198 simply has too much to be used by common folk. Before you get your panties in a bunch over that comment, let me add that I am also common folk, as are 95% of the people on this forum. If you can't tap into the added power of the 1198 that much on the track, you sure as HELL don't need it for the street!
makes sense, I'm open to criticism in this subject. kind of what I asked for haha thanks for the input!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Go for the 1198, it's not a matter of need, but soon enough it will be what you want or wish you had. You will like the extra power. Most of your riding on the street will be out with th R1's, GSX's, ZX's, get where i'm going. This way no regrets.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would say keep the Hyper for the street....but if you must have a Superbike get the 1198. Might as well get the biggest and baddest one going.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Go for the 1198, it's not a matter of need, but soon enough it will be what you want or wish you had. You will like the extra power. Most of your riding on the street will be out with th R1's, GSX's, ZX's, get where i'm going. This way no regrets.
good point but honestly everyone around here has 600's and they're all older jap models, I could get a 696 monster and still have the nicest bike in town (no offense to monster owners!) a problem with the hyper for my type of riding is severe lack of wind protection. I'm taking both bikes for a test ride back to back thursday thanks to a very understanding dealer!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 848 and a wr250x supermoto.

I'd say the 848 has plenty of power and will be the better bike for the track. So the real question is how much do you intent to track it. What will be most of your riding consume of? If I'm in the city I use the supermoto and its a cheaper bike, but can do plenty. It can go dirt also... If price is not an issue I'd get 2 bikes then you can have the best of both worlds. If you will always want more power then get the 1198. But in reality the 1198 is more bike than most of us can handle.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I've ridden both bikes in the the backroads of western CT, and I can say the 848 is better suited. However, you did say you were a power junkie ;)

·
Premium Member
8,756 Posts
Being a power junkie will eventually cause you to be part of the old saying, "its not if your going down its when" Indirectly and not purposely some people challenged your ego by saying the 1198 is too powerful for the street, that may be entirely the case but in this context you can't possibly use that power on the street, it is true in what they say. It just so happened I had a discussion about the power thing with a buddy of mine, a very good rider, very fast on the track and a former AFM racer. He picked up a low mile theft damaged 1198S. After getting it back to riding condition he quickly came to the rational decision the bike was just way overpowered for street use, in other words, impractical. He sold it. I concurr with what he experienced and know him well enough to understand exactly what he was saying. I told him I reached the limit of "useable" street power with my 03 999R. Its in the 144 crank HP range and that happens to be the sweet spot for the type of riding I do. We both agreed the 1198 would do well at the track and that the 848 would be a more suitable street bike.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Being a power junkie will eventually cause you to be part of the old saying, "its not if your going down its when" Indirectly and not purposely some people challenged your ego by saying the 1198 is too powerful for the street, that may be entirely the case but in this context you can't possibly use that power on the street, it is true in what they say. It just so happened I had a discussion about the power thing with a buddy of mine, a very good rider, very fast on the track and a former AFM racer. He picked up a low mile theft damaged 1198S. After getting it back to riding condition he quickly came to the rational decision the bike was just way overpowered for street use, in other words, impractical. He sold it. I concurr with what he experienced and know him well enough to understand exactly what he was saying. I told him I reached the limit of "useable" street power with my 03 999R. Its in the 144 crank HP range and that happens to be the sweet spot for the type of riding I do. We both agreed the 1198 would do well at the track and that the 848 would be a more suitable street bike.
unlike most 20 year olds my ego couldn't give 2 shits about being the most badass bike on the street...I like to have fun. What you're saying makes sense to me. I've been down before and have every intention of not doing it again haha thanks for your input, and believe me it's not falling on deaf ears:)

·
Registered
224 Posts
what is your riding experience? and what kind of riding do you do?

I would not buy SBK for the streets. Been there done it...not worth it. if you are going to track it...get a SBK.

the hyper lacks highway speeds and a bit heavy...if you dont do too much highway, i would stay with the hyper...
+1

·
Registered
230 Posts
After owning the 1098 for awhile (now a complete track bike). If I were to do a superbike for the street, I would pick the 848!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Get the 848

I use my bikes as commuters 99%, track bikes 1% of the time. I traded in my monster S2R 1K for the 848 last year. No regrets!

Rides less than 90 minutes are no problem comfort wise. Much better than the naked monster for highway wind protection and plenty of power.

My buddy wanted a SBK and I let him ride my 848 for several long test rides and he had nothing bad to say about it but he had to have the 1198! To each his own.:think:

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Most dealers around here have a few 848 models in the stable as demo ride bikes. I have not seen to many 1198. So you can at least ride an 848. I recently led some group rides for the Ducati "Big Red Truck" demo at Cliffs. Our demo ride was about 30 mins. There were some nice curvey roads to get a feel for the 848.

I went through similar choice (749s/r vs 999s). Do I really need the power of the 999s, no not really but it (less and R) it was the top model. So depends on what you want. You want the top, go 1198, otherwise sounds like an 848 will more then make you happy.

By the way I rode a hyper for some extended rides. Nice bike but I prefer the superbike. I also have a GT1000, which I am selling because I always pick the 999 to ride.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Most dealers around here have a few 848 models in the stable as demo ride bikes. I have not seen to many 1198. So you can at least ride an 848. I recently led some group rides for the Ducati "Big Red Truck" demo at Cliffs. Our demo ride was about 30 mins. There were some nice curvey roads to get a feel for the 848.

I went through similar choice (749s/r vs 999s). Do I really need the power of the 999s, no not really but it (less and R) it was the top model. So depends on what you want. You want the top, go 1198, otherwise sounds like an 848 will more then make you happy.

By the way I rode a hyper for some extended rides. Nice bike but I prefer the superbike. I also have a GT1000, which I am selling because I always pick the 999 to ride.
I hear ya, Chris at cliff's said something to me about the only 1198 on the floor being a "demo" as in I don't think they really want people out on it unless they're serious about it. I will be down there hopefully tomorrow (don't rain please) while I get the tire on my hyper changed I was going to take them out. I was there at the open house but unfortunately I'm only 20... and the duc truck rules state you must be 21 to demo ride...which I think is dumb, especially if I already own one. Anyways I didn't get the chance to ride the 848 from the truck even though I wanted to. The last time I rode an 848 it wasn't for very long since it was a friends bike and me and my friends have a mutual respect for the amount of patience it takes to let other people ride/drive our stuff. I considered the 749/999 route a while ago but while I may not care if i'm the fastest bike on the road I do like the latest technology and the weight (or the lack thereof) also the 749/999's aren't ugly but I like the new/916/996/998 look from ducati the best.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts