Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick note to ask a few questions... I am doing the front fork swap out and replace with 999 forks i found on ebay for my 620 Sport race bike. Looked for the SS forks and could not find any. Most places in Australia wanted over $1000 for a set, where i ended up picking up 999 forks for $350US posted to Aus and landed on my doorstep. Figured that is a saving of over $700 and not to hard to do... Most of the parts seem interchangeable. I have a 999 here as my other bike, so it was easy enough to take measurements off it.

I also looked at other alternatives, like the Traxxion and Cognet kits, but at $1500US landed at my house was a bit much for a cheap race bike class. The superbike forks are an easy choice.

What my problem is now is that i now need to purchase a 53mm triple clamp. from reading around the traps, Cycle Cat do one. I thought great, looked it up, what a super looking unit. Exactly what i want. The bottom shims i can get made up easy enough (heard that they can be supplied by coke or pepsi, or even your favorite beer brands!) Now here inlays my problem...

I went to the cycle cat store and they said only Oncycles sell them... ok, too easy. Off to oncycles.com and found them! sweet! Oh.. problem one. I cant purchase off the website because im Australian. Sent an e-mail and asked about payment. No dice. The got back to me and said..

$55US postage + $30US anti-fraud fee. (this is about $105AUS) No paypal and no credit card. Direct deposit only. This is going to cost me extra from Australia. Taking the total to about $130 just for the postage and fees. Ouch! The postage is going to cost me more then the item.

My question is... Is there another place i can buy them from ? An alternative supplier that will ship to Australia for less then the cost of the Liberian trade deficit. OR!! does someone out there have the 53mm top triple clamp they dont want or need and are looking to sell. I have searched the classified and found none. There is one for sale, but it says its for the standard SS forks. No good for me. OR!!, if someone is going to do an order with oncycles and needs a few extra items to put them over the free postage $$ amount and your happy to have me pay you via paypal and post me the item once you get it, let me know on that idea as well.

After i get this all done, i am going to do a full write up, parts list and how to. Everyone says "search" but as much searching i do, i cannot find a definitive list in "how to" order that helps me or potential others out.

So feel free to add your 2 cents worth :) and any help on that triple clamp would be great. It's my only sticking point so far.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Probably a silly suggestion but is it possible to take your existing top triple clamp to a machine shop and get them to rebore it to 53mm?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought of that, only problem is that i no longer have it. I removed it and sold it thinking i would just put a whole front end from a 999 on it. Well... the triple clamp offset on a 999 clamp is different to a SS. Didnt read that anywhere. Its not much, about 5mm to 10mm, but close enough to look right when i bought it, nowhere near close enough when i got it back to the workshop :)

I dont mind. If oncycles dont want my money, im happy with that. Im still scouring ebay for either a clamp to machine or for a 53mm cyclecat clamp to magically appear. I have done some looking and it looks like speedymoto make a clamp as well, al be it $400US + shipping.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Go back to the land of ebay, but another SS top triple and have it bored out to 53mm. The easiest and cheapest way to do it. I did it to mine and it works just fine.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Howdo!!

Im after replacing my Superlight forks with something a bit more up to date. Do the 999 forks use radial calipers? And what about spacing between the forks? And what about the front axle?? Oh loads more questions:confused:
Intrested in how you get on. Good luck.

Cheers Pablo

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
I performed the superbike fork upgrade to the CR and it was not that hard to do. You need all new front end components to do the swap. speedo drive, axle, wheel, fender, upperclamp clip ons/risers if you want to keep the same position as the stock steel ones.
I used the cyclecat upper clamp it is on closeout on the oncycle site for $100 bucks. they supplied the shims for the lower clamp. it all worked great!
I did not have to change the brakes as the forks I used were from my 916 (97 used the 46 mm spacing) I put on a 5 spoke Marchesini everything else bolted right up.
The only issue I ran into was that there was no clearance for the new clipons at full lock they banged against the instrument cluster. So I re positioned the cluster closer to the headlamp and angled the trailing edge down a little more which actually makes it aim back at the driver a little better. this gives plenty of clearance for any bar position I want.
I also ran into an issue with the stock coffin type brake and clutch masters. They sit too close to the bar on the clipons so that if you wanted to use a stock superbike clipon the clamp for the clip on gets in the way of the reservoir.
Using an aftermarket riser that had a longer clipon left room for the controls where there was none on the superbike ones.

I heard people complain that the springs are too stiff in the superbike forks when you put them on the SS. mine are just right I just backed off all of the preload and the sag is perfect.

If you want I will sell you my old top clamp. You can get it milled at a machine shop. Just let me know.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
We have a Cycle Cat std SS top triple (50mm) for $250--but it will have to be milled out to 53mm.

CYCLE CAT Top Triple: Supersport

*Register on the motowheels website for passwords to access discounts on non sale items. The sign-up is under the log-in box in the Products section.

-M

·
Registered
421 Posts
I performed the superbike fork upgrade to the CR and it was not that hard to do.
I am suprised at the number of people who have done this upgrade. What suprises me is the availablilty of undamaged front ends. Here in New Zealand we mainly write off our bikes (and consequently wreck the front ends) while travelling with one of the forward gears engaged. It must be different overseas.

·
Senior Italophile
867 Posts
Here in New Zealand we mainly write off our bikes (and consequently wreck the front ends) while travelling with one of the froward gears is engaged.
:confused: I am having trouble deciphering this. Is this written in whiskey speak?
</IMG>

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pablo, The 999 standard and the 749 standard showa forks dont have radial mount calipers. The bolt spacing for the calipers and brakes on my 620ie seems identical. disc spacing, size and diameter also measure up the same. The axles are the same length as well. On the newer model SS (2003 onwards) it would appear that the speedo sensor is located on the rear wheel via a proxy sensor on the brake bolts. So the front rim does not have a cable on my 620. My old 2000MY 750 SSie did however have that speedo cable on the front. Of course you will need a new front fender as well. Easy pick up on ebay. Luckily i have a spare!!! Almost got enough parts here to build a second 999. In saying all this, i ONLY have experience with newer model SS and 999's. I know nothing about old SS models and newer 1098/1198 models...

And i have to agree with wobbly on this one. Every front end i found in Aus. was trashed, bent, road rashed to hell and leaking. I guess thats why they are $1100 when you find a straight pair. From the US i could pick up the better superbike forks delivered for about 1/3 the cost of the SS forks here. Either noone crashes their SS here in Aus. Or they right off front ends all the time.

And Moto... Yikes, $250 for one i would have to bore out! I think ill keep an eye on ebay, or just suck up the $100 postage from oncycles before i paid $250 + postage for that one. Thanks anyway :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a quick update... Today i got an unlikely idea from another source... I was ringing around machine shops to get a quote on machinging the top triples out. Most were quoting the standard "we dont want your small piss ant job" price of $300 for both sides. One of them said out of the blue... have you rung an engine reconditioner. I said "no" because i had not been thinking outside the box. Called the local engine reco guy, took it down to him and he said, yes, too easy, can do, leave it with him. next week pick up and $80 all up, machined and linished.

I guess a little more thinking outside the box would help! :) It's a shame though really. I would love a 999 top clamp to fit. I think i might have an idea on how to get it done. Might have to machine up an eccentric bush for the top stem nut to go through. The one in the SS triple is about 20mm in dia. The 999 ones is about 30mm.... got me thinking... just need a cheap top clamp now to play with....

Will report back soon! :)

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Keep in mind the rotor offset of the xx9 series bikes. The SS is 10mm offset and the xx9 is 15 IIRC. All radial braked calipers is 15mm ofset, so that includes the 8/10/1198 series bikes, however the 65mm caliper xx9 series also runs the 5 hole rotors, which carry the 15mm offset.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I thought of that, only problem is that i no longer have it. I removed it and sold it thinking i would just put a whole front end from a 999 on it. Well... the triple clamp offset on a 999 clamp is different to a SS. Didnt read that anywhere. Its not much, about 5mm to 10mm, but close enough to look right when i bought it, nowhere near close enough when i got it back to the workshop :)

I dont mind. If oncycles dont want my money, im happy with that. Im still scouring ebay for either a clamp to machine or for a 53mm cyclecat clamp to magically appear. I have done some looking and it looks like speedymoto make a clamp as well, al be it $400US + shipping.
I have a 50mm top triple from a Supersport I will sell you and have a Paypal account. It is in good shape. Interested?

·
Registered
231 Posts
We'll If your going route of doing it w/o a cyclecat kit and need shim for the lower triple, I bought a roll/sheet of .50mm/.020inch for When I did mine, I could cut off some and mail it to for like a few bucks or whatever postage costs so you don't need fish or buy a whole roll.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Keep in mind the rotor offset of the xx9 series bikes. The SS is 10mm offset and the xx9 is 15 IIRC. All radial braked calipers is 15mm ofset, so that includes the 8/10/1198 series bikes, however the 65mm caliper xx9 series also runs the 5 hole rotors, which carry the 15mm offset.
Yes... Just noted that.. I went out and measured it... The distance between my discs on the 620 was something like 125mm and on the 999 it was 135. I guess i will either need to make up some spacers for the caliper or a spacer for behind the disc. wont have to be real thick. 5mm at most. Any ideas on what would be the better option, spacer on caliper or spacer on disc ? These are the standard 999 forks, not radial mounted calipers. I cant get my 999 discs off without a lot of hassle. They just looked the same offset when i ordered my current discs. Poo that!

And Voxx... that would be awesome... Would save me for looking if you have the right stuff already... you know how much i would need. Will send you a PM about getting it organized..

Getting there... all be it slowly :)

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
pegaxs,

I would stay away from the idea of spacers. First, you would not be able to space the caliper as it would be in the wrong direction. TBS, the spacing of the rotors can be dangerous, as the bolts would not be able to torque to spec like they would if against the wheel. Yes you can get it to the torque spec, but what will happen is the load will vary outward, putting extra torsional stress onto the bolts, snapping them eventually. Not a good thing, AFAIK.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Advice noted. I dont think i would go the route of spacing discs out. The inner parts of the disc are pretty much a machined fit for the rim. Spacing them out would only upset the apple cart. I would not be too worried about the torsional stress moving them out 5mm or less, it would be more of an alignment issue. I am sure that the bolts would be ok, if not, i would replace them with stainless/titanium/hardened bolts. The ones in it at the moment are only mild steel according to the markings. And to add to tht, machining up a ring and getting the holes drilled so it aligns perfect isnt worth the hassle.

As for spacing the caliper being the wrong direction ??? the mounts on the 999 forks are 10mm wider apart then on the original Marsuucki forks. I think the best option is to make a flat spacer for behind the calipers similar to the 40 to 60mm adaptors to move the calipers that 5mm closer each side. Just is doesnt need to be stepped out, just moved in. I have new titanium mounting bolts for that job as well.

It's all an experience... once i have done it all, i will do a full write up, as there is no definitive write up for this common swap.

If i am wrong, i will also let you know :)

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
As for spacing the caliper being the wrong direction ??? the mounts on the 999 forks are 10mm wider apart then on the original Marsuucki forks. I think the best option is to make a flat spacer for behind the calipers similar to the 40 to 60mm adaptors to move the calipers that 5mm closer each side. Just is doesnt need to be stepped out, just moved in. I have new titanium mounting bolts for that job as well.

If i am wrong, i will also let you know :)
Yep, your right. Brain fart on my side. Was thinking "cixelsyd".

·
Registered
180 Posts
998R and 748R run a 15mm offset so that will solve your issues

had the same issue with fitting some carbon BST ST2 wheels to 749R forks
cheers

1 - 20 of 33 Posts