Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a new bike in the future (no time table).

I own a Hyper at the moment. And really like the up-right seating position...I grew up on dirt bikes/ATVs. Looking at the naked/street-fighter market, nothing really speaks to me.

I realize the Panigale streetfighter will be arriving next year, but I'm thinking that will be over 20k. So I've been doing some research on guys that have put up-right handlebars on their supersport bikes...CBRs, GSXRs, etc. A lot of positive feedback is what I've been seeing. I know there are companies like Helibars and similar but I'd be looking to complete ditch the clip-ons.

I don't do track days and have never owned a supersport bike before. Just sitting on them makes me uncomfortable but it MAY be different when I start moving. And if I decided to get one, I could always ride it for a bit and purchase a handlebar conversion kit if I didn't like the clip-ons.

How do you think a superbike like a Panigale or R1 would handle with up-right handlebars? What concerns would you have? I know both of those bikes are notorious for having aggressive leaning over the thank ergos. But I figure it would look similar to the Aprilia Tuono but wondering if the handling would be similar as well.

Once again...this is something I am just thinking about and wanted to get some opinions on the handling. I realize it might look a bit funky and most of you would never dream of doing this to their bike but I just want to lay out all of my options before I get serious. No flaming, just want real opinions/concerns, Thanks

Here's a panigale I found from Ducati Detriot with a conversion kit installed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I guess I’m sort of at a loss as to how they would put taller handlebars on a full-fairing Sportbike and still clear the front cowling. How is this possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
I guess I’m sort of at a loss as to how they would put taller handlebars on a full-fairing Sportbike and still clear the front cowling. How is this possible?

Plus, one of the main things that makes a Sportbike is the forward weight bias, as you lean on the front clip on’s and put the weight on the front tire. If you alter that weight bias with taller handlebars, you throw off the bikes natural designed-in handling characteristics, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I did the full LSL handlebar conversion on a 2006 GSXR 1000R and suffered no ill effects in terms of handling other than being much more comfortable. It did involve trimming the fairing some, new brake and clutch lines, etc.

I can hustle a bike along OK, but I'm no racer type.

While I suffered no ill effects in terms of handling, I'm sure a racer type, who really knows what they are doing and not just hacking it by sheer force of will like me :), would be horrified by the effects.

Life is short and if it's something you want to try, go for it.

However, I wouldn't do it again. I've since mostly committed myself to buying bikes for what they were designed for, and not trying to modify them into something else.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Yea .... I see it too. Looks like the bars will hit the fairing with only the slightest deflection. Only choice would be to remove the entire fairing or ~chop~ the top of the fairing off .... butt ugly in the end. It would look like the bike in Image#1. Who knows, maybe that appeals to the OP?

Plus, one of the main things that makes a Sportbike is the forward weight bias, as you lean on the front clip on’s and put the weight on the front tire. If you alter that weight bias with taller handlebars, you throw off the bikes natural designed-in handling characteristics, in my opinion.
Must agree once again. Unless cornering capability is a second priority to acceleration, converting it to one piece handlebars will castrate the bike. I suppose if that's ok with the OP then by all means more power to him!

On the other hand, I reckon that even changing the weight bias that bike would still be a thrill to ride ... with one piece bars and an upright riding position it would still rip the balls off of pretty much anything on the road ... mostly so at least.

Life is short and if it's something you want to try, go for it.
Major thumbs up!

Most likely require lengthening pretty much everything ... throttle cables, hydraulic lines, electronic and electrical wiring, and so on ...

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate all the feedback so far.

A little info on the owner of that Panigale, he actually wanted those bars for track days. Company called Motacc makes the handle bar conversation kit for the Panigale.

The bike I’m really considering doing this to is the Yamaha R1. I figured the Panigale would be a good reference due to the aggressive riding egros similar to the R1..probably more so.

After some research I found out the R1 and MT10 super naked share the exact same frame, subframe, forks, rear shock, and swingarm. Also the same degree of rake/trail. Only difference is the MT10 has a 0.8” shorter wheel base due to the swing-arm being anchored closer to the frame.

Cutting the front fairing/screen a few inches would most likely need to happen for clearance. My thinking is it would look similar to an Aprilia Tuono if I wanted to cut that much.

As far as all the lines, everything is including in a kit...bars, top triple clamp w/ignition mount, brake/clutch cables. The wiring is the unknown but I assume it’s possible if they make a kit?

Either way..at this point I’m just brainstorming. Laying out all options. I’m not a rider that pushes their bike to the max on the street..not even close. Just thinking I could make a Superbike handle as well as the other super nakeds today. And I agree with Rex coil...think it would be a thrill in the end.

But I love hearing the opinions of those who know more than me to make the best decision for myself.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Higher and wider bars on a pure sports bike used on the road, even at “spirited” speeds will NOT take anything from the handling. If you get a chance to ride a streetfighter or one of those butt ugly multistraders you will see just how good high wide bars are. If you can live with the look then go for it. Personally, I can’t stand the look of high wide bars but they are comfy.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
A little info on the owner of that Panigale, he actually wanted those bars for track days.
:eek: I would only do this mod for the street - not the track. Especially on a dedicated track weapon like the Panigale.

But, to each their own. And if the guy really knows how to ride, he'll silence the snickering pretty quick when he passes everyone else.

Kind of like those videos of really talented riders on sleeper and/or odd bikes like scooters, Goldwings, etc passing others on dedicated track weapons.

What's the saying ... It's 80% rider and 20% machine. I know I've been left in the dust by riders on "lesser" machines. :eek:

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
A guy I ride with has the same set up on his Panigale, also done by Ducati Detroit. Either you cut the fairing or you move the bars back, he had them cut the fairing. Unless you're very familiar with the bike you'd never know the fairing had been cut.

He uses the bike for the occasional track day but has a Tuono dedicated for track duty that normally gets used.

I thought about doing the same mod to a 959 Corse, but after riding my 1200S Monster down around the Deals Gap area for a week and then hopping on my RSV-R track bike the next day it struck me how utterly assinine Superbike ergos are for the average rider, and I lost interest in spending the cash. My Aprilia will be for sale soon and my Monster will handle the 3-4 trackdays I do each year. Or maybe my 851 if I get a wild hair some weekend.

If you aren't in love with some particular Superbike then I wouldn't bother with the mods. Buy a Tuono or whatever and be done with it from the factory.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a new bike in the future (no time table).

I own a Hyper at the moment. And really like the up-right seating position...

How do you think a superbike like a Panigale or R1 would handle with up-right handlebars? What concerns would you have?....

Once again...this is something I am just thinking about and wanted to get some opinions on the handling. I realize it might look a bit funky and most of you would never dream of doing this to their bike but I just want to lay out all of my options before I get serious. No flaming, just want real opinions/concerns, Thanks

Here's a panigale I found from Ducati Detriot with a conversion kit installed.

Well, if you DO end up putting one piece handlebars on a sport bike (with the more upright riding position) you'll be in really excellent company! See images.

NOTE: I may have to go with the same setup ... I have a permanent nerve injury in my neck (brachial plexus) ... once I get by 1996 900SS/CR on the road I'll know after the first 100 miles if the "monkey humping a football" riding position is something that will work with my neck. If not, I have some BIG decisions to make ... like maybe even trading the SS off for a Monster.

Anyhow, Member *soko you'll be in excellent company if you go with your ideas..... (pics)

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A guy I ride with has the same set up on his Panigale, also done by Ducati Detroit. Either you cut the fairing or you move the bars back, he had them cut the fairing. Unless you're very familiar with the bike you'd never know the fairing had been cut.

He uses the bike for the occasional track day but has a Tuono dedicated for track duty that normally gets used.

I thought about doing the same mod to a 959 Corse, but after riding my 1200S Monster down around the Deals Gap area for a week and then hopping on my RSV-R track bike the next day it struck me how utterly assinine Superbike ergos are for the average rider, and I lost interest in spending the cash. My Aprilia will be for sale soon and my Monster will handle the 3-4 trackdays I do each year. Or maybe my 851 if I get a wild hair some weekend.

If you aren't in love with some particular Superbike then I wouldn't bother with the mods. Buy a Tuono or whatever and be done with it from the factory.
Thanks for sharing...Any pictures of his panigale with the fairing cut? I'd love to see how they did it. I'd imagine you would just use a dremel to cut what was in the way.

Well, if you DO end up putting one piece handlebars on a sport bike (with the more upright riding position) you'll be in really excellent company! See images.

NOTE: I may have to go with the same setup ... I have a permanent nerve injury in my neck (brachial plexus) ... once I get by 1996 900SS/CR on the road I'll know after the first 100 miles if the "monkey humping a football" riding position is something that will work with my neck. If not, I have some BIG decisions to make ... like maybe even trading the SS off for a Monster.

Anyhow, Member *soko you'll be in excellent company if you go with your ideas..... (pics)
"Monkey humping a football" :laugh: haha I almost spit out my coffee when I read that. Those pictures certainly give me confidence in knowing If I decide to switch the bars, I won't be creating a 2 wheeled death trap for myself in the corners.

Thank you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts