Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read through quite a few threads about the impotence of their rear brakes on their Superbikes. I too thought this when I first got mine. The opposite is true. Superbikes have extremely powerful rear brakes, with extremely poor action and feedback in stock trim.

The problem lies in the return spring for the lever. The spring is overly stiff to give the brake more resistance to our hamfisted inputs to the pedal. Consequently, the super-stiff return spring also takes away any feel/feedback from the rear brake. Iin a worst case scenario, when Joe Superbike stomps on the pedal and gets nothing, and he continues to mash the pedal, he will eventually be rewarded with a locked rear wheel and the resulting crash.

If you remove the return spring from the pedal (MY DICLAIMER IS I AM NOT ADVOCATING THIS ACTION), you will find that the pedal actually has very good feel to it much like the front brake lever. The rear brake will also be very powerful, and can lock easily if you are not careful or used to it's operation. The nice thing about the 749/999 is the pedal has the adjustable toe, so you can tune away some of the leverage by setting the toe piece to it's farthest forward setting.

With that, I do use my rear brake as stated above with very good results. It did take alot of getting used to and training of my right foot. The vast majority (95%+) of my braking comes from the front, but the rear does come in handy on the street in quick stop situations and on the track to settle the rear-end in corners.

Hope this help out with some of your rear brake woes :)

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I test road a 748 at DRA back in 2001 and actually thought there was something wrong with the rear brake. I could press the pedal all the way down to the stop and got very little slowing out of the rear at all. I even had the techs take a look at it and they couldn't find anything wrong. After some discussions with SBK owners, I came to the conclusion that, no, that's just the way they are.

Fast forward 4 years and I bought a used 748. The rear rotor has been lightened, steel braided brake lines added, and I believe Galfer pads installed. I've never had any trouble with this bike's rear brake. It has good feel and decent stopping power (read: can lock up the rear if I try to). It doesn't even squeal. :)

That's all older superbikes, though. I've never ridden a 749/999.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts