Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing on eBay and I saw an S2R's swing-arm for sale which immediately spawned the idea of putting one on my monster. The two things that held me back are the last bit of sanity that I still possess and the hefty price tag on the swing-arm.

Next I saw the swing-arm off a 916 for a fraction of the price. What if I could fit that one on a Monster. So the question is: has anyone on the forum ever done this? Does anyone have concrete information on how to do it? What would need to change, what could stay? Would I need a new shock/rod/link?

I'm not talking about swapping engines or frames, I'm interested in swapping a monster double sided swing arm for a 748/916/996 single sided one. Or if that is not possible, for an S2R/S4R one.

I've seen the kit from Motowheels, but the price is too high for my taste. I'd rather spend the money on engine mods and other toys for both bikes.

Thanks to anyone who can provide me with info.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Its been discussed a lot on other forums, I have rarely seen it done though. Step #1 is machining down the engine cases where the swingarm mounts. You have to take about 3/4" off of them to make it fit. Step#2 is bracing the swingarm pivot off the frame by welding sections of tubing on. Apparently the swingarm pivot shaft will bend if you do not do this. Step #3 is getting a SBK shock, linkage rod, and rocker. The SBK rocker is wider than the monster rocker so the mounting points on the frame have to be cut off and relocated. I am not sure if they can just be spread apart or if a new crossmember has to be fitted somewhere else. Step #4 is building a new headpipe for the vertical cylinder, as your swingarm is now in the way. I would imagine a whole new exhaust would have to be built as the x pipe is probably in the way as well. Step #5, apparently new footpeg brackets or rearsets have to be fitted as well, though I am not entirely sure about this, but if you are doing all the work, you probably want the "kite frames" gone anyways.

On the s2r swingarms, on newer monsters (03+) it is a direct bolt on. It fits the cases with no machining and the shock and link bolt up. If you have an older monster it still fits the cases but a new upper rocker and all must be welded on. It may be easier to buy a newer style frame on ebay, they sometimes go for $200 or so, sell your frame and then bolt on the swingarm if you have an older bike and don't feel like welding your shock mount on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the answer, very very informative!

I have an *old* monster frame with dual links on the swing arm as opposed to the more recent ones with a single link that connects next to the shock. This means either getting a new frame or soldering to put in a new shock bracket.

After searching on eBay, new frame + swing arm + shock, bracket & link ~ $900 and I would still need a new exhaust parts and a rear wheel, not to mention rear sets etc. Final cost around $1500 (??).

I've compared S2R/S4R swing-arms with ones for 748/916 and there is a different path for the headers. Your #4 is 100% on, maybe I could drop in a new engine with its headers ;)

Anyway, I've decided not to drop a ton of cash on this project all at once but to rather get the parts as they come around on the cheap, I'll go for a monster single sided swing-arm since it's the most compatible one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That monster SSS if definitely an easier solution, but I am going to fit a SBK swingarm on my bike. I will do a writeup once I get all of the parts scrounged up, I still need at least a rear shock to really get working on it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey a curiosity regarding the shocks, are they interchangeable between bikes? EG. will a shock from a 748 fit a monster and vice-versa?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts