Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I can appreciate the amount of effort that went in to this bike, but honestly, machining every screw he replaced????

Seems kind of contradictory that he didn't go the extra step to pull the motor and give it and the frame a proper paint job.
Same thoughts crossed my mind. Frame, wheels, swingarm... I was sort of waiting for those when scrolling thru the pages :)

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was kinda hoping he got the swingarm pivot out and serviced at least??:D

Has a bizarre way of working? Very through, almost obsessive... I think a complete stripdown & refurb may have been the last straw! ;)

Top job tho! Can't argue he has done amazing work?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Yeah... He's obsessing over the wrong bits - he should be in there doing the valves, maybe rebuilding the motor completely. Judging by the lack of care I would be worried about the state of the engine above all else. It's going to be purty when he is done, but I usually focus on the moving bits loooong before I worry about how things look.

And he went through all the trouble of remaking and remachining the original rectifier when he should have ditched it for a mosfet! WHY!?

Edit - I was right. His regulator failed as soon as he got it back on the road. Tsk tsk.

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
And he went through all the trouble of remaking and remachining the original rectifier when he should have ditched it for a mosfet! WHY!?
Just a hunch but probably because like a lot of people he sticks to his comfort zone and does not stray too far outside of it. It would appear that as a profession he does furniture refurbishing so he stuck to the portions of the bike where he could leverage his skills with those machine tools and finishing processes he is familiar with.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im thinking he is not conversant with Ducati's, the blog being posted on a Yamaha forum? Agreed the engine should have come out for an easy paint, shim check, frame paint etc...

The Doocat is a strange beast, to somebody not used to their ways it is easy to overlook/ignore stuff we as Ducatisti would be pointing at straight off? He didnt do bad! :)

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
Im thinking he is not conversant with Ducati's, the blog being posted on a Yamaha forum? Agreed the engine should have come out for an easy paint, shim check, frame paint etc...

The Doocat is a strange beast, to somebody not used to their ways it is easy to overlook/ignore stuff we as Ducatisti would be pointing at straight off? He didnt do bad! :)
Good point, and probably a contributor, however skill sets play a large part in how comfortable we are tackling a certain set of tasks. I personally was not conversant with Ducati's until last year when I got my 748. However I am a mechanical engineer, was always mechanically inclined, and grew up around dirt bikes which were constantly in need of attention.

And you are right, as far as appearance is concerned, he did a fantastic cosmetic job on that thing. I was especially impressed with the repair to the CF fender, and the work he did on the engine covers, one of which was in worse shape than anything I have ever seen off of a motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
And I thought the inspections were bad here - failed because of no dual markings on the speedo? Potential fail because the passenger pegs weren't present? WTF

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
And I thought the inspections were bad here - failed because of no dual markings on the speedo? Potential fail because the passenger pegs weren't present? WTF
Yeah... he also had to replace the CF cans with Aluminum ones. I am assuming that was done to pass inspection but did he mention why specifically?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I reading about other people's builds. I don't have the patience to do anything like that, plus I would be constantly worried about something happening to the bike once I was done. Nevertheless, it is amazing what some people can do.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Amazing attention to detail seems a bit of a stretch to me.

Painting the engine in the frame? No maintenance work to speak of.

Quick refurb maybe, but certainly no rebuild by any means. I had my bike stripped down to bare frame when I rebuilt it. Aside from machining the bolts, it looks like a rush job with some minor touching up just to get it back on the road.

Maybe I didn't notice, but did he do anything about the massive corrosion on the bottom of the tank? He was so careful to clean all the gunk out of the fuel pump assembly, but nothing to prevent this in the future?

All in all, nice bike though.

·
9,757 Posts
^Nah he just cleaned the tank out....

Like you said, apart from machining the bolts (totally unnecessary), he did a quick refurb/cleanup.

Rebuild implies making something old like new within logical parameters. Barely any new parts, barely any maintenance, and not even pulling the motor doesn't qualify as a rebuild.

He got kinda sloppy in the end too IMO. That gauge looks like shit. He coulda just had a new gauge face printed and cut at any decent decal shop...

The brake lever pivot was a pretty neat fix for a rush job though.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
...The brake lever pivot was a pretty neat fix for a rush job though.
Yep... he definitely showed moments of brilliance. I thought the CF repair was handled very well, although I would have taken down the clear coat first on the entire piece and done a new one subsequent to the repair.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Truth be told, it is on a Japanese bike forum... So odds are he has no inkling of the potential problems that old underused Ducs tend to have. You could pick up a 20-30 year old Hondayamazuki, give it a quick going over, and it will run quite happily for years.

Hell, I bought a complete ratbike VF750 that I never even WASHED for a whole season. I did nothing to that bike (aside from plugs, oil, filters, and a quick carb sync) and it started and ran every time, despite looking like a heap. Even the battery was clapped out but I kept using it - it had no electrolyte left when I got it! I filled it with water, charged it once and a while, and it worked well enough to not leave me stranded. And supposedly the VFs are one of the worst Hondas of all time for reliability/longevity.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Thanks for posting

Thanks 470four, I read the whole thing, very interesting read. As some others have pointed out, being a bit more initiated some of us might have tackled some other tasks first, but you can't argue with his dedication refreshing tired hardware and often overlooked, seals. I think the hooks in him by now, has anyone invited him over here to MS? I think he may be ready to expand his horizons beyond the Yamaha forums at this point.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts