Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I was hoping some of you may be able to help me come up with some good ideas on how to mount a GPS to my 999.

I was browsing the Garmin website and came across the new Zumo 660. As many of you know Garmin make exceptional GPS devices and the Zumo line has taken it to an entirely new level. I was really hoping to get a widescreen display in a thin manageable package. That is exactly what I have found in the new Zumo 660. The only problem I face is finding a place to mount the device.

What I would like to do is keep the clean-cut organized layout of the dash as it is. I love how on the 999 the instrument cluster is staked. Organizing the instruments this way gives me a feeling of symmetry which I like. I look down and can focus on everything at once.

So I was trying to figure out where the best place would be to mount a GPS which is small, portable, thin, and will not need to be connected to a power source. (I do not intend on leaving the navigation on the bike all the time so there is no need to wire it for power.) This is where I thought many of you could help me. Where would you put it, and how would you securely connect it to the bike?

My favorite idea so far has been to mount it directly on the triple clamp between the forks. I would love to be able to just look down and see the screen in front of me. Also if it is somehow flush with the triple clamp it would not obstruct the speedo. (Being this low also means at night there is no light from the screen facing directly at me.) I just could not figure out how to place it there. Keep it secure under heavy acceleration and braking, and be easily removable. I thought initially about trying to use some kind of Velcro but i'm unsure how a material like that would age and deal with weather.

I've included a picture of the Garmin Zumo 660 and the dash from a 999.

Thanks everyone!

Ciao

Attachments

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
You could try
http://www.desmotimes.com/product89.htm
It replaces your steering stem nut with a new one with a threaded hole in the center. You could either put the ball on there and put the garmin in it's normal holder using the regular ram system. Or, you could try finding a way to screw your mount to the hole itself to the gps is nice and flat on it's back on the upper tripple, however I'm not sure if somebody sells something like that so you might have to try some things yourself.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
i like TECHMOUNT's best. clamps onto the top of the fork tube, and comes in either silver or black (silver blends in with the triple as shown in the pic). depending on the device, you can either mount it to the top plate (if it has a quick release mechanism) or place velcro on it and the device for easy removal. costs about $75, they're quite popular, and looks like this:

http://www.techmounts.com/products/index.php?page_function=detail&product_id=92

1 - 3 of 3 Posts