Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys... my crazy buddy is getting the parts together for a supermono project. has anyone here done this? I will be offering my limited help on this project and was hoping to post some stuff here as he gets going. The doner bike will be here i about a month....So. well see!:alien:

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
The doner ...will be here in about a month.
Man - is this going to be the fastest, trickest and lightest kebab in the world:D

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Supermono project starting on Maui

I used my 1995 900SS CR for my Supermono project. All the parts I used are listed on the Ultimate Motorcycling Magazine web site at this adress:

Ducati 900SS CR Supermono | Custom | Motorcycle News

There are also photos there as well and within this Ducati forum.

Tell your friend good luck with the project!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
very nice...but...

how did you do the engine?... it looks like a twin? that is not a Supermono
We are talking a single here... we don't care about pretty bling etc... Dave is a master builder and he makes a lot of bitza stuff... he is going to build a 500 cc Ducati single.
If anyone knows of a project like this please write to me it will be very very interesting build

·
Registered
351 Posts
We are talking a single here... we don't care about pretty bling etc... Dave is a master builder and he makes a lot of bitza stuff... he is going to build a 500 cc Ducati single.
If anyone knows of a project like this please write to me it will be very very interesting build
Stop hatin corygt. Big ups to your mate who is making a mono supermono but I have total wood for samcombs supermono look-alike.

All the mods to my bike have been purely practical and not about bling, but I have seriously considered going the supermono replica route purely because they are so damned sexy.

Maybe after all my performance mods are finished I will consider going the same way myself, with my ie.

Looking forward to seeing if your mate gets his supermono project running well.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
I might be really mistaken here but as far as I know/understand the mono bit refers to how many people can sit on the bike, not the number of cylinders = two in this SS forum and all but the Desmosedici.

If you duck (no pun intended) over to the superbike forum you will see there are monoposto and biposto posts. Mono refers to bikes with a seat for only one person and biposto refers to bikes with a seat that can carry two people.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Probably not the best reference, Richard, but certainly the quickest at hand:

Ducati Supermono - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll withhold my typical complaint about Terblanche and his '99+ SSie design philosophy-- he can be forgiven much after coming up with the Supermono design.

Bryan

PS-- oh, and please refrain from imagining for one minute that I DON'T think my yeller '99 SSie w/ half-fairing is the prettiest bike in town... 'cause it is, and I lover 'er:D!!

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Pretty sure the Mono means "one" as in one cylinder/QUOTE]

NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I am not normally this blunt, but monoposto and biposto simply refers to how many bums the bike can seat.

Posto means seat with respect to Italian bikes, whatever the make/brand.

Mono = one and Bi = two Seats in this thread, nothing whatsoever to do with number of cylinders.

Richard

My personal posting rules ...
If I really know the answer I will post.
I might post potential solution or whatever if there have been no responses.
If there have been have been some plausible guesses I might add some plausible guesses as well.
If I have no effing idea I won't post.

·
Registered
279 Posts

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
Pretty sure the Mono means "one" as in one cylinder
NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I am not normally this blunt, but monoposto and biposto simply refers to how many bums the bike can seat.

Posto means seat with respect to Italian bikes, whatever the make/brand.

Mono = one and Bi = two Seats in this thread, nothing whatsoever to do with number of cylinders.

Richard

If there have been have been some plausible guesses I might add some plausible guesses as well.
Try this:
Ducati SuperBike = twin (2 cylinders)
Ducati SuperMono = single (1 cylinder)

The OP was talking of creating a single cylinder bike. The SuperMono is uber cool! You should follow the link above and read up on it. :) Sounds like the project should be fantastic!

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
interesting. I didn't think there were any Ducati owners/fans (longish time ones anyway) that didn't know a Supermono is a single cylinder. Not busting anyone's balls, just find it interesting.

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
this

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
goes in this

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
and works because of this

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Punch...

Sorry, Richard, to add fuel to the fire. You are correct about mono-posto and bi-posto, but not about Supermono. Read the Wikipedia article.
Joe

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
But you can keep trying to convince us if you like :D

·
Registered
979 Posts
Sorry, Richard, to add fuel to the fire. You are correct about mono-posto and bi-posto, but not about Supermono. Read the Wikipedia article.
Joe
seriously... it is the ONLY bike called a supermono and it is a single. monoPOSTO means 1 seat.

·
Registered
118 Posts
One of the fellows on Ducati.net built a supermono using an 848 engine.I believe the name is Richard Felkins.I followed the build with a lot of interest.Anyways it worked very well and he has some videos when he tracked it,plus alot of photos during the build.Try googling supermono build.

Regards Bill

1999 Ducati 900SSie
1988 Honda NT650GT

1 - 20 of 51 Posts