Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i'm sorry because i know there are probably already some posts on this subject, but i dont now how to search older posts (help?)...I have a 748 and, in the interest of shaving off a few pounds, I'm thinking about getting one of those little superbike batteries from motowheels.com. Does anyone have any experience with those? Do they work? I mean, there must be some kind of catch...

If you haven't seen the battery i'm talking about, they're on motowheels.com under "Batteries and Batteries accessories", called 'speedcell SBK battery'.

Thanks for the input.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
They were the hot topic of discussion on the SPEEDZILLA forum quite awhile before it was discussed here. I enquired about it and the owner of the company replied. The battery is very impressive to say the least. They do offer one for the Superbike applications. He said however you'll have to fabricate the batt hold down box a bit before installation. I'm waiting for the price to drop for now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have one on my 999 track bike. It has never failed to crank hard and I love the fact that I don't need a battery tender anymore. I "fabricated" a mounting system by taking a large car wash sponge and cutting it to fit the old battery box, then cut out the shape of the new battery to rest inside it. Simple, cheap, and very light weight.

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Look at the top of every page, there's a gray bar going horizontally across. Third menu from the right says "search"

Click on that.

Ok, i'm sorry because i know there are probably already some posts on this subject, but i dont now how to search older posts (help?)...I have a 748 and, in the interest of shaving off a few pounds, I'm thinking about getting one of those little superbike batteries from motowheels.com. Does anyone have any experience with those? Do they work? I mean, there must be some kind of catch...

If you haven't seen the battery i'm talking about, they're on motowheels.com under "Batteries and Batteries accessories", called 'speedcell SBK battery'.

Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I contacted the company a while back asking about reliability because I wanted to use it on a bike that will see track time and street time. I did not want to have to switch it out with another batter. This was their response:

"The Superbike battery is suitable for a daily driver. There is no reason to remove the battery from the bike unless you are living in a area where it gets in to sub-freezing temps at night, and you want to ride @ 6am. These batteries do get “sleepy” below 32 degrees- they don’t discharge, the cell chemistry actually slows down- and they will go right back to normal once above freezing.

As we have only had this battery configuration for about 18 months, I can only give real world answers based on that. I am still running my original battery in one of my racebikes. Never had a problem yet. It is actually a prototype which is not nearly as robust as what we have now, and it works flawlessly.

All of our bench testing and modeling indicates that the battery when properly cared for should last more than 5 years. Probably not a good thing for my sales, but they will last a log time!"

So it seems they will be fine :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
So what is the actual weight of the sbk batt in u.s. lbs?

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
So what is the actual weight of the sbk batt in u.s. lbs?
1.69 lbs, factory batteries are between 10 and 12 lbs (or more) if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I'm sharing one SpeedCell SBK Battery on several of my bikes by using a "quick release" version.

I did'nt ride for a few months during the winter. I did not have it on a charger, but the bike started right up. It only loses 1% per month ( which is 1/10th the lost most conventional batteries lose per month). It does not need a trickle charger. The battery has been trouble free.

Few things to consider though. The batteries do not have a lot of reserve capacity. If you forget to turn off your ignition, the lights will drain the battery much faster than the big conventional battery.
Make sure your regulator is in good shape and that your bike is charging correctly.
On the 749-999, I would make sure the hot lead is not touching the battery box- as the carbon in that box will drain the battery.

-M

1 - 9 of 9 Posts