Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

381 - 400 of 437 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Some recent sunsets

Here are a few shots from a short road trip I took in South Florida, shot with 6D and 24-105 f/4L lens handheld and TS-E 17. The last one is actually an iPhone shot in my local town of Coral Springs, FL. The sky was magnificent and that was the only camera I had with me, had to get a picture of that sky!

An Opening in the Sky by ddk632, on Flickr

Heavy Sky Beyond by ddk632, on Flickr

Painted Sky of Clouds by ddk632, on Flickr

Sunset Road by ddk632, on Flickr

Coral Sky by ddk632, on Flickr

·
Registered
393 Posts
Good shots. Was a storm brewing?
Thanks Bill,

Actually yes, there was a pretty heavy storm that I had driven through and got to the other side of it where the sky opened up (first 4 shots) and the fifth shot was also the edge of some ominous clouds that covered much of the sky.

It's always awesome to see the sunset at the edge of a storm, makes for a dramatic sunset!

·
Still needs a life.
12,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #384
It's always awesome to see the sunset at the edge of a storm, makes for a dramatic sunset!
I was visiting relatives in Iowa one summer in the mid 70's when a huge thunder storm rolled in at sunset. Quite spectacular. I stayed out and watched it until the lightning started getting close.

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Morning shot from home...

And zoomed in a bit...

And then an evening shot...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,478 Posts
Steveb64: Did you get any lightning shots from the big storm reported here:
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/17-chit-chat/432850-north-australian-storms-wtf-3.html
No :( - it was low heavy cloud - and most of the action was at a higher level in the clouds - a combination of sheet and fork lightning. At ground level we just got a bit of a flash, but no clear lightning strikes. You could just make out some of the lightning bolts through the cloud - but they all seemed to be cloud-to-cloud strikes where I am. The thunder was the most impressive thing about it all. Plus - doing the 'flash - count until the thunder arrived' thing, the worst of the storm was several miles away from us.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wanted to test out my new tripod so I took a couple long exposure sunrise shots of Pigeon Point lighthouse in California and then grabbed a couple of the sunrise over the hill behind Pescadero. hope you like them.

·
Official Retired Person
7,139 Posts
My beautiful bride and I spent the weekend in Beaufort, NC on the coast. Beaufort was established as a fishing village many years ago and is now a favorite stop on the Intercoastal Waterway and general tourist attraction. Several really nice B&B's, great restaurants and a city dock where landlubbers can gawk and all the yacht's.

Here are a few sunset photos I was fortunate enough to grab while were were there. Other than cropping a bit, these are just as the camera recorded them.

PB214749a by mnclark, on Flickr

PB214748 by mnclark, on Flickr

PB214740a by mnclark, on Flickr

PB214743 by mnclark, on Flickr

PB214746a by mnclark, on Flickr

PB224788a by mnclark, on Flickr

·
Registered
393 Posts
Morning of Miracles

Finally got out for another sunrise shoot yesterday. Really happy with the result, particularly the first image, titled "Morning of Miracles"

Morning of Miracles by ddk632, on Flickr

"Morning of Miracles"

The sun shines through heavy clouds as it rises on this beautiful morning.

I had my 6D set up on a tripod with the TS-E 17 lens and large Fotodiox Wonderpana CPL and a 0.9 HD Graduated Neutral Density filter.

In between each shot, I had to wipe down the filter from the water. I knew I wanted a long exposure look with the crashing waves over the sand.

The end result is a mystical-like semi transparent water layer over the beach. The rays of light from the sun as it shone through the clouds defined were like the miracle of light shining through the darkness of the wall of clouds.

A beautiful morning.

Canon 6D
TS-E 17mm f/4L
2.5 seconds
f/22
ISO 50

With Fotodiox Wonderpana 155mm "Slim" Circular Polarizer filter and a 0.9 HD (3-stop hard edge) Graduated Neutral Density Filter.

Dancing of the Clouds and the Sun by ddk632, on Flickr

"Dancing of the Clouds and the Sun"

Beautiful clouds lit up by a powerful sunrise made the sky on this morning.

I decided to set up near the side of the pier to have a barrier element to this shot. Then, I waited for the sun to emerge through the clouds and am grateful for the giant beams of light emanating in all directions above the water.

Sometimes a sunrise can be beautiful even with mild colors. This was one of those mornings.

·
Still needs a life.
12,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #396
The combination of sun, mountains, and clouds made Tuesday's (2/24/15) sunset off Sunset Ave. quite unique.

Photos #3-5: A lady walking by as I was taking pictures commented that the sunset looked like a martini glass.

Attachments

·
Still needs a life.
12,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
Friday (3/6/15) my friend Janine and I waited at Marina Park for some transient orcas.

Photo #1: The orcas were no shows, but we stayed for the sunset.

Photo #2: Janine showed me a photo she took of my telephoto lens silhouetted against the sunset, so I attempted a few as well.

Photos #3-5: I tried some HDR shots without a tripod using the 60's psychedelic setting, which most members over 60 should appreciate.

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
Ok, I got out to do a sunrise recently in Deering Estate, a beautiful property in Cutler, south of Miami. I'm short, it was epic. The first pic below is one of my best. Very proud of it. Check out the setup shot at the end :)

Waves of Light by ddk632, on Flickr

"Waves of Light"

This is one of my favorite recent shots. A beautiful sunrise at Deering Estate.

As the sun rises, from this angle the water of the bay is calm with peaceful waves and reflects the gorgeous orange and red hues of the rising sun towards the horizon.

For this shot, I wanted a perspective that was mostly water, and a bit of land and palm trees. I couldn't place the camera on the grass. I also wanted to convey a sense of being in the water for the viewer.

I actually placed the tripod on the lowest possible setting into the water, which is very shallow here - only a few inches. There was a small ladder leading into the water that made this possible, but the camera was much lower than I was sitting.

So, I made good use of the WiFi capability of the 6D and used my iPad to focus and set all of the settings and take the shot.

The tripod was completely submerged and the camera was perhaps 2 inches above the water. Plus, I had the Fotodiox CPL and 6x8" GND filter on as well, and the bottom of the filter was actually in the water!

It was well worth it to get this unique perspective of a beautiful sunrise and the waves of different colors.

March 21, 2015

Canon 6D
TS-E 17mm f/4L + CPL + 0.9 GND
1/10 sec at f / 18
ISO 50

-----------

Rise Above by ddk632, on Flickr

"Rise Above"

The sun rises as a ball of perfect fiery orange over Deering Estate at Cutler, in Miami. The ocean is calm and the sky is still. This is peace.

March 21, 2015

Canon EOS 6D
EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM @ 75mm w/1.5x TC (equiv. 150mm)
0.3 sec at f / 18
ISO 50

-----------

The Way by ddk632, on Flickr

"The Way"

Rising sun. A new day. A preview of what's to come. With few clouds at Deering Estate this morning, it was a sight to behold as the sun rose in a perfect circle of fiery orange, lighting a beautiful path of light upon the ocean.

March 21, 2015

Canon EOS 6D
EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM @ 300mm w/1.5x TC (equiv. 450mm)
1/6 sec at f / 18
ISO 50

-----------

Will have more later this week!

Have a beautiful day :)

P.s. Here's the setup shot:

381 - 400 of 437 Posts