Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 437 Posts

·
Still needs a life.
12,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another forum I belong to has a similar thread, so I thought I would start one here. These are some shots I took on 5/28 at the aptly named Sunset Avenue in Edmonds. Unfortunately, I was driving the F-150 and not riding the ST4s.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Some of my favorite rides in the Hampton Roads area. A ride through Williamsburg, VA and Jamestown on the ferry crossing the James River to Surry. Crossing the Currituck Sound to Knot Island and riding up through Pungo to home.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,608 Posts
Have a few...

Sadly, none are while riding. I don't take the camera along.

Newport News, VA on the James River.

California. Looking towards Point Magu Naval Air Station

Port Hueneme, CA

OK. Maybe not technically a sunrise or sunset pic as you would imagine. It was purposely taken just after sunrise to achieve the lighting effect. I had to get up pretty freaking early to get this one! It is the Portland Head Light in Portland, ME.

One more. Another that is lit by a setting sun, rather than a pic of the sun itself. I love the light provided in that golden hour!
Luray, VA

·
Still needs a life.
12,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have a few...

Sadly, none are while riding. I don't take the camera along.
Great photos. Why not get an inexpensive point and shoot for riding? My camera is a small point and shoot that fits in the pocket of my riding jacket. It does not produce the quality photos of an expensive SLR, but I can get to it without having to dismount the bike.

·
Premium Member
5,608 Posts
Why not get an inexpensive point and shoot for riding?
Because I think I'd be ripped if my best pictures came from that P&S and not my uber DSLR and bag of glass:D!

I will when I can get on a longer touring type ride. I am still in the weekend local ride mode after this career change. Since moving to New England, I think it will be a requirement to at least head out for a day this fall for the foliage pics!

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
More pix. Sandbridge VA, Oregon Coast, Vancouver Island,Puerto Vallarta, 35,000 ft above Mexico, Key West, and Buddy at Shasta.

BTW great thread Bill!!!

Attachments

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,867 Posts
Great thread! One of my favorite subjects. I love all the ones I've seen posted here. Here are a couple of my favorites I took at Lake Merideth near Amarillo, Texas. And yes, they were taken with my "uber slr" and not my pns I carry on the bike :)

·
Super Moderator
26,454 Posts
Very nice shots guys!

These were shot over Lake Ontario last summer, Nikon D50 w/ Nikkor 28/80 lens and no clue about settings...probably full auto.

That's Nine Mile Point Nuclear plant in the background...

Playing with filters...

And without...

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,867 Posts
The second from the bottom "with filter" is spectacular. They are all nice but that one really stands out to me.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Neither of these are typical "sunrise/sunset" shots in that the light itself is not the subject. But in both of them that lighting is essential to the image.

The first, shot on my window sill, is entitled "Grapes at Sunset." The second, "Moonscape," was shot at Rye Beach NH shortly after sunrise. Both have been digitalized (with some loss) from Cibachrome prints.

-don

Attachments

·
Still needs a life.
12,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today was a welcome break from Junuary in the Seattle area with bright sunshine and temperatures in the high 60's . Coincidentally (and fortunately), tonight was my regional riding group's monthly dinner at Cafe Veloce in Kirkland. http://www.cafeveloce.com/

We broke up about 8:00pm. Since sunset was not for another hour, my son Daren and I made a swing down to Sunset Ave. in Edmonds to watch the sunset and trains before heading home around 10:00. With twilight over Puget Sound lasting as late as 11:00, departure can be difficult.

Here are some photos I took of the sun at nearly the northern most point in its annual journey up the Olympic Penninsula.

Photo #1: the group saddling up to leave Cafe Veloce.
Photo #2: the sun is low on the horizon.
Photo #3: the low sun relfecting off the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry.
Photo #4: the sun setting behind my son Daren.
Photo #5: the sun has slipped below the horizon.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Great thread and some excellent shots. Figured I would throw this one on here. I've got some more nice shots but need to plug in the portable hard drive to dig them up, maybe later. Anyway here is one for now, not really a true sunset but a sunset reflection I guess, taken from a road 1/2 mile from the house looking east. Wish those damn electric lines weren't there but what do you do......

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just came across this thread and thought I might add some of my own pics. Let me know what you think. All were taken with a digital point and shoot. Eventual plan is to get a good DSLR, but finances prevent it.

Several hours from sunset at Keflavik, Iceland

Taken on PCH between San Francisco and Monterey on the way to Laguna Seca and MotoGP in '05

Just before the fog rolled in. This was taken on the way back to San Fran after the races

My friend playing in the surf

Another pic in the set

1 - 20 of 437 Posts