Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't all shout at me for asking this but can someone tell me if running my 748 on 5w-40 race oil is a bad Idea. I's only because when I first got the bike I thought the least I could do was to change the oil and filter. I had a load of 5w-40 left from my R6 so, being nieve, used that. It was only recently that I discovered that I should have put in allot thicker oil, something like a 40-50.
Can I use what I have or should I change it ASAP.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
I use a 15-50w oil in mine since i do alot of trackdays.

OIL is always a popular discussion topic. Especially in the superbike´s with Desmoquattro engines which have a few issues with flaking rockers.

The biggest reason to use thicker oils are that they are (normally) better at coping with the high stress placed on them by the rockers. Using a low weight oil gives the engine less resistance and better lubrication when running in "cold" conditions.

A 5-40W is better at low temps then a 15-50W. But the 15-50W is better at coping with high motor-temps and extreme enginespeeds (above 10.000RPM).

Not that a good 5-40W oil isn´t "good enough" for most riders, it probably is. But a 15-50W is probably better for active riders and during summer. And I´d think twice about running a 5-40W on the track.

Can you run it? Sure.. Just keep in mind that excessive enginespeed during extended periods might flake your rockers..

Should you change it? Well.. For that, I´d like to know more about the 5-40 your running. Fully synthetic? JASO-MA approved? Supplier and name? Ducati delivers there bikes with Shell Advance Ultra4 10-40W oil.. so a 5-40 should be alright for the road.

//amullo

·
Registered
167 Posts
custard said:
Don't all shout at me for asking this but can someone tell me if running my 748 on 5w-40 race oil is a bad Idea. I's only because when I first got the bike I thought the least I could do was to change the oil and filter. I had a load of 5w-40 left from my R6 so, being nieve, used that. It was only recently that I discovered that I should have put in allot thicker oil, something like a 40-50.
Can I use what I have or should I change it ASAP.

Thanks
When in doubt about the oil that's in your engine always remember that 4 liters of oil is a lot cheaper than even the slightest bit of damage or increased wear to your engine. With that being said, I'd always stick with what the manfucturer recommends for your engine which should be along the lines of 15-40 or 15-50 or 20-50.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I'll upgrade to a 15 40 next change. The 5 40 was a Silkolene Pro 4 Plus fully synthetic.

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
In the old Ducati.MS Hall of Wisdom was an article on the case for using Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic 15W-50. (in the old grey bottle with red cap) not the new package that says extened life or something of that effect. I believe the new oil says on the bottle "energy conserving" dont want that red cap botte. I have ran about 6000 miles with Mobil 1 (red cap) with a Scott's reusable filter and I ride hard in the canyons and have had 3 track days in that time.

I just cracked my cases for some performance mods and the engine builder was suprised how clean inside my cases were and asked what oil I was running. He was suprised to find that it was Mobil 1. Granted the motor only has 8800 miles. the bearings all look good, crank and big end had even wear.

I have ran mobil 1 in my Tahoe since I drove it off the lot with 5 miles on it. Mobil 1 is factory fill for all Vette's, Cadillac's, Vipers, Porsche, and Benz AMG. Now I know this kinda sounds like an ad for mobile 1, but I just trust thier oil and wont use anything else in my vehicles.

I found the file on my comp...hope it helps

The old red cap mobile 1 I described is getting harder to find. Most Napa's still have it in stock.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts