Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 380 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at the map, checking times and thinking :think: here is a rough format for our West Coast "Sport Classic Wrist Wrecker Run"

How does this sound as a general layout, details to be finalized of course?;

Date; July 2009.
Location; Santa Cruz.
Accommodation; Tidy hotel at around $100 to $125 per night. Advance booking so payments required.
Events;
One day trip south along the coast.
One day trip North to Napa and Sonoma.
One day trip further North to Redwoods and north coast towns.
Schedule a start time of say 8 am and a lunch stop wherever at say 12. Coffee along the way if required. Back in the bar after dinner.
This would see everyone able to head home on Sunday.
Rules; there are none (other than NO bullshit, crap, assholes or crybabies allowed).
Bikes; Anything that runs as long as you are there to have fun but SC's preferably.

Now this is only a rough framework and of course feedback will only make it better. Naturally this will not be one of those regimented runs and anyone can do anything they want anytime, no worries. I think the location, scenery, rides and timeframe would make for a good time for all.
After getting some feedback I will then start a new thread with a better outline of details, maps, hotel options etc and where we can all commit :eek:
Cheers

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Oh god count me in.

I'll be there. I just hope I don't get arrested this time:eek:

After looking at the map, checking times and thinking :think: here is a rough format for our West Coast "Sport Classic Wrist Wrecker Run"

How does this sound as a general layout, details to be finalized of course?;

Date; July 2009.
Location; Santa Cruz.
Accommodation; Tidy hotel at around $100 to $125 per night. Advance booking so payments required.
Events;
One day trip south along the coast.
One day trip North to Napa and Sonoma.
One day trip further North to Redwoods and north coast towns.
Schedule a start time of say 8 am and a lunch stop wherever at say 12. Coffee along the way if required. Back in the bar after dinner.
This would see everyone able to head home on Sunday.
Rules; there are none (other than NO bullshit, crap, assholes or crybabies allowed).
Bikes; Anything that runs as long as you are there to have fun but SC's preferably.

Now this is only a rough framework and of course feedback will only make it better. Naturally this will not be one of those regimented runs and anyone can do anything they want anytime, no worries. I think the location, scenery, rides and timeframe would make for a good time for all.
After getting some feedback I will then start a new thread with a better outline of details, maps, hotel options etc and where we can all commit :eek:
Cheers

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Alrighty then....July '09 it is! I guess I'll have to put the plans of trading the GT in on a Multistrada for a trip to Alaska on hold...:rolleyes::D:p;)

Can't wait!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Sounds good to me

My only change request is that we ride North from Santa Cruz.

Hwy-1 North of San Fran is epic and the LA folks will have already ridden the South Coast on the way up. We will have a long 2-1/2 (869 mi) days riding I-5 down from Seattle.

Big Sur is tempting though…….

Lee C.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Is this open to all? I might be in if so. I agree with Lee- I've been north of SF on HWY 1 many times, and it is incredible, all the way to Leggett where it finally connects with HWY 101 south of Eureka.

Please keep me in the loop...Thanks!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
My wife & I were already planning to ride to SF in July and we'd love it if we could share some SC company! As far as scheduling goes, are you planning to schedule around the USGP @ Laguna Seca July 3-5? The Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca website says Monterey is pretty bike-intensive during the event.

I've always wanted to do the Marin County/Sonoma County region properly on a bike, there's some pretty legendary roads around there.:D

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lee C; The trip south of course would be optional. I planned two trips North.

Dave, Dietrich, Rossa and Jeff ; would be great to see you. All riders welcome!

The entire South Bay area is pretty crazy during Moto GP. If we all want to meet up at this time we would need to book accommodation WELL in advance ... like soon! This could make for a much more interesting trip with lots of other bikes to look at.
Lets keep working on the general plan, seeing how much interest we have and then we can firm up the rides etc.
Thanks!

What about a couple of Perth visitors...... from OZ ,,,, we could arrange a ride for you!

·
Registered
792 Posts
I've always wanted to do the Marin County/Sonoma County region properly on a bike, there's some pretty legendary roads around there.:D
This is my backyard! I live in Sonoma County and grew up in Napa and I'd be happy to act as tour guide if you'll be seen with someone on a Supersport instead of an SC. I can show you some "locals-only" roads as long as you promise to not divulge the intel following the strafe.

Is there an overnight planned in Sonoma/Napa? The small hotel in downtown Sebastopol offers group rates and is within stumbling distance of The Hopmonk Tavern http://hopmonk.com/. The Starlight http://www.starlightwinebar.com/ is owned by a serious gearhead who has no chicken strips on the tires of his Matchless and sponsers a 'Gearhead Wednesday' every week.

This scene is about 30 minutes from town:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Ducnut,

I did not read your post closely enough, you are planning day trips out of Santa Cruz…..

This is my tentative-preliminary-proposed-counterproposal

Day-1 Thurs:__Leave in Seattle in the afternoon for Salem I-5
Day-2 Fri:____Salem to Redding I-5
Day-3 Sat:___Arrive Santa Cruz in the evening (Drink with Cal riders)!
Day-4 Sun:___Hang out in Santa Cruz and/or do Southern day ride
Day-5 Mon:___Head North up the coast to Fort Bragg (or head in to Napa) ?
Day-6 Tues:__More sweet coast to Brandon
Day-7 Wed:__(LA riders head home?) Brandon to Cannon Beach
Day-8 Thurs:__Cannon Beach to Seattle

That is 5-1/4 days off work for us working stiffs.

Lee C.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
This is my backyard! I live in Sonoma County and grew up in Napa and I'd be happy to act as tour guide if you'll be seen with someone on a Supersport instead of an SC. I can show you some "locals-only" roads as long as you promise to not divulge the intel following the strafe.

Is there an overnight planned in Sonoma/Napa? The small hotel in downtown Sebastopol offers group rates and is within stumbling distance of The Hopmonk Tavern http://hopmonk.com/. The Starlight http://www.starlightwinebar.com/ is owned by a serious gearhead who has no chicken strips on the tires of his Matchless and sponsers a 'Gearhead Wednesday' every week.

This scene is about 30 minutes from town:
Thanks for your generous offer! If this ride pulls together it sounds like like a blast. My plan is to stay with relatives in Sebastopol or Dillon Beach, so I'm in your neighborhood. Let's see what specifics work for the group. And BTW, nice bike! (And the view doesn't suck either...)

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
i will be making my annual pilgrimage to laguna seca to enjoy the bikes, buddies, boobs & booze - and maybe catch a race or two...

my trip is typically: leave seattle wed. afternoon, hit laguna fri. nite, hang for races sat/sun, leave mon. morning and back in seattle wed. nite.

if you set the dates during the race weekend, i can squeeze an extra day into my return trip, hook up w/the gang for a night and ride the next day in a northern direction and head back w/a couple of the seattle/oregon/canada folks?? would LOVE to meet a bunch of you guys and check out your rides.

with any luck i'll be riding my "special winter project bike" (the bits are starting to arrive in my lab as we speak MWAHAHA!!)

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I'm in.

But for us SOCAL riders, the beef will be the coast north of SF...
Ideally, Day 1 is the ride up the coast to Santa Cruz, Day 2 is the redwoods, and day 3 could be napa/sonoma, and then racing the 5 or 101 back down...

or we can flip it and make it quickly on up there on day one etc...

·
Registered
421 Posts
John,

I vouch for you in the “bullshit, crap, asshole and crybaby” department…… :)

Your in !

Cheers,
lee C.
Gee, thanks Lee! Just to clarify, are you vouching that I am one, or that I'm not? :)

I've gotta read this over a few more times to get it clear- looks like you'll want to be close to 6 days, Geoff less. Doubt I could pull away for that long, but maybe. I saw that you mentioned going north to Fort Bragg. That's cool and from SF to there is beautiful, but that crazy stretch of HWY 1 from the coast to Leggett and 101 would be hard to miss.

Just for thought and reference, in a cage it's about 7 hours from Seattle to Grants Pass Oregon. From there I used to head southwest to Crecent City and Eureka, then 101 south to Leggett to catch HWY 1 to the coast and south to San Fransisco. My buddy's house was north of Jenner (where the Russian river hits the sea) about an hour. To his place it was a total of around 16 hours, and 800+ miles. Point is, going this way it would be a very long two days from Seattle to SF, but doable. This is the trip I had wanted to do late this summer, but couldn't find the time. Neatest scenery and riding I've ever done.

Gotta get back to it. I'll read this post through again later.

·
Registered
262 Posts

]

I too am a North Bay local just a bit farther North.

You should plan to leap frog you overnites as using Santa Cruz as base camp will limit your twisty time. Maybe first nite there then use PSsssp suggestion for second nite, I am sure an entertaining loop could be made zig zaggin the coastal range, that would put you in Fortuna for the 3rd nite then work your way back South.

The Avenue of the Giants is a good scenic ride ride North of Leggett and the Best Western in Fortuna is bike friendly (they hand out towels for your bike).

Of course you should include Skaggs http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Skaggs+springs+rd&search_type=&aq=f in your loop. It is pretty much Mecca up here just depends on how many miles a day you plan to do.

Halfwing has a site that may be usefull? http://www.sporttouring.info/WEB_PAGES/FIRST_PAGE.html

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Looking good already guys!.
I am sure we will have plenty of options for rides and clearly we have great offers of help from the local lads so we can get to this later. Keep the ideas coming but lets just see how many takers there are. I think a new thread with a series of options for rides would be good... like Plan 1, Plan 2, Plan 3 and Plan 4 . then we could do a poll and vote. Thus the most popular plan is discovered that suits the most people. KEEP YOUR PANTS ON ... I can already hear the complaints that this is too organized but of course if we have a general plan then we can maximize the fun and everyone can cut in or out of a plan whenever they want. For example if we have a chosen plan of rides over three days then someone can decide to take a day off to visit a friend knowing that the next days ride would be one they wanted to do.... maximum flexibility while knowing there will still be someone to ride with the next day..... free and easy just like a pair of dangleberries blowing in the wind :D
Lee and I both work for ourselves so time off is easier for us. I think the core ride in the Bay Area is one thing. How much time we take off before and after and how we get there are for each of us to decide individually.
I will post a link to this thread on the Desmo NW forum to try to snare a few others. Anyone else could do the same if they know of other groups.
I think we could even take a poll on some names for this run and I could get some t shirts printed at my cost to sell! Ideas for a name???

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Dudes - I am very, very in. Excited for the planning portion, lets see what we come up with. I very much like the suggestions being thrown around now. Big sur may be a cool meetup for those that haven't seen it yet. I love to drink, but I love riding even more. I'd like to have our days focused on riding, and logging some serious miles at that - I want to make sure that the meetup - is a ride as well as a social event. Once the ride is done - trust I am ready to throw down with the best of em' (yes...consider this a challenge :D). If we can make the trip dates seperate from Laguna Seca, I would like that.

I think I can get great t-shirts made, have done it around here for a handful of bands I used to manage - good quality, cheap price etc...etc.. I have a few ideas rolling around...to start...

I believe our theme should be

"Veni, Imbibi, Vici"

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Sorry - just read through everyone's posts...by all means lets get t-shirts done though. Whoever has the best hookup - lets roll with. Wasn't trying to hijack that idea.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"Veni, Imbibi, Vici" ........ it's a fantastic motto and MUST appear on the t shirt (and matching leather underwear ensemble for those so inclined :confused:)
Keep it coming ..........

1 - 20 of 380 Posts