Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ride to the limit on a SportClassic and you'll wish you bought a 1098 or an 848! I have a 16 year old 851 that just starts to come alive at 5-6000 rpm, right about the time my GT is thinking about running out of poop. The 851 on its lowly Strada Showas handles like its on rails but the GT wobbles at every rain groove in Southern California. BUT...I can cruise around LA, stylin' on the GT in comfort, and even hit the Crest Highway with a bit of confidence - as long as I don't expect race performance. I think that if you're looking for racetrack performance out of a SportClassic, you might want to look elsewhere. It IS a streetbike, after all...

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Getting 2009 gt1000 , Saying Aloha from Maui

Aloha. I get my new GT1000 next week. This is my firt post here! I ordered tremmis, headlight fairing, 41 tooth rear and obron mirrors.. Any Sugestions for a new owner, NOT My first bike !!! I am used to 4 cyl hondas.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Aloha. I get my new GT1000 next week. This is my firt post here! I ordered tremmis, headlight fairing, 41 tooth rear and obron mirrors.. Any Sugestions for a new owner, NOT My first bike !!! I am used to 4 cyl hondas.

Cory ride the piss out of it and take your evenings to sit and read read read. The more you read what folks have said and the more you ride it the more what you want out of it will be clear to you. Besides wear out some of those parts before you replace them. Get your moneys worth out of it all.

·
Banned
213 Posts
Ride to the limit on a SportClassic and you'll wish you bought a 1098 or an 848! I have a 16 year old 851 that just starts to come alive at 5-6000 rpm, right about the time my GT is thinking about running out of poop. The 851 on its lowly Strada Showas handles like its on rails but the GT wobbles at every rain groove in Southern California. BUT...I can cruise around LA, stylin' on the GT in comfort, and even hit the Crest Highway with a bit of confidence - as long as I don't expect race performance. I think that if you're looking for racetrack performance out of a SportClassic, you might want to look elsewhere. It IS a streetbike, after all...
Your right mate, they are a great roadbike, but a gutless piece of poo if you want performance . I enjoy the ride of mine if its flowing smooth. Thats what they are all about . My old SSD felt much sharper on the throttle.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had the opportunity to ride my '06 S1K mono back to back with my '02 R1 this week (between downpours...). Although I know some here may be perfectly happy with the stock suspension on our Ducs, the fact is that the difference in ride and handling is very noticeable. Like swapping workboots for sneakers. I love my Ducati, but the factory suspension really is crap. The quality of the Ohlins upgrade understandably commands a high price, but it's ridiculous for DNA to expect its customers to pop for another $4000+ to bring a $12000 bike up to par. Is there an integrated upgrade suspension package available for real world money? Everything else about this bike is a joy. Sucks to be held back for lack of decent suspension.

·
Registered
369 Posts
You know, I think a GT will still do a 12 second quarter mile, which is amazing on a general scale of performance. I have a 1098s and I like the power delivery of the GT a lot more for everyday driving. It does everything I ask it to do very well. Yeah the stock suspension is not up to Ohlins grade or fully adjustable Showa, but this bike was the lowest price SC when it came out; suspension costs $. You can revalve and spring it so it is a decent set up, I wish they did in fact put better suspension on it from factory. It does suck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi
please would someone take few meshures from picture for me:

Z-
Y-

Please also what are the same meshures on top plate?
Z-top triple plate
Y- top triple plate

thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
The fork diameter on top is 50mm, bottom is 54mm (Y).

The way you should measure Z is center to center, not between the edges. Center to Center it's 205mm.

·
Registered
163 Posts
s4r forks

are the s4r forks a direct swap with the stock? they need no spacers and don't stick up way past the clamps? are these the next best from Ohlins? i have read most of the threads and am just looking for conformation from a few who have done it
they would be going on a 09 gt
thanks

·
37 Posts
Has anyone tried moving their Mono rear shock further back?
There's another (potential) mounting hole on the bracket under the seat.
Any issues with interference, etc?
I'm planning on using the original shock hole to mount a rear footpeg bracket and convert my Mono to a Bip (I'll post images of the new bracket once prototyped)...

·
Registered
232 Posts
are the s4r forks a direct swap with the stock? they need no spacers and don't stick up way past the clamps? are these the next best from Ohlins? i have read most of the threads and am just looking for conformation from a few who have done it
they would be going on a 09 gt
thanks
Bumping this post. Would also very much like to know. Is there any difference in different years of the S4R, say 2005 to 2010? Or are they just the same?

21 - 40 of 50 Posts