Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I just joined this forum, all of your suggestions will be considered.
I will travel every weekend and always exploring new places to visit. I live in Dublin CA (San Francisco). I want to go with Supersport S please suggest your ideas since I never drove Motorcycle in the US but I drove a motorcycle in my country for 8 years (under 150-200CC).

·
Registered
793 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You have posted your request in a sub forum that is mostly used by riders of the older generation air cooled Ducati Supersport motorcycles. There is another sub forum for the new Supersport and you will likely get better information about that bike from those users. I will pass on one bit of advice: There is a major power, and speed difference between a motorcycle like the new Supersport and a 150-200CC bike. I strongly suggest that you purchase a used, relatively inexpensive, low power motorcycle like a 500CC, and ride it for a year or so to improve your skills and decide if you want to pursue motorcycling. Practice in large parking lots early in the morning. If you decide to continue, you should be able to sell the old bike for about what you paid and purchase a Supersport or other larger bike. In my opinion, this approach helps ensure that newer riders get to be older riders. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum. You have posted your request in a sub forum that is mostly used by riders of the older generation air cooled Ducati Supersport motorcycles. There is another sub forum for the new Supersport and you will likely get better information about that bike from those users. I will pass on one bit of advice: There is a major power, and speed difference between a motorcycle like the new Supersport and a 150-200CC bike. I strongly suggest that you purchase a used, relatively inexpensive, low power motorcycle like a 500CC, and ride it for a year or so to improve your skills and decide if you want to pursue motorcycling. Practice in large parking lots early in the morning. If you decide to continue, you should be able to sell the old bike for about what you paid and purchase a Supersport or other larger bike. In my opinion, this approach helps ensure that newer riders get to be older riders. Good luck.
Thank you very much, I will definitely consider your opinion. I will post my post in that Sub Forum

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Any Supersport topic is welcome in this forum, but generally the topics don't stray far from the bikes ending in 2006-ish.

There is a whole other forum dedicated to the new 2017+ Supersport, but because of it's narrow focus (a single motorcycle from a single manufacturer) and lany significant lack of update to the bike since it was introduced in 2017, the traffic there has started slowing down. You will absolutely get your questions answered there though, and you'll find a few of us in this forum also posting over there because we own the 2017+ Supersport!

ducatisupersport939.net/

·
Registered
10 Posts
Psy mentions the "new" Supersport forum. I find it a great bike, very light and handles very well. Lots of safety nannies that work well and make it a fantastic ride (I wouldn't believe it either until I rode it). Best brakes and handling I've encountered on any motorcycle. Seat and bar comfort are great too. Power is OK but not overwhelming, about 110HP, so not at Sportbike level.

I'll warn you, that forum is pretty contentious bunch. I have the standard version (no Ohlins) and my opinion about that has caused lifetime grudges on the board with folks I've never met.

I can't guess your experience level. The bike is beautiful but if you drop it once, it will be very expensive. But once you ride it, the bike can be docile and predictable. I've never been on a bike more sporty or felt safer.

I'll warn you when cold the clutch is very grabby and you'll likely kill it until you get a couple of clutch cycles, I still kill it too even with 10k miles on it. The gearbox can be notchy particularly getting into neutral. And the mirrors are very buzzy. So if those things might intimidate you, you might think twice. I will say that I've recommended Suzuki SV650 for anyone buying their first bike. The SS is a sporty machine that will get you around on the track and probably run 150mph, it's comfortable enough to take a week long trip on. It won't run with a liter sportbike but they'll have a hard time keeping up you on twisty mountain roads. The bike is perfect for twisty roads. Best ever.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Psy mentions the "new" Supersport forum. I find it a great bike, very light and handles very well. Lots of safety nannies that work well and make it a fantastic ride (I wouldn't believe it either until I rode it). Best brakes and handling I've encountered on any motorcycle. Seat and bar comfort are great too. Power is OK but not overwhelming, about 110HP, so not at Sportbike level.

I'll warn you, that forum is pretty contentious bunch. I have the standard version (no Ohlins) and my opinion about that has caused lifetime grudges on the board with folks I've never met.
I've agreed and disagreed with you on several things on that forum.

This is the easiest bike to ride fast that I've ever owned, and it seems we agree on that point. It will lose to every litre bike out there on the flat open road but it will run with the best of them in the canyons.

I think we disagree on suspension service intervals and specifically the quality of Ohlins seals.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've agreed and disagreed with you on several things on that forum.

This is the easiest bike to ride fast that I've ever owned, and it seems we agree on that point. It will lose to every litre bike out there on the flat open road but it will run with the best of them in the canyons.

I think we disagree on suspension service intervals and specifically the quality of Ohlins seals.
Forums are about discussions. And if everyone agreed, we'd never learn anything. You briefly characterized what I said. The problem I have there, is that when we disagree on that board, several have to be quite disagreeable.

As a result, there is little traffic on that board, little camaraderie and very little interest to meet up for rides. And even when one member starts a thread about posting photos even that gets shot down for merely participating.

BTW- I'll make another pitch for the Ozark Raid in Jasper ARK in May.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well I invite everyone on this forum to come by my shop during Daytona Bike Week 2020-I do an open house during the whole event-I have Hot Dogs on the grill & drinks for everyone who stops by --I have a European Motorcycle shop in DeLand Fl. yes 99% of what I do is BMW but I also work on Ducati, Triumph, MV & the New Nortons--everyone is welcome, If you arrive on anything other then a BMW you may be given a small ration of crap--but thats just a normal day lol

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
Are you referring to the "Bikes and Babes / Gentlemans Clubhouse" thread?

"Let’s start a thread where everyone can contribute with pictures of stunning bikes (Ducatis preferred but not exclusive) ridden by stunning beauties. No nudity, Gents. Arty pics even better if you find them." And then the thread exploded because one of the gentlemen who preferred gentlemen posted an arty photo of a scantily clad man posing with a bike?

I agree, Ozarks sounds like a nice get together, beautiful region and really lovely roads. I have family in the area, I wish it was closer to Oregon, I'd definitely make a trip out of it!

·
Registered
539 Posts
No not referring to that--Bike week in Daytona --every year in and around March

·
Registered
539 Posts
This year Bike week is March 6-15th

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are you referring to the "Bikes and Babes / Gentlemans Clubhouse" thread?

"Let’s start a thread where everyone can contribute with pictures of stunning bikes (Ducatis preferred but not exclusive) ridden by stunning beauties. No nudity, Gents. Arty pics even better if you find them." And then the thread exploded because one of the gentlemen who preferred gentlemen posted an arty photo of a scantily clad man posing with a bike?

I agree, Ozarks sounds like a nice get together, beautiful region and really lovely roads. I have family in the area, I wish it was closer to Oregon, I'd definitely make a trip out of it!
Nope. It wasn't that thread. It was the photo thread about photos with the bikes at requested locations. I contributed a couple and criticized for it. I am done now. I suppose the guy that started it is a little bummed now and probably zoned out. (and I never posted nudity -if that's your implication!)

Forget about that forum.

Why not compare the new SS with the older SS in your ID photo? I'd be interested.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This year Bike week is March 6-15th
hmmmm... Interesting. Some of us Guzzi guys camp at Camp Carlo. A slim chance we might do it again. Bike Week is so weak since the Daytona 200 is a bust an the vintage bikes aren't there.

But I might be interested and take my toy hauler again if there is anything going on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well I invite everyone on this forum to come by my shop during Daytona Bike Week 2020-I do an open house during the whole event-I have Hot Dogs on the grill & drinks for everyone who stops by --I have a European Motorcycle shop in DeLand Fl. yes 99% of what I do is BMW but I also work on Ducati, Triumph, MV & the New Nortons--everyone is welcome, If you arrive on anything other then a BMW you may be given a small ration of crap--but thats just a normal day lol
Sorry, didn't mean to blow your off. (above post). Camp Carlo is down by the lake south in the park (secret).

You like Guzzis?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have a couple of customers that have older Guzzi's that I work on, I would not mind having a mid 90's Guzzi Daytona-but it would have to be one of the years that had carbs not FI or maybe even a LeMans III

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a couple of customers that have older Guzzi's that I work on, I would not mind having a mid 90's Guzzi Daytona-but it would have to be one of the years that had carbs not FI or maybe even a LeMans III
I'll disagree on both counts, although I might feel differently if I owned a shop to keep the two cam engine going. The late 90s-00s FI is pretty well dialed and is the same unit as on the Ducatis of the era. There are also maps available from a Guzzi enthusiast (Guzzi Diag).

Mine has a power commander and exhaust setup. 46k miles and has made several week long trips. Perhaps the the prettiest bike on the roads (my new SS included).

·
Registered
539 Posts
Well the only ones I work on are Vintage bikes, I dont work on the newer ones, but for me personally if I were to purchase one The older LeMans III or a mid 90's carby Daytona are the ones that I would want for my stable. It's just a personal preference, I am not saying there is anything wrong with the injected models I am just old and like carbs lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts