Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggetions on the set of 1998 stock 916 with slip ons. Gearing ect...

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
You have those nice mags, so that's a nice starting point.

Better than OEM EPROM.

At least 15/38 gearing. So play with the ratios. 14/38 may be ok, 15/40, etc. Just what you have available. If you have nothing available, throw a 14 up front for now and go from there.

Have your geometry and suspension setup. What you have for now is more than ok even if you are very fast, in terms of equipment.

Q3 or some good sport tires.

Fresh brake fluid and EBC HH front pads. Rear don't matter.

Under fairing sliders, sooner or later. On low-sides the old Ducatis crash well stock. Sliders won't help in a high-side.

Dump the headlights and all other unnecessary weight. Horn, lights, lighting switch, etc.

In the end Gary, not much needs to be done to these bike to really get moving around the track. And by moving I mean hauling ass. Start small and add as you go. As long as you don't ride something with a top end setup, you won't know what you are missing.

I see people go all in on their bikes at the track when they would be faster on a mopped if they had paid for lessons instead. Not saying that is you.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Stock gearing for a 1998 916 is 15/36 really tall in my opinion, the same as my 2000 996
I switched to 15/39 for the track and it is still to tall, this year going to 15/40 maybe 41
Stock bodywork is heavy, headlight and bucket are heavy, so is the battery and flywheel, dropping weight is the best and most cost effective performance modification after a gearing change. A lot cheaper than cams or headwork

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
14 front is perfect , and good tyres and if you like get some grippier ( ie rizoma ) pegs and go play moose

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
agree with all the above

nichols flywheel, shorai battery, fast throttle cam from here Electraeon Fast Throttle Cam for Ducati motorcycles.

i tried the 15/39 gearing and don't like it much, good off the mark and in traffice but from then on first is too low accept for the slowest corners.

rcs master, full floatering brembos and ferado xrac pads are a nice front brake upgrade. But agree with others best money you can spend is on coaching, i've done a few and california superbike school are the best, Keith Code even has a thread here somewhere to answer questions. Over here we have a company that organises track days and offers coaching for an extra 100 or so, they seem to know their stuff, racers and x-racers.

stompgrip for the tank.

get fit and lose weight :)

depends on your budget of course, years ago there was a dentist over here wanted to get into racing, bought a 916 of some sort, got a full time coach, he was pretty quick after 12 months, dropped $250k on it, the next year he went car racing :)

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
this year going to 15/40 maybe 41
Put a 14 up front with the 40, if you have a 14. 916 or 996. Plus you get some more length out of the rear.

I have run every gearing up to 42 on the 916 and 996. For most tracks the 14/40 is quick and has enough pull as long as the straits are not too long. Great out of the corners.

But with a modified engine 15/38 or 15/40 is optimal. Though, I have not run 15/36 in many years. That may change my mind when I run it.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
got a 15/41 sprocket setup. had the 998 on the track last weekend and never got out of third gear. got up to about 130 on the short straights, found my self down shifting mid corner into 1st gear. either too high or too low in the rpms, gearing was 15/39. going to try 15/41 sprockets on the 916. has a 1098 front master cylinder.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
In order;

Sticky tires
Suspension
Get track fairings and remove lights
Brembo 4 pad calipers and HH pads (if not, then at least get some good pads and bump it to #3)
Gearing depends on track. Wouldn't worry too much about that yet.

Reactions: ducvet

·
Registered
855 Posts
got a 15/41 sprocket setup. had the 998 on the track last weekend and never got out of third gear.
The 916 is nothing like your 998,.... way down on power by comparison . Like others have said gearing depends on the track and the length of the straights.
I can't get to 10,000 rpm in 6th with a 15/39 before braking on the straight at the Ridge.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
was going thru the bike today and PO had a 3 phase regulator hooked into a single phase stator. so what he did was clip one yellow wire and heat shrink it off. dont know well this works but dont think it will charge well.

·
Premium Member
5,636 Posts
Works fine. Charges perfectly as set up. I have the same, but with a mosfet reg. Just left one line open.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
getting down to doing the fairings now. took it all apart and checked everything. cored out half the stock exhaust from a 998, almost back together. first track day memorial day.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Gearing 15-39(SP SPEC) any Higher and you bloody left had will be nackered fron all the gear changes. Don't use a 14 on the front. I'm not gonna go into why, just google it…Grab a cheap track fairing from China. Ditch the mirrors,indicators,number plate,headlight and anything else you don't need. Personally I run DP brake pads. The feel and initial bite is inspiring. If you can manage it Invest in some wheels. They will completely transform the bikes Handeling. Carbon front mud guard and titanium bolts to reduce the un-sprung weight. I just did a track day at Valencia on my modified 97 916 and she held her own dispite being nearly twenty years old. Ran like a clock and rock solid when leaned over. Super corsa SP or SC works very well but needs tire warmers to avoid cold tearing and feeling wobbly until up to temperature.

Carbon Cans won't really do anything for power but are much lighter than OEM ones. I was gonna mention the battery but I see it already has a modern sealed unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
found another nice surprise today on the bike. took the clutch apart to check it out, to find out it is a Bucci slipper clutch

Reactions: RockAZ and Mikes748

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally bougght the bike to part out and make a profit. The rims, spare fairings, and arrow exhaust are going to cover the cost of keeping the bike as my van got totaled and had to get a truck. Think i am going to swap out my oz rrims for track use.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts