Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
History on the bike;
2001 748 w/ 9750miles currently.

Bike was sitting still since 2003- begining of this year 02/2006. The bike did not start all the time, and had alot of hesitation, 1st owner put about 6k on it and bought a 998 and never rode this bike, 2nd owner bought the bike with 6500 miles on it and did the follow service i'm about to list.

here is what service records I have

6662 miles;
New Fuel Pump
New seal Rings
New Fuel Filter
New Cam Belts
New Battery

8889 miles;
New Spark Plugs
Oil & Filter
Coolant Flush With Engine ICE
Valve Adjustment
Rocker were in good condition, and no mention of flaking or concerns mention.
Fluid exchange, brakes & clutch fluid

Other things replace were the whole clutch assembly, bike fell of tailer and broke a clutch spring because he had a half carbon cover, saw the picture and damage so it was not a lowside.

Parts on order to replace;
Evo slave cylinder
DID Gold VM 520 chain
Fork and rear axle slider

that is pretty much it for mechanical parts, all the other parts are cosmetic.

So is there anything i missed? i herd the slave cylinder will evenutally give out so i'm going to take care of that first before it becomes a problem, anything else i missed?

Thanks in advance and I will post picture when i get my computer back.

Tony

·
Registered
572 Posts
Well, the bike has not been ridden from 2003 to 02/2006.
First of all, belts must be replaced (Belts: 12000 miles OR 2 years). Oil and filter must be changed also. Fuel filter also.
Then, to be really aware of valve adjustement and rockers condition, check valve clearance and camshaft condition.
More generally, replace all fluids (clutch, brake, oil, coolant).
Then.....GAAAAZZZZ :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
It doesn't need new belts or a valve-adj if it has just been sitting... if you are paranoid, do the belts, but valves would be a total waste of money.

Change fluids (incl fuel) then just go ride it... it's fine...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well if you look at my post the previous 2 service address all the fluids, cam belts, clutch, and valve adjsutment, I think i forgot to mention that these two recent service was done this year. So im thinking i'm ok untl 15k, just wanted to make sure there is nothing i'm missing.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you have any doubts on service issues it is well worth the money to do them all again.

I had doubts on a service that was just completed and took the bike in to a different mechanic... the mechanic found a loose belt, valve out of adjustment, and a rocker that was flaking so bad it had started to mar the cam...

what does it cost to replace the engine vs. another service :confused:

If in doubt I would have it checked out or (if you can do it) spend the time to check it over.

Just my .02

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
It shouldn´t be a problem to just ride after replacing fluids like brakefluid and oil+filter.

coolant should be okey aswell as forkoil.. I´d change the fuelfilter and fuel anyway (condensation may be an issue.. depends on temps and storage)

Definatly replace the cambelts so you KNOW they are ok (It´s simply not worth the risk..). Long storage can have an impact on streching the cambelts somewhat. That can cause tearing.

//amullo

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Rocker Condition?

Everything sounds good to me, except that you don't seem to have an idea of what the rockers look like. I just completed the 6k service (at 5679 miles) on my 2002 748 and replaced four of the opening rockers because I didn't think they'd last until the 12k service. The local dealership said that they'd probably used the same rockers instead of replacing them (two were definitely "iffy" in my opinion). Do you KNOW what condition the rockers are in and if they'll make it to the next service? The rockers are the only thing I'd be concerned with from what you told us.

·
comrade moderator
26,748 Posts
A good friend of mine is an independent Ducati Tech (and one of the best in the country). We were talking about belts for my 749 (12k miles) and he said bikes that sit do way more damage to the belts than bikes that are ridden often.I'd put some belts on it, then ride, ride, ride!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Fuel Pump/filter, cam belts, and valve job was done this year after the 3yr hibernation, so the parts are new and up to date. I asked the mechanic about the condition of the rockers and he said that the bike seems to have never been redline that much and looks good, i'm looking to find a set of opening rockers on ebay to send them off and install all of them on my next service which is going to be 15k.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts