Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

So here is an interesting problem that's been happening now for the last 3 or 4 rides. I have noticed it towards the end of the ride and not at the beginning. What happens is the bike suddenly decides to rev at 3000RPM or thereabouts when I am coming to a stopp. It feels as if the accelerator is stuck, but of course it's not.

It's anoying at traffic lights, because it sounds loud (but nice ) with my open Zards, and I usually sit at lights in Neutral - and re-engaging the first gear is harder and I imagine not as good for the gear box at 3000RPM.

So, what I ask could be the issue? I do run the following: Full zard system with no baffles, Fat Duc O2 manipulator, modifies stock airbox (No lid).

Is this a clutch problem? Doubt it. Is it too much air and the bike wants to compensate? Is it related to the O2 manipulator, the bike thinks something is off? Is it an electrical issue - battery doesn't have enough voltage and the bike goes crazy? is it dirty injectors?

I read somewhere that some guy switched the bike on and off 5 times and it went away - I tried after one ride and it came back again today - so I can't imagine that's a fix.

Any thoughts and wisdom would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
My bet is on the Fat Duc. Flashing your ECU would be a better solution.

But the problem may just be a bad connection somewhere? Or RR failing.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My bet is on the Fat Duc. Flashing your ECU would be a better solution.

But the problem may just be a bad connection somewhere? Or RR failing.
Thanks greggers, I took the Fat Duc off and will see how it goes. Also ordered a new battery. I'll have to go through and check the bike over for bad connections. What is his RR you mentioned??

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Valves too tight can cause high idles after the bike is hot.
Thanks YMRacing. I only have 6700km on the bike. Think it could be the valves? Hope not, that would just disappoint me. One would hope DUC's are better build than that!

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Thanks greggers, I took the Fat Duc off and will see how it goes. Also ordered a new battery. I'll have to go through and check the bike over for bad connections. What is his RR you mentioned??
A sampling of RR related threads

Valves should be checked at 6000 miles (9500km I believe), but if the electrics all check out that's probably your next good bet.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A sampling of RR related threads

Valves should be checked at 6000 miles (9500km I believe), but if the electrics all check out that's probably your next good bet.
I've relocate the regulator to underside of seat pan so it cools better. Thanks for the link though.
I rode the bike today with the Fat Duc and it did the high revving thing again, then I stopped and took off the Fat Duc and it ran fine. Looks like It is the Fat Duc that's messing with me. Never really notices an improvement with it to be honest.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had a similar problem (also having trouble idling cold). Everything pointed to the stepper motor. Which, by the way, does anyone know where I can find an aftermarket stepper motor? My dealer wants $930 for a new one. ugh.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had a similar problem (also having trouble idling cold). Everything pointed to the stepper motor. Which, by the way, does anyone know where I can find an aftermarket stepper motor? My dealer wants $930 for a new one. ugh.
I have no idling issues, the bike adjusts fine, but I do need to richen up the mixture due to an open air box and the Zards. That's why I got the Fat Duc, but it created problems instead of solving the fuel mixture.

I should probably get the bike dyno'd and find out what's needed.

Would a power commander help with this? I've heard there is a box you can add that does auto tune ?!

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Have you got the DP ECU or had yours flashed? That's the first step. The PC III is known to work with the SC, and that needs to be mapped with a dyne. The PC V has some auto-tune possibilities, but I've seen 2 people on here have trouble getting them to work, as there is no SC specific one. PC V + auto tune is $600-700, not sure thats less than it would cost to just have your bike dynoed and a PC III setup. Autotune is probably better if you plan on changing things a lot.

But either way you will need to do something about the stock ECU first, either flash or swap in DP one

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you got the DP ECU or had yours flashed? That's the first step. The PC III is known to work with the SC, and that needs to be mapped with a dyne. The PC V has some auto-tune possibilities, but I've seen 2 people on here have trouble getting them to work, as there is no SC specific one. PC V + auto tune is $600-700, not sure thats less than it would cost to just have your bike dynoed and a PC III setup. Autotune is probably better if you plan on changing things a lot.

But either way you will need to do something about the stock ECU first, either flash or swap in DP one
OK, thanks. I'll look into the DP Ecu or re-flash.

·
Registered
228 Posts
It's not the FatDuc. I have the same issue and my bike is brand new (1500 miles) and fully stock :)

·
Registered
43 Posts

Disconnect the awful thing.
Go for a run and bring it up to operating temperature.
With the motor idling, disconnect the 3 pin connector going to the stepper.
Adjust your idles with the Airbleeds. Set to 1100 or so and make sure both cylinders are working together. Go for a ride and while cruising at 3000 or so, lean for your head, 1st one way and then the other, listening to the sound of each muffler. It will be pretty apparent if 1 is working harder. Tickle until happy.
All done.
Sure beats spending 900 bucks and still having the awful thing.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's not the FatDuc. I have the same issue and my bike is brand new (1500 miles) and fully stock :)
Actually the problem went away after I disconnected the fat Duc. One the same ride I tried the bike with and without the day Duc. With it, I had a problem, without it the bike idled fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts