Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after a few long night rides i am satisfied the hi beam on my 2010 multistrada is completely wank.:mad:

obviously i have decided the headlight mod whereby both beams come on in hi mode is the solution...

however...

this has gotten me thinking - why have ducati not made this super simple fix themselves for the newer bikes out there? i presume either...

too much of a drain on the battery?

or too much heat in the front light assembly?

SO...

Anyone had any experience using the bike for long periods with both beams lit up? I was looking for info prior to me doing this and having melt down!:eek:

I use my bike a lot at night you see...:abduct:

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Matt,
I use my bike almost every night for a commute more than an hour.
Have you tried lowering the headlights. It seems that most or all MTSs come with the headlights pointing at the sky. Lowering the headlights with the 2 separate screws (one for each side) lowers both low and high beam. It makes a huge difference.

I have Solstice fog lamps fitted (just to improve my visibility and provide a wash of light up the road and also slightly to the sides to spot kangaroos. I also upgraded the globes to better quality. Can't remember exactly but they might have been Phillips brand. The hype says they have 40% more output for the same power consumption.
I find both low and highbeam headlights on my bike excellent and very bright once they were pointed down and in the right direction.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Hi Matt,

I too found the highbeam usless ... untill I lowered the beams.
2 minutes with a stubby phillips head screwdriver.

The cages you pull up behind at night will thank you too !

Lower the beams does mean your low beam will seem less worthwhile, and switching to high beam will leave a dark void immediatley infront of you. Easy enough to fill with some LED spotties ....

cheers,
Witto

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
High beams are useless and completely unnecessary under any application once you upgrade your low beams to HIDs. The low beams seem to be a bit too high to begin with so they serve both purposes very well once you have ample output from the lowbeams.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments so far,

All seem to be good alternatives to my problem.

I didn't mention but I find the output in low beam with the headlight flasher pulled in to be more than adequate- that's why I was going to go for the mod to the loom.

As I say though, surely Ducati haven't done this as standard for a reason.

Not many bikes have 4 bulbs burning in high beam do they?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
602 Posts
Thanks for the comments so far,

All seem to be good alternatives to my problem.

I didn't mention but I find the output in low beam with the headlight flasher pulled in to be more than adequate- that's why I was going to go for the mod to the loom.

As I say though, surely Ducati haven't done this as standard for a reason.

Not many bikes have 4 bulbs burning in high beam do they?

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
In Pennsylvania at least it is illegal to have more than 3 forward lamps on a motorcycle on at any time. Can only assume that some other states may be the same.

·
Registered
667 Posts
JohnW who makes the dual headlight wiring looms and many other MTS12'ers have been running the mod for around 2 years now - I have yet to hear of anyone reporting a problem (and as I know John I would hear;-)

Bulb upgrade: Osram NIGHT BREAKER® PLUS (4 x H11 type bulbs)

Headlight adjustment:
(1) to adjust height and (2) alter alignment left or right.

Multistrada 1200 / MTS1200 Headlight Adjustment

........I have Solstice fog lamps fitted (just to improve my visibility and provide a wash of light up the road and also slightly to the sides to spot kangaroos...
Are you still using the original radiator mounting SW Motech brackets Tim?

·
Super Moderator
8,212 Posts
The lowbeam on mine was set too low instead of to high.. Go figure!

Ive done two things to improve the light.
1. Replaced the dot bulbs (actually good quality phillips long life by the look) with Osram H11 Nightbreaker plus bulbs.

2. Aligned the lowbeam so there is a 1:10 drop on the beam. Higher then that will dazzle the oncoming traffic.

Both the lowbeam and the highbeam really benefitted from the new bulbs. The Osram Nightbreakers boost lightoutput but have shorter lifespan then the stockers. Compared to a hid kit it might lack some output, but its an easy and legal fix for 50$ that can be done by anyone in 20minutes. The highbeams can be done in less then that even! :)

Edit: I see me and Andy both like the OSRAMs. They really do make an immidiate diffrence together with an alignment

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Are you still using the original radiator mounting SW Motech brackets Tim?
Hi Andy,
Yes I am. I was sent the free replacements but they are heavy and hideous. They are copies of the mounts I had for Touratech Xenon Discharges I had on an old tiger.

My theory is that the original mounts are fine. There have been problems with the early MTS radiators. I think the main issue is this:

The bolts SW Motech supply (labelled 2 in the instructions) are too long. The bottom out in the fairing mounting hole and crack the rad when tightened.

I thought this when I saw them the first time and mounted the brackets from the beginning with a few stainless washers, locktited it and did not over tighten the bolts. I figured the mount threads were brazed in and therefore delicate. I have not had a problem in 8 months and don't expect to.

Anybody want to buy some unused spotlight mounts? :D

·
Super Moderator
8,212 Posts
If you want to sell those, Ill give you a fair price. PM me, Im looking for mounts now.

I found some 1.5watt LEDs on ebay to act as additional DRLs, but im looking at either a par of HID auxillaries or the highpower Denali style LEDs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts