Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a trip to Sturgis, only saw 2 other Duc's; one Monster and 1 ST (out of a few hundred thousand Harley's).

Happy to share there were no real incidents other than a bolt that vibrated out near my countershaft sprocket, nothing some thread lock and an allen wrench could not fix. Did get pulled over by the nicest cop in the world that only gave me a warning. Pic Attached

4,000 miles total! Longest day was 18 hours and 1100 miles, took a nap under a shade tree at an Arby's in Rock Springs, WY that helped. Found the trick was not just having lowered footpegs, nor the Airhawk seat which all helped- but taking multiple 15-20 min breaks is the ticket every 100 miles or so. You feel incredibly better with quick breaks away from the vibrations of the bike and headwinds on the helmet. Won't do that again (1000+ miles) but wanted to give it a shot.

Black Hills has some outstanding riding as noted on another thread. The Teton's and Yellowstone were obvious winners but nothing was as incredible or fun to ride as Beartooth Pass outside of Yellowstone and on the way to Red Lodge Montana.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
How fast were you going? I was up near Asheville NC this weekend and I came around a fast sweeper at about 80 and looking right in to the front lights of NC's finest....the zone was 40 (22 miles worth of 40mph...are you kidding?). He didn't even turn around and give chase....I was sweating.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is more to the story actually. Out there on the "range" the limit was 75 and everyone goes 85. In this case we supposedly went through a 65 zone as a small town was approaching and I (we) were doing 81.

Where I lucked out was that I actually saw the cop up ahead and slowed down. My cousin unfortunately on his Kawi Vulcan passed me, went right by the 2 cops who where talking and he was the one they had the gun on at 81. They pulled us both over anyway but didn't know which one they had so gave us warnings. Good thing, since we found my cousins bike was puking coolant as he hopped of the bike.

He had GPS, cell phone, and a laptop to update his Facebook page via wireless connections in hotels but he didn't have an Allen Wrench or a Phillips. Reminded me of the book "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance," where you have the Classicals and the Romantics. I was able to pull his tank and cluster, tighten up the hose clamps (even had a spare if needed) and off we went with no further incidents, topping off the coolant in the next town. I thanked him for letting me fix it since I felt macho for a day.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Black Hills is nice. I've ridden a lot of miles in the western US and Beartooth is awesome. Probably my #1 so far.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts