Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This dum thing followed me home. They're getting to be like rabbits. Frame's been repaired. Swingarm OK, but does not run and will need some serious attention. I'm thinking cafe, but want to hear it run before I pour anything into it....
This brings me to 4.5 ducs

Attachments

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Better than stupid or dumb seventeen year old step children... there's no collision coverage for that.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Better than stupid or dumb seventeen year old step children... there's no collision coverage for that.
Wow, that statement was like a punch in the junk for me.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
If you are having trouble with the vermin, just let me know. I'll come up and haul away the ones that irritate you the most.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Nice Sp project you have there, someone allowed it to become a parts pile for you to rescue.

I would do a leakdown/compression test on it then check/change the timing belts and drop the oil looking at both the drain plug magnet and whats inside the oil filter. If they all come up good throw some disposable oil in it and then get it running.

Making Cafes out of supersports is easy work but I would try and refrain from making it something that could not be returned to oem in the future. It is your bike to do with what you wish and looking at the condition I would assume the price was low but keep in mind there are a fixed amount of these bikes out there and plenty people have already chopped them up for parts or customs.
If you do go that route see if you can enter the SP badge number into the registry so later on they know what happened to it.

Best of luck and have fun!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the thoughts. This was pretty much my plan. I need to get into it today to see what the previous owner "fixed" in the way of wiring and other things. I do have receipts from the last service several years ago in which valves were adjusted and belts were replaced, there is only another 1000 or so miles on the odo since that occured. 13xxx on the bike total, but as you noted, it's pretty rough. I will attempt to get it running, since I have several other projects that are in front of this one, I'm not going to "do" anything to it for a while, but will just put it in my storage unit for safe keeping. Attaching photos of my other ducs. I acquired the CR last spring, so it's just silly that i happened upon this SP and have it now.
If I do cafe it, it would be something along the lines the last photo.

Nice Sp project you have there, someone allowed it to become a parts pile for you to rescue.

I would do a leakdown/compression test on it then check/change the timing belts and drop the oil looking at both the drain plug magnet and whats inside the oil filter. If they all come up good throw some disposable oil in it and then get it running.

Making Cafes out of supersports is easy work but I would try and refrain from making it something that could not be returned to oem in the future. It is your bike to do with what you wish and looking at the condition I would assume the price was low but keep in mind there are a fixed amount of these bikes out there and plenty people have already chopped them up for parts or customs.
If you do go that route see if you can enter the SP badge number into the registry so later on they know what happened to it.

Best of luck and have fun!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Wow, that statement was like a punch in the junk for me.
Sorry. I survived it. One of the boys stole a Stop sign off a pole on an active street for a coffee table top. Then he headed from Portland to eastern Oregon in his Honda. Clocked and stopped going over Mt, Hood at 95mph. Cops look through window into back seat where sign was in open sight. With cause, they search the car. In the trunk he has several pounds of cannabis clipping from a friend that was an illegal grower then. Pretty much worthless throw away crap from immature plants but he thought he would do "something" with it. Got arrested for manufacturing and distribution. Cheapest non-public defender lawyer required $50K up front from us to defend him. Mom spends the dough before discussing it with me. Lawyer pulls strings, gets no jail time, a $15K fine and off his record if no arrests for 3 years. Refund from lawyer, $900. I figure he made about $10K an hour, but he did have the connections a poorer family would not have access to.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well got it about as unfooked as I could today. The guy I got it from said that the bike wouldn't run because it "didn't have any spark". Pretty much every bit of wiring has been touched by the knuckleheaded PO and will either need to be repaired or just straight up replaced. I managed to get the oil drained and stripped it down as you see it. I was surprised to not see any horrible metal particles in the oil. Of course the speedo cable inner is missing so I will assume quite a few more miles were put on it after it broke as this did not look like a 1000 mile oil change. Also pulled apart the tank to drain the fuel and of course the old water. There is some rust in the bottom of the tank, but it does not look as if it's weakened the steel. The tank has a number of dents that will have to be pulled, so it will need to be repainted, so boiling it out at the rad shop may be necessary. Anyway, don't know what more I will do beyond this at the moment as I have a Harley WLA, 92 GSXR 6/11 build going and a M3 halftrack ahead of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone know if there is a difference between the main wiring harnesses for the 96 SSs? Specifically could I use a CR harness in an SP?
Thanks,
Mark

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Of the same year they should be mostly the same but the sp did have a temp gauge. Different years I do believe were different as I remember a couple different front harnesses. All of them should function but you may find some with different fuse location/type for the rectifier IIRC.

If you need a more exact answer I can (or someone else) check the parts fiche.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you could check I would appreciate it. The Stein-Dinse site is helpful for the most part, but is not that granular for the model years.

Of the same year they should be mostly the same but the sp did have a temp gauge. Different years I do believe were different as I remember a couple different front harnesses. All of them should function but you may find some with different fuse location/type for the rectifier IIRC.

If you need a more exact answer I can (or someone else) check the parts fiche.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Still trying to figure out if I can get this thing to run. Started hooking up the wiring and checking to see if it's actually usable. Also pulled the carbs apart and unfooked them (I can't believe the stupid crap people do).
Anyway, maybe I'll get it crankin this weekend. Gonna take a few days off.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Still trying to figure out if I can get this thing to run. Started hooking up the wiring and checking to see if it's actually usable. Also pulled the carbs apart and unfooked them (I can't believe the stupid crap people do).
Anyway, maybe I'll get it crankin this weekend. Gonna take a few days off.
Wow, what a mixed bag in that workshop! :grin2:

Reactions: quack748
1 - 19 of 19 Posts