Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys! I apologize if this is posted in wrong forum? I figured this was worth sharing. I stopped at the local shop Friday and almost fell over when I saw a 2001 Ducati 748R sitting on the floor! It was mistakenly removed from its crate by an employee so Gordon, the owner of the shop, is letting it go. It has 1 mile on the odometer!! Although it is yellow...its gorgeous. If it were red, I would have taken it home. It is listed on their website. Here's the information:

Razee motorcycle Center
www.razeemotorcycle.com

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hello guys! I apologize if this is posted in wrong forum? I figured this was worth sharing. I stopped at the local shop Friday and almost fell over when I saw a 2001 Ducati 748R sitting on the floor! It was mistakenly removed from its crate by an employee so Gordon, the owner of the shop, is letting it go. It has 1 mile on the odometer!! Although it is yellow...its gorgeous. If it were red, I would have taken it home. It is listed on their website. Here's the information:

Razee motorcycle Center
www.razeemotorcycle.com
So why had it been crated, and how was a brand new 2001 bike available to sell that had been crated?

Hrm..

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
So why had it been crated, and how was a brand new 2001 bike available to sell that had been crated?

Hrm..
It was still in it's original crate from the factory because a collectable bike is worth more that way.

Once it's removed and prepped, it's not worth as much.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It was still in it's original crate from the factory because a collectable bike is worth more that way.

Once it's removed and prepped, it's not worth as much.
Oh I see, it's NEW new. How freaking weird that it's been sitting in a crate for the best part of 20 years.

Crazy.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
That IS an amazing find! Wow!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah...crazy. Happens all the time at this shop! The owner is a great guy named Gordon. He is known for keeping certain bikes crated and stored for years! So from time to time, you come across little pieces of two wheel history. A couple years ago he pulled out a 999R, also with 1 mile on the odometer. As Dukedr stated, a bike in its original crate, unprepped, fetches top dollar!

·
Registered
289 Posts
So, not as cool as a 748R like this, but along similar lines... (if you don't care about cheese, stop reading now.)

A friend of mine is one of the bosses at Tillamook Cheese. Turns out, their aging warehouses track everything by computer (and some are now mostly run by robots). Every once in a while, a pallet of cheese gets lost or misplaced, and ends up aging for FAR longer than it was intended to (normal is 90 days for normal cheddar to 3 years for a very sharp white). The oldest they have "discovered" was something like 18 years old, and was kept at ideal temperature/humidity/darkness etc. the whole time. They take these cheeses and give some as gifts to friends and employees, keep a bit for themselves, and sell the bulk at HUGE markups as "vintage editions" at their factory store. It's damn good too!

I hope you enjoyed this non-Ducati related story. In my experience, Ducatis need a bit more care to age well.

·
Premium Member
5,893 Posts
Purchase it now. If you do not, I will.

It is 8:45pm on Sunday. I will call them before and when they open on Tuesday.
I love this attitude...

The gentlemen I bought my '02 R from was a member of this forum. He had been trying to sell it for a couple of years with no success, as, at the time, if memory serves me correctly, and in this case it does, the vast majority of the other members of this forum, who may have been interested, felt that the price was too high, and probably thought if they waited long enough, he would relent and drop the price. And that strategy might have worked, provided someone else, who had been looking for that very bike, and was willing to pay the asking price sight unseen, did not cut a check and walk off with a gem.

:wink2:

will never find a 748R in red.
In the lower 48? Unless it has been imported from elsewhere, no, you will not.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,893 Posts
1 - 20 of 76 Posts