Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get the preload rings to budge on my '99 900ss. I've tried the proper tools (Ohlins spanner) and the incorrect ones (drift and hammer), and a bit of oil. I can't get either ring to move to save my life. (I mean that literally, as I'm trying to lighten the pre-load and make cornering a bit safer for my 155lb weight)

What else should I try?

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Direction of rotation

This is not meant to be rude etc., but are you twisting/belting the ring(s) in the right direction?

Have you tried WD40? there is another product that has been around for decades called Penetrene, that acts as a release agent in case there is crap on the threads or even a locking agent like Loctite. Failing that, a bit of heat from a hot air gun (paint stripper performance) or maybe just a hairdryer, to make things expand a bit to break the seal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heat and oil worked, but it took some time. I put the oil on the threads and applied heat. Nothing. A little more oil and I rode for a week. I pulled the tank off at the rear hinge and got the top ring to move and the rest is history.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts