Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The right rear foot peg on my ST2 recently got stuck in the closed position. I want to dismantle it to investigate the problem and the pin/bolt appears to be held in place with a spring clip. I am concerned that I will destroy the clip trying to remove it. Any advice?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I just sprayed mine with penetrating oil and let it soak overnight. It opened up fine the next morning. I just make sure to keep it lubed every now and again so it doesn't recur.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
It's been a while since mine stuck and I took it apart to clean it, but IIRC, the footpeg pops into place by a spring forcing a little metal ball into a small hole in the spacer plate. When mine stuck from lack of use and wet weather riding, the little metal ball rusted in place. A little penetrating oil and working the footpeg back and forth once it gets some play into it should take care of it....just as Superchkn stated. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Woke up this morning and squirted WD40 - now it's working perfectly again (these Ducs are so easy!). It's hard to believe that was all it took considering it was working fine one minute and immediately locked solidly in closed position. There must be some corrosion after eight years and 33,000 miles. Thanks for all your good advice.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
If you do take it apart to grease it properly (dont forget the penetrating wont do the job properly for the long term) beware of the spring-loaded ball-bearing as mentioned above , it can fly away never to be found ! (same on re-assembly)

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I took mine apart about a year ago with no problems, lubed them up with lithium grease, and they are smooth as silk ever since. Take note of the spring/bearing as noted above.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts