Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was doing my brake cleaning today on the front brakes. I noticed that a few of the pistons move slower than the others while pumping, and a couple of them are just stuck in open position. Is there any way I could get the stuck pistons to move again or should I be looking into buying new calipers? I tried brake cleaner and tooth brush to clean crap out of the calipers, but no luck. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
46 Posts
You can unbolt the lines from the calipers, take the calipers off the bike...then use an airgun with rubber tip to carefully blow the pistons out of the calipers (go very light while doing this). Once they're out you can clean them up real good with emery cloth. You should replace all the seals at the same time while doing this but I don't know if we can get rebuild kits for our calipers or not as I have never looked into it. If so it's worth replacing the dust seals and such as well. Normally cleaning all the crud with emery cloth will make the pistons move real nice again. Hope this helps

·
Registered
46 Posts
btw you can use scotchbrite instead of emery cloth if you're concerned about scratching some of the surfaces. Also use an angled pick or a small nail to clean out the o-ring grooves

1 - 3 of 3 Posts