Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1992 900SS/SuperLight - CF wheels/FCR 41s/race cams/944 kit/CAC coils/lightened FW/balanced crank
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got any idea how to get this stupid nut off the crankshaft? I've tried a
1/2" drive breaker bar (16 inches) a 1/2" torque wrench (18 inches) that
goes to 130 ft/lbs. I've sprayed it with Blaster penetrating oil. I even
tried heating up the bolt a bit with a propane torch. I haven't tried my
acetylene torch for fear that might be too much heat. (How much is too much?)

I got the nut off on the other side without to much herculean effort.

I've got an impact wrench, but I don't think I'm getting the most out of it as it calls for 4CFM, and I've only got a 2.5CFM compressor.

I haven't tried acetylene warm up followed by the impact wrench, or any heat followed by the impact wrench for that matter.

I guess the next step is to take it to some machine shop.

Any suggestions?

Mark
'92 900SS/SL with FBF 944 kit with Keihins FCR41s.

Postscript: The preface to this story is a disintegrated bearing. The one that lives just inside the case under the clutch slave cylinder that surrounds the clutch pin going through the motor. Pain in the ass that I have to split the case on a 10K rebuilt motor. I think some rust built up on the clutch side which made the clutch pin spin which then wreaked havok. More on that story later, first I've got to get the case apart and this stupid 30mm nut is in my way.

Attachments

·
Registered
954 Posts
Lock out the crank with a 1/2" extension through a conrod, heat the nut well to ash any threadlock, then give it grief with your impact wrench...

Has the nut been off before in the previous rebuild?

·
Registered
87 Posts
give it grief with your impact wrench...
+1 for the impact gun.

I think you're confused on how the CFM from your compressor relates to the impact gun.

If you were running sustained runs of the gun, the flow of the compressor will come into play. But for the 10 second burst you're going to need, the compressor probably won't even come on. You'll just be using the volume in the tank.

Even 1/4" air hose can flow over 30 CFM at 100psi, with a short enough length. (1/4" quick connects are rated for 37cfm)

·
Registered
1992 900SS/SuperLight - CF wheels/FCR 41s/race cams/944 kit/CAC coils/lightened FW/balanced crank
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes the nut was off at the last rebuild in '99. It was a total rebuild. I still have the original crank, con-rods and stock pistons. (Which is good because it allowed me to confirm that this particular nut was not reverse-thread.)

Good info on heating to ash the threadlock. I was led to believe that the penetrating oil would eat away the threadlock, but that obviously isn't working as well. I'll try the heat.

delagem, thanks for the CFM knowledge! I'll work in short bursts after I burn off the threadlock.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Follow up:

I think there must be something wrong with my impact wrench. I tried heating the nut to burn off the thread compound, then hit it with the impact wrench a few times and still couldn't get it to budge.

I finally took it over to my local Ducati dealer, Atlanta Motor World, and an ace mechanic by the name of Brandon popped it off with his impact wrench in like 1.2 seconds. He even showed me two other areas that required special tools that I hadn't gotten to. There is a gear on the other side of the crankshaft that requires a special puller from the tapered shaft, and the nut on the belt drive needs a special tool. He got those loosened so all I have to do is finish the disassembly and make sure I keep all of the tapered washers and shims in the right places.

They will be getting my business in the future.

Next, crack the case and replace that bearing.... and bead-blast and paint the motor... and whatever else I run across!

Thanks for the advice so far!
Mark

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Next, crack the case and replace that bearing.... and bead-blast and paint the motor...
Mark
Before bead blasting, check out the attached before and after pics of some parts from my 64 Lambretta resto project.

The results are amazing. The process has many different names like vapour honing, aqua blasting, vaqua blasting. It is a wet process with suspended and due to the water, parts do not heat and distort.

All parts turned out like new, after at least a decade of storage/neglect.

Highly recommended and my 59 BSA is next. In Sydney Oz, I used Dave Mac.

Richard

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, they cleaned up nicely! I'll have to find a place here in Atlanta that does that kind of work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts