Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the pleasure of riding a few different ST4s' over the past two weeks and all three of them seem to have soft front springs and snatchy/grabby brakes. At 195lbs, I'm not sure if I can dial the preload & compression to the point where it doesn't dive so quick on me. I've never ridden one but heard that the ST3's and 3s are also very soft. Is it common for folks here that are >180lbs to change their springs or have you dialied in an acceptable setting with the stocke springs? With the brakes grabbing so easily and the springs being so soft, it makes it difficult to be smooth when loading the front.

Bob

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
TZ250 said:
Thanks Bill, that thread was very helpful. Looks like I'll either be changing the springs when I get my bike or dieting to lose 15-20lbs...my bet is on the springs being replaced.
Do both. The heavier rear spring will help if you ever ride two up, like I do fairly often with my son.

·
Registered
403 Posts
You are right that it is common for people to change the springs at both ends on the ST series. I have read that it is some peoples opinion that the ST series is set up for those who are 170lbs or under.

Many opt for the .9, .95, or 1.0 kg/mm race tech springs and gold valve. At the back end a stiffer spring is common and re valving is less common.

Dave Harhay

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dharhay said:
You are right that it is common for people to change the springs at both ends on the ST series. I have read that it is some peoples opinion that the ST series is set up for those who are 170lbs or under.

Many opt for the .9, .95, or 1.0 kg/mm race tech springs and gold valve. At the back end a stiffer spring is common and re valving is less common.

Dave Harhay
Thanks Dave, this makes the ST3 an even more appealing choice over the ST4s. Wwhat I'm hearing from most people is that the ST3 has pretty good grunt and can stay close to an ST4s up to ~100mph (stock sprokets).

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
TZ250 said:
Thanks Dave, this makes the ST3 an even more appealing choice over the ST4s. Wwhat I'm hearing from most people is that the ST3 has pretty good grunt and can stay close to an ST4s up to ~100mph (stock sprokets).
Many of us have gone with the 15/42T sprocket combo for the ST4s (check the archives for numerous discussions) , which gives it much better performance within the range of legal North American speed limits.

·
7,733 Posts
You may also want to try dialing in some more rebound in back, and switching to 5W fork oil, increasing volume by 20%, (from approx 400mls to approx 450mls, on my st3) before spending much more on springs and revalving. Thats what I did to my ST3 and it *helped*. I like using minimal approaches first. YMMV.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts