Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume there is nothing special about motorcycle antifreeze.

Checked mine using an automotive tester and it's off the scale. Meaning it is good to about -80 degrees. Thus I assume the dealer I bought from has used neat antifreeze and not a 50/50 mix.

David

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
The more water percentage the better the cooling. 50/50 is Ducati's design basis for sizing the radiator, pump, thermostat etc. So more glycol content here is not better.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The more water percentage the better the cooling. 50/50 is Ducati's design basis for sizing the radiator, pump, thermostat etc. So more glycol content here is not better.
That's what I seem to remember from my automotive learning. The dealer has made a few errors. Well I assume the dealer changed the antifreeze. They did overfill the engine by half a litre.

Time to drain & refill the antifreeze.

Thanks

·
Registered
825 Posts
I think it's most important to use an anti-freeze that's safe for aluminum. Some types of anti-freeze are NOT.

·
Registered
887 Posts
The manual for my 2002 ST4s calls for a mixture that is only 35-40% anti-freeze and the balance pure water.

·
Registered
209 Posts
my 98 st2 owners manual also shows the 40%. i think they neglected to add where feasible. i expect most folks from the north country are running the 50/50 mix. i changed mine this spring to 50/50 when i got the bike and did not experience any cooling problems. on 90f days i might see 190f but mostly it is running around high 170s low 180s.

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
I have read good things about using the Honda automotive pre-mix that you can purchase from the Honda dealer. That's what I have in mine

·
Registered
209 Posts
that honda stuff, is one jug enough, i have to do the valves so i will need to remove the radiator. 98 st2 in silver.

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
Yes, 1 jug is enough. I think it was about $12.00

·
Registered
523 Posts
No silicates! That's one of the important things.
Bill W.

·
Registered
494 Posts
that honda stuff, is one jug enough, i have to do the valves so i will need to remove the radiator. 98 st2 in silver.
I don't know if it's the same stuff, but I have been using the Honda motorcycle specific pre-mixed coolant.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks

Thanks guys. I think I'll take a trip to the Honda shop and buy a jug. Whatever is good for the Honda's up here in the frozen north, will be good.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'll double-check content but Zerex G-05 is outstanding stuff. On the bike I would not want it higher than 50% concentration.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts