Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

While trying to tackle an oil leak on my partners bike we discovered the threads have been mostly stripped out of one of the engine oil caps near the drain plug. Ducati lists the part as "779.1.198.2A cap". Does anyone know a viable solution to repair the threads? I cannot find any documentation on the size or type of helicoil I would need to get in order to re-thread it.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
no help sorry, as i've never pulled one of those out before. if you pull the strainer cap and strainer out you'll be able to see the top of the thread, and maybe you can find a slightly longer plug with the same thread and adapt to use more of the existing thread?

the part catalogue lists it as THREADED PLUG M15X1, and it should be correct.

the manual gives the torque for the "Mesh filter duct plug" as 20nm with threebond 1375B, which it appears is a retaining compound, which i think generally means loctite for bigger gaps.

i've also seen cases cracked between that thread and the screen plug thread.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no help sorry, as i've never pulled one of those out before. if you pull the strainer cap and strainer out you'll be able to see the top of the thread, and maybe you can find a slightly longer plug with the same thread and adapt to use more of the existing thread?

the part catalogue lists it as THREADED PLUG M15X1, and it should be correct.

the manual gives the torque for the "Mesh filter duct plug" as 20nm with threebond 1375B, which it appears is a retaining compound, which i think generally means loctite for bigger gaps.

i've also seen cases cracked between that thread and the screen plug thread.
Actually, this helps a lot. If it is in fact an M15x1, I think I can try something like this. I realize the threading is 1.5 instead of 1, hoping it wont be too big of a problem.

Will let everyone know how it goes. Maybe I can avoid having to install a coil entirely.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
What is that wire, a sensor ? Can you take that stuff off and see inside ? Looks like there might be access to the area you’re working on from the inside. Cleaning the area thoroughly from the inside would be very beneficial.
You should be able to buy an insert kit or helicoil using the plug as reference.
There are sealers available that would work if there is some thread left after running a tap through it. If there is enough room, you might be able to put a nut on the plug from inside the case ?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is that wire, a sensor ? Can you take that stuff off and see inside ? Looks like there might be access to the area you’re working on from the inside. Cleaning the area thoroughly from the inside would be very beneficial.
You should be able to buy an insert kit or helicoil using the plug as reference.
There are sealers available that would work if there is some thread left after running a tap through it. If there is enough room, you might be able to put a nut on the plug from inside the case ?
I can't seem to find a coil or tap for M15x1, only M15x1.5. I guess I could drill and tap a larger bolt into it?

Here are the threads, what do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Try to clean all the oil around it and put the plug back on using any good liquid gasket compound. If there is enough thread left.
If not, and there is enough thickness, you can tap it and increase the diameter if the plug. This woud be the best option, if that in the picture is not a crack...

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
That doesn’t look like a crack, it looks like a dent in the surface. If it is a crack it will be difficult to seal.
If there is room inside to put a nut on a 15x1 bolt or longer drain plug that would be my first choice. Clean it, tap it, and heli coil it, or seal it and nut on the inside. I’d use Mopar Trans sealer, but there is other good stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts