Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stripped the drain plug today, new drain plug just keeps threading. Dealer said depending on the severity of strip, they can fix it with two hours worth of labor. I thought it would be a whole case/transmission replacement. Anyone ever experienced this?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Yeah, it's the perfect application for a time sert. Or you could have a machine shop make you up a new slightly oversized plug for not much money and drill it out & tap with larger threads. I just did this with a kickstand bolt, it's the same amount of labour (exact same steps) and way cheaper than a time sert. A time sert or helicoil allows you to use the original size fastener, which is necessary if it's, let's say, a cylinder stud where the threaded portion has to pas through a certain sized hole.in the (cast) head.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
I use TimeSerts all the time in my shop to repair stripped threads--They work great & I have never had a failure from one----Unlike those POS helicoils lol--When I install a timesert I always use a little green loctite on the outside threads of the timesert just for good measure.

Reactions: davy.j

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Green? I did not know this came in all your favorite Christmas colors.
lol--green is stronger then Red, it basically lock the part in permanently -unless you head the living shit out of it to break it loose

Reactions: Monster4Lee
1 - 6 of 6 Posts