Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The previous owner did me the favor of stripping the shit out of the allen bolt that goes into the bar end on the left handguard. Ditching them in favor of traditional signals/mirrors. Any tips on removing that little fucker? Thought about drilling it out but thats a last resort. Im sure this has happened before, super soft metal on those bolts. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Ducati Acolyte
819 Posts
The previous owner did me the favor of stripping the shit out of the allen bolt that goes into the bar end on the left handguard. Ditching them in favor of traditional signals/mirrors. Any tips on removing that little fucker? Thought about drilling it out but thats a last resort. Im sure this has happened before, super soft metal on those bolts. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Can you take a photo of the stripped bolt head? That way I can see how badly damaged it is, then I may be able to give you some advice on the best way to remove it intact.

Warp :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
did you try a torxs? usually with stripped allens you can shove a torx in there and it will get it out........ no ****.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
what he said

did you try a torxs? usually with stripped allens you can shove a torx in there and it will get it out........ no ****.
In the past, I also have had some success by taking a slightly larger TORX and lightly tapping it in with a hammer. Once I know its in, fairly far, you can try to get it out.

Also, an easy-out has worked in the past, if you can get it to bite.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Seems like a lot of the hardware on this bike is WAY to soft, it happened to me too with a bolt, but got it out with a dental tool when it sheared off...lucky on that one. Might also be due to the red locktite type stuff that is everywhere. Dont over torque or you will regret it.

·
Ducati Acolyte
819 Posts
Seems like a lot of the hardware on this bike is WAY to soft, it happened to me too with a bolt, but got it out with a dental tool when it sheared off...lucky on that one. Might also be due to the red locktite type stuff that is everywhere. Dont over torque or you will regret it.
Not to blow off other peoples problems, but I will definitely be sending some business to either Tastybolts or Pro-Bolts way for a bunch of Titanium fasteners and a Titanium engine mount kit.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah, I like the torx idea. Warp, its not that badly stripped but the thing must be really efin tight. actually, now that i think about it, is pretty spripped.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
let marco lowside your bike into turn 5 @ laguna ... that will grind the bolt right out. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
let marco lowside your bike into turn 5 @ laguna ... that will grind the bolt right out. :rolleyes:

Did that to the right side, :mad: A 1/2 drill bit took care of the left side. Took me 30 seconds. Got fed up with fuckin with it. Brute force is fun. Oh, and soft doesnt even begin to describe these fasteners. Chinese pot metal is more like it. A bit dissapointed I am.

·
Ducati Acolyte
819 Posts
Did that to the right side, :mad: A 1/2 drill bit took care of the left side. Took me 30 seconds. Got fed up with fuckin with it. Brute force is fun. Oh, and soft doesnt even begin to describe these fasteners. Chinese pot metal is more like it. A bit dissapointed I am.
Glad to know you got the bolt out. Are you going all titanium now or just a better quality fastener?

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
marco's last visit into the kitty litter @ turn 5 was with the left side down ... but marco has molto talent as a racer, and i am certain he could get the right side of your hyper down in turn 5, given the chance :rolleyes:

@ marco: yeah, yeah ... i know ... your gonna kick me in the balls @ button willow :rolleyes:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@ marco: yeah, yeah ... i know ... your gonna kick me in the balls @ button willow :rolleyes:

Well at least you know it's coming, much easier to defend against.

Warp, not sure I'll go with Ti fasteners just yet. I've got some other stuff that I need to purchase thats a bit higher on the list. And I just dropped too much coin on cams, exhaust, and a desmo challenge tail. still need to figure out a tail light system, front signals, and paint the body panels. What started as a quest to fix the crash damage has morphed into a full blown winter project. Oh well, it's just money right? Better than spending it on booze, hookers, and blow. :crazy:

·
Ducati Acolyte
819 Posts
Better than spending it on booze, hookers, and blow. :crazy:
Hey Hookers need lovin' to, even if it comes in the form of $100 bill. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts