Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I managed to replace the factory pro return spring on the generator side of my sport classic (ds1000) but when torquing the bolt (see attachment) I managed to strip the bolt hole. I used plenty of red loctite and tightened it as much as I could (spins somewhat freely at some point). I put everything back together and everything seems to be ok but it’s really bugging me. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Bummer! Which is why I never use a torque wrench on small screws and bolts, preferring to use my own inbuilt torque wrench mechanism, after I stripped a spark plug thread once when using a torque wrench,

Back to the problem - You will have to get it helicoiled. You can do it yourself if you are mechanically minded, but if not you will have to get the bike to a shop. An engineering shop will have the expertise and helicoils, if you have a small one near you.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
8,297 Posts
Loctite makes a product called Form-a-thread. My experience with it has been hit and miss depending on the application, but possibly worth a shot.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
can you use a longer screw and find any thread left at the bottom? often works.
Could be!

Loctite makes a product called Form-a-thread. My experience with it has been hit and miss depending on the application, but possibly worth a shot.
Could be. Then again it could also just compound the problem. All depends on how experienced someone is.

Bummer! Which is why I never use a torque wrench on small screws and bolts, preferring to use my own inbuilt torque wrench mechanism, after I stripped a spark plug thread once when using a torque wrench
Same here. Same reasons.

You will have to get it helicoiled ...
This is pretty much the best fix. Takes some mechanical experience though.

... you will have to get the bike to a shop. An engineering shop will have the expertise and helicoils, if you have a small one near you.
^ Or this.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I see you are in Concord. You might try getting in touch with Steve Allen who runs Bevel Heaven also in Concord. He specializes in Bevel Ducs but is a former racer and has a long history in that 'hood and he may be able to steer you to a good shop that can do the helicoil at a rational price.

Buisness Telephone: 925.798.BEVL(2385)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts