Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ~ guys ~

I was on my routine engin oil change session today, and ended up

striping the engine oil drain bolt. Also I knew I was supposed to

hand tight the engine oil filter , but I guess I over tightened it from the

last oil change. The engine oil filter will not unscrew ~!!!

I need some HELP !! please. !!

Q1 ) what shall I do with the striped engine oil drain bolt??

shall I buy a new bolt from the Ducati dealer or from e-bay

and fix it ?

Q2) stuck engine oil filter ~ How can I remove this ? I tried to unscrew it

with a hex ranch and with the Oil filter removing tool and it wont

unscrew ~~!!!

--------SHALL I JUST TAKE IT TO THE DEALER ???????

please give me some technical advice people ~!!!

Thank you for reading my thread and I apreciate your comment ~!!!

Safe ride everybody ~!!!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Years ago I bought a Suzuki RM 125 dirt bike for my son and when I went to change the oil, I noticed the drain bolt had been cross threaded. Unfortunately since the engine cases are aluminum and my drain bolt was steel, the threads in the case were stripped. I simply drilled and tapped the hole with the next sized thread. I used an American thread size since it minimized material removal. I bought a bolt and washer at the hardware store and was good to go.

Another option is to use an heli-coil type of threaded insert. I am not sure if they come in that large a thread size though.

Concerning the oil filter. Some oil filter wrenches have good long handles for leverage. Maybe try puting a something over the handle to get even more leverage.

Mike

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
As last resort to get the oil filter off, you can drive a screwdriver through the filter and use it to twist it out.

·
Registered
263 Posts
when you say stripped bolt, what comes to mind is the head of the drain bolt wont hold the allen and hence the bolt wont come out. Correct? Or do you have the part of the engine case that the bolt goes into stripped?
Case's stripped then use a heli-coil or time sert for repair, if the bolt head is stripped preventing removel then try a next size american allen(slightly larger than the metric allen) force the new allen into the head of the bolt and firmly unthread it, failing that a chisle works good, but be careful of the engine mating surface.

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
Take the bolt to a home depot or autoparts store, and figure out what size it is, then get a heli-coil or permi-coil kit for it. If you have not done a tap and die before, read directions carefully or get someone that has done it. You only get one chance and you don't want to mess up the casing. On the side of the oil filter, take a screw driver and a hammer and hammer the screwdriver in the the filter then use the screwdriver as leverage and turn the filter to loosen it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
when you say stripped bolt, what comes to mind is the head of the drain bolt wont hold the allen and hence the bolt wont come out. Correct? Or do you have the part of the engine case that the bolt goes into stripped?
Case's stripped then use a heli-coil or time sert for repair, if the bolt head is stripped preventing removel then try a next size american allen(slightly larger than the metric allen) force the new allen into the head of the bolt and firmly unthread it, failing that a chisle works good, but be careful of the engine mating surface.
+1 on the Time-Sert...Use them once, and you'll never consider a heli-coil!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Q2) stuck engine oil filter - Get a big pipe wrench and go at it. Not channel-locks. Don't put a screwdriver through it because if it does not loosen you'll wind up peeling the sheet metal skin off with nothing left to get hold of.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a stripped BOLT head !! It will not take Metric size allen wrench !!

I tried to use the US size allen but the bolt hole is not as big as the inch

allen. !! It is slightly bigger !! God what shall I do ~!!! shall I use stripped

bolt removing tools ? Also where can I get the new engine oil drain pluge

~!?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi thank you for your advice ~!!! I should have been more clear !

I have stripped bolt head ~ that wont allow my allen wrench to unscrew ~!

The threads are fine ~!!!

Any advice ~?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Years ago I bought a Suzuki RM 125 dirt bike for my son and when I went to change the oil, I noticed the drain bolt had been cross threaded. Unfortunately since the engine cases are aluminum and my drain bolt was steel, the threads in the case were stripped. I simply drilled and tapped the hole with the next sized thread. I used an American thread size since it minimized material removal. I bought a bolt and washer at the hardware store and was good to go.

Another option is to use an heli-coil type of threaded insert. I am not sure if they come in that large a thread size though.

Concerning the oil filter. Some oil filter wrenches have good long handles for leverage. Maybe try puting a something over the handle to get even more leverage.

Mike
Hi thank you for your advice ~!!! I should have been more clear !

I have stripped bolt head ~ that wont allow my allen wrench to unscrew ~!

The threads are fine ~!!!

Any advice ~?

·
Registered
211 Posts
a couple years back i ran into a similar situation with a friends bike . the bolt head was not severely stripped though .
this is how i went at it :
i took the proper allen bit for a 3/8 ratchet , dipped the bit tip in oil and then shoved it in dirt . with the allen bit tip nicely covered in dirt , i proceeded to face the offending bolt. with a soft blow , the oiled/dirt allen bit fit snugly unto the stripped bolt head . one hard , fast blow and out it came.it might work for you .
pushing a screwdriver through your oil filter and twisting the thing out usually works, i've done it several times but i always fear the day when i will strip the filter of metal and no results ! what then ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
You can try using a Torx bit which is slightly bigger than the hole. Hammer the bit into the hole and then try twisting off the bolt. An impact gun may help twisting the bolt out once you have the Torx bit wedged into the bolt hole. But this is dependent on the amount of clearance you have under the bike.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up - the solution is easier than a stripped threads.

1. you can try the "dirt" method but use sand instead of dirt.

2. If that fails go to the local hardware store and buy a center punch. Get on your back and with a hammer and punch tap on the plug counterclockwise [remember your upsidedown] . Angle the punch on the face of the plug so when you tap it it will tend to loosen the plug. The punch will dig into the plug as its tapped around. Might need to do it in several places as the tip of the punch will tend to dig and eventually slip. This method workes better than brute force because it impacts the plug, much like an impact wrench. Its never failed for me.

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
I second using the Torx bit on the hex plug, as well as the screwdriver on the oil filter. Both work very well.

Get a new plug from the dealer.

·
Registered
390 Posts
If the above suggestions don't work, you should be able to take the bike to a good auto transmission shop where they can weld a bolt onto the plug and get it off using a socket and an impact wrench...You'll obviously need to get a new plug and washer before going this route.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
a couple years back i ran into a similar situation with a friends bike . the bolt head was not severely stripped though .
this is how i went at it :
i took the proper allen bit for a 3/8 ratchet , dipped the bit tip in oil and then shoved it in dirt . with the allen bit tip nicely covered in dirt , i proceeded to face the offending bolt. with a soft blow , the oiled/dirt allen bit fit snugly unto the stripped bolt head . one hard , fast blow and out it came.it might work for you .
pushing a screwdriver through your oil filter and twisting the thing out usually works, i've done it several times but i always fear the day when i will strip the filter of metal and no results ! what then ?
Hey ~ thank you for the great advice ~!! I never thought about that kind

of method !!! I 'm going to try it this weekend !! Also about the oil filter~

I was trying to unscrew it in the wrong way.......what an idiot!!!

Thanks again!! oil and dirt~~

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can try using a Torx bit which is slightly bigger than the hole. Hammer the bit into the hole and then try twisting off the bolt. An impact gun may help twisting the bolt out once you have the Torx bit wedged into the bolt hole. But this is dependent on the amount of clearance you have under the bike.
why I never thought about that ????? I always learn a new thing from this

place~!!! It seems to me that bolts that are used on my 03 999S tends to

round off real easily!! They need to come up with more ware resistant

bolts ~!!! I'll try this method after oil and dirt method !!! Thank you for

the great tip !!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The stock plugs allen socket is not a very good fit and they round easily, should be easy enough to get it out using a larger key or torx but it'll be no good afterwards.

Try an aftermarket plug with 'proper' head for a socket, like this; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220489431341&ssPageName=ADME:B:FSEL:GB:1123
It seems to me that , this is only for the standard sump bikes and also

it says it cant be used on 999. Since my bike has deep sump and I think

the size is different from the oil drain bolt thats in my bike ~~~

However it would be great to have something durable like this oil plugs ~!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts