Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the top speed of this bike with stock exhaust on? I have only been able to get mine up to about 160 MPH so far but I was at higher altitudes, up in the smoky mountains when I opened her up the other day. Also the wind drag at that speed sucks.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Does anyone know the top speed of this bike with stock exhaust on? I have only been able to get mine up to about 160 MPH so far but I was at higher altitudes, up in the smoky mountains when I opened her up the other day. Also the wind drag at that speed sucks.
Jesus, I didn't know a naked bike could go that fast with so much drag! Thank you horsepower, eh!

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
at about 130 I feel like holding onto the bike is harder than it's worth to go any faster. The fastest I've probably been is 135 ish,, but that's what the speedo was reading out, actual speed would be less by 8% if what I've learned about the bike is to be believed. The bike has plenty left to go, but like you've mentioned the wind can be crazy.

windy day's are worse than still or steady tail wind days.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had mine out at the track and down the front straight I was easily 140+ ... dont know for sure as I never look down at the speedo but I was being towed by a friend and he normally gets to 140ish down the front straight.... and wind resistance wasn't too bad... I was hugging the tank though...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Never had my SF past 100 on the street. My 848 was at 140+ but that was on the race track:D
agreed - these kind of speeds belong on the track... where you can actually WOT without worrying about cops, other cars etc... so much fun!!!! :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had mine up to 130 and the bike could have done much more. It was held back by rider fear and abilities!! I'd really like to take my SFs out to the track soon. Is it a decent track bike?

·
Registered
736 Posts
At 120mph, there is just too much wind buffetting. My vision became impaired and at that speed you really need to see within your stopping distance.

The bike should be great at the track, after all, that is where Ducati introduced it to the press. Unheard of for a street bike.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
I had mine going along quite well... around 175 kph and it obviously had a lot more, that was just a burst run while breaking it in.
There are spots to let it go near my home...no coppers, looong straights and no driveways to run into anyone but it takes titanium nads to let it go, if you lose it, you will die... 6" ditches on either side of road and rock walls just past those.
I will stick to my burst method now and then, it is enough for me and I agree, the track is the place to really let it run.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Buttonwillow race track last week saw 140 on the front straight. That was about the 3/4 mark of the straight so I was still accelerating after that.......I ran out of track long before getting near its top end.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Streetfighter top speed

Had mine just over 150 - it will do more but gets a bit scary. If you do the math using the gear ratios, tire circumference, etc. in the manual and assume a 10,500 redline, it should top out at 165 mph - if it will pull redline in top gear......

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Being 108kg & the shape of a large pirates ships sail i have managed 135 before my fingers started peeling off the bars, I need velcro gloves....But oh man does it pull. More than a cheap whore on a 30 man stag party

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
I had mine going along quite well... around 175 kph and it obviously had a lot more, that was just a burst run while breaking it in.
There are spots to let it go near my home...no coppers, looong straights and no driveways to run into anyone but it takes titanium nads to let it go, if you lose it, you will die... 6" ditches on either side of road and rock walls just past those.
I will stick to my burst method now and then, it is enough for me and I agree, the track is the place to really let it run.

THAT'S ONLY 108 MPH,,, TWIST IT MORE!!!! :)

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
What kind of helmet do you use? :s
My laverda 500 does 120, granted it shakes and vibrates like mad, but it does over 200 kph on the speedo :p
Never have any issues with vision with my shoei helmet.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
I know it was only 100-ish but I never really had any opportunity to ride it much... next season (unless some miracle of weather and parts supplies happens) I will try it to 200 Kph maybe but, really... I am afraid of getting killed on the rocks and of getting pinched by the coppers, my licence would be gone for sure at 120 over the limit.
You are right B.... I should twist it more... gotta find the right place!
My incident really cocked it up for me this year for sure but... it is still in my garage, not someone else's!!

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Being 108kg & the shape of a large pirates ships sail i have managed 135 before my fingers started peeling off the bars, I need velcro gloves....But oh man does it pull. More than a cheap whore on a 30 man stag party
Pulls more than a cheap whore... lol

I too am not of smaller stature, one of the reasons I chose the bike, and I find it sort of windy at yer higher velocities... maybe if I carried the bike on my roller-blades on a big down-hill?

·
Registered
736 Posts
What kind of helmet do you use? :s
My laverda 500 does 120, granted it shakes and vibrates like mad, but it does over 200 kph on the speedo :p
Never have any issues with vision with my shoei helmet.
Not sure if you were referring to my earlier post, but I was wearing a Shoei RF100 and yesterday I saw my speedo reading 131mph with no buffetting. Go figure. The bike felt very composed and there was lots more left in her, but I started to run out of road so I came off the throttle.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I saw an indicated 168 on my SF with stock exhaust. I was tucked way in and didn't think the wind blast was all that ridiculous. Not for a naked bike anyway.

Oh, and the shift lights come on in high gear. :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Eastern Creek DDA

I had my SF S out at Eastern Creek last weekend. I turned on the DDA for the first time. I can't say that I had the time to check out the top speed at the time but the data recorded shows a top speed of 258 KMH (around 160 MPH)

The bike has rpm to go in top gear but no more track. 1098's and good riders make 290 on this straight so I'd say that the SF has more to offer.

For anyone that has had track time on the SF I'm gussing you will have found the forward bias of the bike. The Ducati importer happened to be there and their chief mechanic jacked the fork preload to max to raise the front. 2 clicks extra of rebound and compression. (BTW - The clickers were not equal from the factory.) A massive difference in front end confidence was the result.

Track times were around 1:52 for the 2 sessions I did on this bike. That's a fair bit slower than my normal times but the bike takes a bit of getting used to when you start pushing on. It's hard to get back far enough on the seat and the right foot peg is a pain. I'll be fitting a couple of spacers to push the hanger away from the zaust heat shield in the near future.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts