Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Been a while since I've been poking around here... sold my 848 Superbike a while back for a K1300S, but now I miss that Ducati feel... Anyway, I found a local guy selling a 2010 Streetfighter 1098 for right at KBB value. It's only got 4700 miles on it, has the original tires which are shot, and it looks like oil is seeping from the front head gasket / valve cover and the service indicator wrench is showing on the dash. Cosmetically the bike is perfect. I think it may have been sitting for too long with out being ridden and the seals have gone bad. The guy put like 500 miles on it in 6 years.

I'm thinking it probably needs the Desmo service (valves inspected and belts replaced and probably the valve cover gasket / head gasket where it's seeping oil) since the bike is 10 years old. I'm going to give the local shop a shout tomorrow to see how much all that will cost.

Do you think I should be more worried about the oil seeping from the front gasket? That cover has to come off for the valve checks anyway? How much do you think all this needed service should play into the KBB price? Not sure why the wrench icon is showing he said he had it serviced and oil changed two years ago which they should have reset the service light, unless it pops up after time and not mileage?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
$5000.00 , that should cover any problems that should pop up and keep you in the realm of sanity.

·
Registered
863 Posts
That means he never got the wrench icon reset, it come on at 600 miles then the next time is at 7.5k miles. It will not come on over time so it was just not reset.

Factor in the service and tires cost and buy the poor unriden thing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yikes! 1900-2500 for just the service catch up from one shop, 2500 if valves need adjusting. Not including tires. Eesh. He's asking 7K, which is around dealer KBB price (6,955). NADA has it at 6,430. ...5K sounds about right! I don't think he'll come down, probably keep looking for an SF elsewhere. Thanks!
$5000.00 , that should cover any problems that should pop up and keep you in the realm of sanity.

·
Bon Vivant
10,833 Posts
If you ask me 7K is a fair price and and the 2500 to put it all right brings the bike in at about $9500 which is a steal for a cosmetically perfect $18.000 bike with 4700 miles on it....
Shoot him the quote for service and tires and offer him $6K - buy it for anything close to $6500 - if not give me his number...

·
Registered
863 Posts
Yikes! 1900-2500 for just the service catch up from one shop, 2500 if valves need adjusting. Not including tires. !
Damn they are not the cheapest around!

You could just get the belts and tires changed (maybe 1k?) and do the rest yourself (brakes and clutch fluids, coolant) and while coolant is drained remove top radiator and fix leak.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Why would it need a Desmo service? It has less than 5k miles. The next service isn't until 7,500 and it is just a valve check. You will need tires, fluids, and belts. Belts you can install by yourself with minimal tools in less than an hour, not even any fairings to take off! Based on the last 2 I've sold, I'd say its worth in the $6,500 range if it's a base model. The only thing about these models is that there isn't much interest in them, in my experience.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm sorry but $2500 for a desmo service sounds absolutely insane. When I owned my 1098 I had a full desmo service with a new rear tire come in about 1200 bux. I would ask them for a breakdown of the charges. It def. needs belts due to the age but most everything else you could do yourself. Oil change/brake and clutch fluids adjusting chain and refreshing coolant should all be pretty easy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi guys,

Been a while since I've been poking around here... sold my 848 Superbike a while back for a K1300S, but now I miss that Ducati feel... Anyway, I found a local guy selling a 2010 Streetfighter 1098 for right at KBB value. It's only got 4700 miles on it, has the original tires which are shot, and it looks like oil is seeping from the front head gasket / valve cover and the service indicator wrench is showing on the dash. Cosmetically the bike is perfect. I think it may have been sitting for too long with out being ridden and the seals have gone bad. The guy put like 500 miles on it in 6 years.

I'm thinking it probably needs the Desmo service (valves inspected and belts replaced and probably the valve cover gasket / head gasket where it's seeping oil) since the bike is 10 years old. I'm going to give the local shop a shout tomorrow to see how much all that will cost.

Do you think I should be more worried about the oil seeping from the front gasket? That cover has to come off for the valve checks anyway? How much do you think all this needed service should play into the KBB price? Not sure why the wrench icon is showing he said he had it serviced and oil changed two years ago which they should have reset the service light, unless it pops up after time and not mileage?

Thanks
This sounds like a great opportunity to hop back on a low use SF and at very attractive price. Do you grab it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you ask me 7K is a fair price and and the 2500 to put it all right brings the bike in at about $9500 which is a steal for a cosmetically perfect $18.000 bike with 4700 miles on it....
Shoot him the quote for service and tires and offer him $6K - buy it for anything close to $6500 - if not give me his number...
Sorry but, It's not an S / 1098SFS... It was never an 18K bike. I would take it at 7 if it was ever serviced and not leaking oil. :confused:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why would it need a Desmo service? It has less than 5k miles. The next service isn't until 7,500 and it is just a valve check. You will need tires, fluids, and belts. Belts you can install by yourself with minimal tools in less than an hour, not even any fairings to take off! Based on the last 2 I've sold, I'd say its worth in the $6,500 range if it's a base model. The only thing about these models is that there isn't much interest in them, in my experience.
I would think the price was fair if had been serviced and not leaking oil. It's the lack of service, and oil leak. 🙄That's all I was worried about. I'm going to keep looking for an 848SF. That's what I was really hoping for 🤣

1 - 11 of 11 Posts