Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Streetfighter V4 or V4S

14K views 42 replies 16 participants last post by  Rovman 
#1 ·
For those who decided to jump in early, which trim did you decide on and why? To S or not to S.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I went with an s. My last new ducati was my hyper in 09 and it was the base. I have since put monoblock calipers, a rear ohlins shock and some carbon on her. Still wish I had the forged wheels.

This time around I decided I still wanted the wheels but the suspension peaked my interest. It will be a street bike but I do a few track days a year. I have a track bike, so the sf will only go out for a few sessions. I’m not a suspension master so I figured the dynamic ohlins will work well for me on the street and light track use without wasting a lot of time to get it right.

The only thing I don’t like about the s so far is the gold fork tubes. I prefer the silver/grey on the base.

#4 ·
I was in the same boat as you with my 1199 Pani. Kind of agree about the gold forks. Wish it was the all black Ohlins with black shaft too!

#7 ·
Good point on resale. Interesting that you think it looks hideous. It’s looking better and better each time I see it.

Do you think it looks too busy?

#12 ·
I have an S on order, I ended up upgrading suspension and wheels on my Base 1198 and Base Multistrada 1200. It's cheaper up front. You get the electronic damper as well.

I'm hoping they add cruise control before release, and an option for heated grips. I do long rides on all my bikes and these two items add to the useability for me.

#13 ·
Heated grips are possible. When I saw The bike in New York City the rep said was a prototype, and it had the controls from a multistrada, and the heated grip button. He told me it was up in the air at that point. If they continue with the multi controls the heated grips will stay. But it was still possible for them to change to controls from another bike and lose the heated grips. I hope they stay as well. Sorry no info about cruise control.

#16 ·
They didn't attend the Dallas IMS unfortunately, IMO with Aprilia, BMW and KTM offering heated grips and cruise at lower price points, and everything being RBW, this should be a no brainer. I get the grips can be optional, but should be available, my frequent ride goes from 3500-9500 feet and back, and in the spring it's often freezing or just above, so grips are huge for me

#14 ·
No point in not including cruise... with all the e-gizmo's already on the bike it's basically free to add it. Not that it's a bike you would expect to spend much time using. I've not ordered yet but it would be an S.

#15 ·
It'll be my main Sport, Sport Tourer etc. When we do the Dragon every year, we usually average 1500+ miles over the 4.5 days, and sometimes we slab it to connect good roads. Being able to switch hands is amazing. I'll probably average 7000+ miles a year, and use my 749s some as well.

Reactions: LegendInMyOwnMind
#19 ·
I'm also waiting... I'm sort of wondering if maybe some 1098S owners might be looking to sell to upgrade to the V4S. The V4 will certainly be faster... but IMO the 1098 is prettier and both are more than fast enough for me.

#20 ·
I'm very much interested in checking out the new bike and will keep an open mind - I hope I fall in love with the new bike. I'm going to see it tonight at the Ducati open house in Charlotte NC. If I decide to buy one I will still keep my 1098S because honestly its worth more to me than to anybody else. At this point my 1098S doesnt get ridden much, If I buy a new one I'll set the old bike up for long term storage and put it on display in my shop.

#21 ·
Keep us posted on what you think! If you get a chance to sit on it would love how it fits compared to the old one. Or compared to the monster etc. seat height seems super tall.

#22 ·
My 1098SFS is already very tall for me. The comfort seat doesn't help there either. I'm not complaining. I'm used to it. If the new V4 is taller then the 1098 I'm going to need to have surgery on my legs to add length to them. I'll also need to win the lottery to purchase the new V4.

#23 ·
The Ducati event was a big success. A ton of people turned out to see the streetfighter and yes it was the only new bike that they actually built up to a reveal. We all stood around and listened to a half hour Ducati sales pitch with videos that have been on the web for months. But there were a few bits of news that we havent heard before - I'll get to that later.

Here's the crowd for the event tonight:

I waited at the front for about 45 minutes because I wanted a clear shot of the bike at the reveal.

It was actually quite exciting with a good presentation by the local Ducati Rep

And here it is:

Of course I had to get really close because everybody was crowding around so I didn't get any great shots, here's the front headlight nacelle"

They had to make out like it was derived from the face of the Joker from the Batman movie. Are we that shallow and gullible? How freakin corny!
This is a pre-production bike and he said the "wings" were 3D printed and not the production items but they will look like this. If this is the S model it had no Carbon parts like our older bikes, I was a little disappointed in that.

I did get a chance to sit on the bike - twice actually, and the seating position was super comfortable for me. It felt much closer to the 2019 monster 1200 than the old SFS. The handle bars are wide and reasonably tall giving you a mild forward lean. I'm tall - 6'2" and I sat flat footed with my knees slightly bent, with my feet on the pegs the knee bend was not severe and felt very natural. The seat had a noticeable amount of padding and was very comfortable, it does sit a little higher than the monster but you still feel like you are in the bike and not on top of it. Over-all the feeling on the showroom floor was really just right for me. I think the bike feels a lot more like a normal standard than our 1st gen SF and I can tell that it will feel more natural to ride right from the start. I saw short guys and really big guys sit on it and nobody seemed to look out of place on the bike. This guy was a pretty big dude:

Overall I think the bike looks really good in person, a couple of negatives do come to mind - I dont like the clunky passenger seat - it doesnt look very comfortable and it really detracts from what could be a much cleaner looking mono posto rear cowl. It had a super funny looking aero lip around the bottom of the headlight that looked out of place to me and the gauge cluster is just stickin out in the breeze, Id rather that whole "Joker face" be redesigned to look more like the front of the panigale from which the bike is born and have a nice neat little windshield and aerodynaic front fairing. To me it looks more like a flat head on the front of a beetle than the face of the joker. But again, I'm just nit picking, the bike really does look good overall. I like it.

Oh and that big news? Ducati is going to start selling 3 different e-bicycles in the US this year... the top unit likely costing nearly $2000 more than the Scrambler dark! (they didnt have final pricing yet)

#24 ·
The result from going to the event has not been a transformative one for me, I still feel luke-warm about the bike and need to ride it before I'll know if I'm willing to plop down my money. But it may have changed my mind about one thing; it seems the $4000 upgrade to the S model nets you a pair of lighter wheels and the Ohlins electronic suspension - and nothing more that I could find (please let me know if I missed something)

My experience with electronic suspension has not been good so far, I think I'd much rather have good quality manually adjusted suspension. I"ve never been a fan of the latest forged chickfeet wheels that Ducati has gone to and I like the standard wheels better. 4 grand would buy me a nice exhaust, a pair of aftermarket wheels, or an upgrade to Ohlins RT suspension and a splash of carbon fiber. I think I'd rather buy the standard bike and keep the extra money for upgrades...

At this point I have to change my vote to buying the standard over the S.

#25 ·
The result from going to the event has not been a transformative one for me, I still feel luke-warm about the bike and need to ride it before I'll know if I'm willing to plop down my money. But it may have changed my mind about one thing; it seems the $4000 upgrade to the S model nets you a pair of lighter wheels and the Ohlins electronic suspension - and nothing more that I could find (please let me know if I missed something)

My experience with electronic suspension has not been good so far, I think I'd much rather have good quality manually adjusted suspension. I"ve never been a fan of the latest forged chickfeet wheels that Ducati has gone to and I like the standard wheels better. 4 grand would buy me a nice exhaust, a pair of aftermarket wheels, or an upgrade to Ohlins RT suspension and a splash of carbon fiber. I think I'd rather buy the standard bike and keep the extra money for upgrades...

At this point I have to change my vote to buying the standard over the S.
The Ducati event was a big success. A ton of people turned out to see the streetfighter and yes it was the only new bike that they actually built up to a reveal. We all stood around and listened to a half hour Ducati sales pitch with videos that have been on the web for months. But there were a few bits of news that we havent heard before - I'll get to that later.

Here's the crowd for the event tonight:
View attachment 979568

I waited at the front for about 45 minutes because I wanted a clear shot of the bike at the reveal.

View attachment 979569

It was actually quite exciting with a good presentation by the local Ducati Rep

View attachment 979570

And here it is:

View attachment 979571

Of course I had to get really close because everybody was crowding around so I didn't get any great shots, here's the front headlight nacelle"

View attachment 979572

They had to make out like it was derived from the face of the Joker from the Batman movie. Are we that shallow and gullible? How freakin corny!
This is a pre-production bike and he said the "wings" were 3D printed and not the production items but they will look like this. If this is the S model it had no Carbon parts like our older bikes, I was a little disappointed in that.

I did get a chance to sit on the bike - twice actually, and the seating position was super comfortable for me. It felt much closer to the 2019 monster 1200 than the old SFS. The handle bars are wide and reasonably tall giving you a mild forward lean. I'm tall - 6'2" and I sat flat footed with my knees slightly bent, with my feet on the pegs the knee bend was not severe and felt very natural. The seat had a noticeable amount of padding and was very comfortable, it does sit a little higher than the monster but you still feel like you are in the bike and not on top of it. Over-all the feeling on the showroom floor was really just right for me. I think the bike feels a lot more like a normal standard than our 1st gen SF and I can tell that it will feel more natural to ride right from the start. I saw short guys and really big guys sit on it and nobody seemed to look out of place on the bike. This guy was a pretty big dude:
View attachment 979573

Overall I think the bike looks really good in person, a couple of negatives do come to mind - I dont like the clunky passenger seat - it doesnt look very comfortable and it really detracts from what could be a much cleaner looking mono posto rear cowl. It had a super funny looking aero lip around the bottom of the headlight that looked out of place to me and the gauge cluster is just stickin out in the breeze, Id rather that whole "Joker face" be redesigned to look more like the front of the panigale from which the bike is born and have a nice neat little windshield and aerodynaic front fairing. To me it looks more like a flat head on the front of a beetle than the face of the joker. But again, I'm just nit picking, the bike really does look good overall. I like it.

Oh and that big news? Ducati is going to start selling 3 different e-bicycles in the US this year... the top unit likely costing nearly $2000 more than the Scrambler dark! (they didnt have final pricing yet)
I agree entirely with your comment regarding the gauge cluster
I was 100% going to get one of these until I started looking into fuel range on the V4 panigale (which is terrible) now
after taking into consideration the street fighter no bigger tank combined with a 5% reduction in gearing (+ 2 teeth on rear than the Pani) and worse aerodynamics, I can only assume its fuel range will border on being useless for my application

#26 ·
They have an accessory dash cover on the site already, along with heated grips. Some aftermarket company is doing a dash cover as well.

#28 ·
Still i'm content.
Plenty things which iritated me, such as 3rd class plastic mudgards on 25k € s models, lack of carbon which was normal decade ago for s models. Kawasaki z ergonomics.
We'll see, i wat to see it in person, but, maybe black will be better, such is this photoshop.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

#34 ·
The new Ducati optional cowl does.

#32 ·
Those gold marchisini forged wheels are pretty sweet too - a whole lot better than the chicken feet on the stock bike. I like that rendering of the bike a whole lot better than what we are actually getting.

The dealer that hosted the Ride Red event has been very aggressive about hounding me to put a deposit on the bike. They all claim the first allocation is almost sold out for the year but I've been through this before, I'm sure that there are a number that have put deposits on this bike but we all know that once those are delivered there will be plenty of bikes to choose from. I dont need to be the first guy on the block with one of these. I'm not even sure I like the Ducati double twin V4...

#37 ·
They all claim the first allocation is almost sold out for the year
YEAaaaa.... seems legit... :)

I think like the L2 SF's these bikes will not be the "jumping off the shelves" sort of bikes... I still can't get over the $5000 SLIP ON exhaust... that's some next level stupid shit there. The $5k full Ti kit is bad (but at least I can see how the complexity of the exhaust would lead to a crazy price tag)... but $5k for cosmetic cans... damn...

Reactions: Desmofreak
#41 ·
I chose the S model. I have had good luck w/ Ohlins shod bikes in the past and wanted to try some of the new technology with the dynamic adjustable suspension and all. Also like the lighter wheels , etc.

wish the price wasn’t so high but it is what it is...

comments above are accurate, you do not get a solo cowl with the bike. A bit miffed by this as my buddies V4 Panigale came with both set ups but not the case with the SF. Also there is a heated grip button on the controls but one must buy the heated grips and pay for the labor to install AND have them made Functional through ECU programming.

Reactions: fastrob691
#43 ·
Agreed , doesn’t make sense when all the other bikes in the category have CC. I do remember my dealer telling me that at the bikes reveal to the dealers back last year. He said that they had a dealer Q and A with Ducati to discuss what the dealers thought about what amenities the bike should come with. Of course I told him to tell them it needs CC. I guess the suggestion lost out to heated grips. He did say that Ducati May add it later as an option. Don’t know if that was salesmanship or truth.

Reactions: fastrob691
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.