Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I FINALLY got back to Houston and my bike. I was able to make a 135 mile ride today.
As luck would have it this week is hot as the surface of the sun (well at least it feels like it) here in Houston. The bike ambient temperature gauge read 94 degrees this afternoon on the ride... I think the forecast was 93 for a high this afternoon and pretty high humidity....

Unfortunately coming back into town I got caught in some traffic and was able to make some observations of the bike in a high heat , slow riding..

HEAT , I definitely could hear the cylinder deactivation working when stopped at the red lights for long periods of time. When I stop I usually put the bike in neutral to give my hands and back a break.. You could clearly hear the tone changes when the bike switches to running on just 2 cylinders rather than 4.. Although I could feel some heat at first it wasn’t too bad.. I mean it was hot but not quite unbearable....
After about 10 minutes in traffic (torture) The fans starting coming on to cool the bike down. than things started to get warm at that point.. I wasn’t smelling chestnuts roasting but it was getting close... once the fans started cycling on/off .. As one would imagine on a V4 bike with pipes underneath your ass, things started to get pretty hot... it would cool down as soon as you shoved off and could get back up to 35/45 mph... any slower and the heat would not go away.. before today, the warmest weather I had rode the bike in was 85 degrees and relative humidity was a bit lower.. the ride in 85 degrees was a non event, not bad at all. today in 93/94 degree heat things got pretty hot. if I wouldn’t have hit the traffic and kept moving at a good pace, it would have been more bearable as the bike would have stayed cool enough to keep the fans from coming on.. Riding this summer in the Texas heat is going to be interesting when in traffic..

Fuel Gauge (or lack there of) - This is frustrating but it is what it is.. Filled up twice today.. The fuel light came on, than the display adds a ”Total miles on reserve“ read out and starts counting up the miles you acrue when the fuel light is on.. Both times when I filled up I put in 3.1 gallons so it seems to be coming on at the right time leaving the tank with a little over a gallon before empty.. I didn’t notice what my trip meter read on the first fill up but the second time I filled up I was at 92 miles .....

Overall today was a good enjoyable ride even though it was fairly hot, when moving 40/45 mph and up you feel no heat, nice and comfortable. Start stopping and ridding slow in this heat and you start to feel it..

Power - Today I started to dive a bit deeper into the tach and throttle.. She definitely is NOT lacking power.. Set the bike up in Race once I got to smoother roads and picked up the pace... i fiddled with the modes a bit and adjusted the engine control to high power in Race and in Sport an left it to medium in Street.. the thinking behind that is to keep the bike in street when in town on these horrible roads and let the softer suspension set up in Street smooth everything out., Than once in the country switch it to Sport or Race and enjoy quicker throttle response and stiffer suspension settings.. this is the first bike I have owned except for my 13’ Multi PP (wasn’t anywhere near as good as this new set up) that had dynamic suspension that works so well... Really glad to see the gains Ducati has made since 2013 with these dynamic suspensions.. it really makes this bike super comfortable to ride for a long period of time.. With the decent seat and the option to soften the bike a bit when needed and sharpen her up when the opportunity arises really makes this bike extremely usable in many conditions.. Very happy about this observation..

Wheelie Control - I also adjusted the DWC to its lowest setting In Sport and Race. The front just doesn’t want to come up a whole lot even in the lowest setting.. eventually on the fly I adjusted it off completely and made a few pulls from 25mph and it definitely will come up if you get ham fisted BUT u really have to be belligerent with it.. The chassis changes they made ito this bike compared to my buddies 19‘ V4 Panigale are definitely noticeable. Not to mention the torque limiting in gears 1-4 assist with this a good bit.. This is not an issue in gears 5 and 6..
I was able to get the front up in the air shifting through gears 2nd, 3rd, and 4th .. one thing to be mindful of. when you get going fast enough and the bike is at 45 degrees or higher those wings start to work against you. I assume the air starts to flow under them instead of over them and they starts to pull the bike over if you get the wheelie too high.. NOTE to self.......

Handling - So Far the bike feels really stable when on the side the tire.. Speaking of tires, this bike has ALOT of tire underneath it. I haven’t been on any roads that allow to really exploit the handling just yet BUT this bike will be able to create some amazing lean angles... I have lots of tire edge left to play with.. looking forward to exploiting that soon....

Well, going to go clean the bugs off of her and get her ready for another ride tomorrow ..

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Excellent write up, I agree with many things you've mentioned. Traffic in NM where I live, VS H-Town is non existent. I've ridden her in 98 degree weather so far, but only stopped at lights, so the heat was no more noticeable in these conditions than anything else.

I do hope some tuners unlock the etv mapping in the low gears, at least 2-4, I did a wot pull and shifting to 5th, she pulls harder than 4th, its a weird sensation. I'm at high elevation(3500ft base to 9500ft on my go to route) so full power for me please.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent write up, I agree with many things you've mentioned. Traffic in NM where I live, VS H-Town is non existent. I've ridden her in 98 degree weather so far, but only stopped at lights, so the heat was no more noticeable in these conditions than anything else.

I do hope some tuners unlock the etv mapping in the low gears, at least 2-4, I did a wot pull and shifting to 5th, she pulls harder than 4th, its a weird sensation. I'm at high elevation(3500ft base to 9500ft on my go to route) so full power for me please.
Agreed about the mapping, would be nice to feel the full potential of this great engine in all gears , at least 2-6... Does the V4 Panigale have the same torque limiting mapping in certain gears I wonder?

·
Premium Member
2012 Matte Black SFS
378 Posts
Thanks for such a detailed update! That answers a lot of questions I had!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The old one didn't, but they did some software tweaks to the 2020 to make it more rideable and less edgy at the track. Some Motojournalists mentioned it feels a little less raw than the 18/19. So i'd say to a degree yes, but less so

I'm sure Shiv at OFT will have this cracked soon as he owns one

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for a clarifying , I knew the 2020 models were neutered a bit(The guys from 44 Teeth spoke of it in detail) , I wasn’t sure about the previous years though.
I saw that Shiv got one, it won’t be long now..

Funny enough he tuned a Mitsubishi Evo 8 I had waaay back in 2003’ and I hadn’t seen or heard him since I sold that car back in 06’ . He is an extremely talented tuner for sure...

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Thanks for a clarifying , I knew the 2020 models were neutered a bit(The guys from 44 Teeth spoke of it in detail) , I wasn’t sure about the previous years though.
I saw that Shiv got one, it won’t be long now..

Funny enough he tuned a Mitsubishi Evo 8 I had waaay back in 2003’ and I hadn’t seen or heard him since I sold that car back in 06’ . He is an extremely talented tuner for sure...
Ha ha I had an 06 Evo IX he did as well. Small world.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol, that’s crazy... Like minded enthusiasts....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Rovman, what are your thoughts concerning the Panigale vs. the Streetfighter? I know you mentioned in a previous post you no longer ride sport bikes as they're too uncomfortable due to some back issues. But if you were buying this back in the day, would you choose the Panigale or the Streetfighter?

On the wheelie issue, one of the YouTube reviewers talked about this and had a similar experience to what you related above. He also mentioned that if you do get it to come up, it can get out of control quickly due to the long wheelbase. Apparently, it doesn't want to come up, but if it does you really better know what you're doing or it's going to go bad in a hurry.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rovman, what are your thoughts concerning the Panigale vs. the Streetfighter? I know you mentioned in a previous post you no longer ride sport bikes as they're too uncomfortable due to some back issues. But if you were buying this back in the day, would you choose the Panigale or the Streetfighter?

On the wheelie issue, one of the YouTube reviewers talked about this and had a similar experience to what you related above. He also mentioned that if you do get it to come up, it can get out of control quickly due to the long wheelbase. Apparently, it doesn't want to come up, but if it does you really better know what you're doing or it's going to go bad in a hurry.
Yes that is true, my back prevents me from riding Sportbikes for any real length of time. For about a year and a half I didn't ride at all as my back was just too bad off.

Man that is a good question...... I have always been a sportbike guy up until I rode a few Streetfighter/Naked bikes when I was in Europe/UK Long time ago... Prior to those experiences I always thought you had to ride a sportbike (clip-ons, leaned over the tank w/ lots of weight on the wrists/front end) to get good handling.. those bikes completely changed my mind... not only did they handle well but I found them easier to ride due to the extra leverage you get with the wider bars. Once I adjusted to the more upright sitting position I could ride the SF/naked bike quicker than a Sportbike down a twisty European road... at that point I was a believer....
i think I would Have pickEd the Streetfighter Back than.. There definitely would have been a lot of contemplating about it BUT in the end I am a Function over Form kind of guy. If it works and gets me the results I want, I am all in. I would have definitely longed for the sexy full faired Panigale but the easier to ride and just as fast Streetfighter would have won my soul over....

About the wheelie observations, yeah it very well may be due to the longer wheelbase with a touch of aero working against you that creates this feeling... the bike is a bit reluctant to get the front wheel up.. Its not crazy hard but its definitely eerily strange just how much effort it does take... its hard to explain but when you twist the throttle on this bike and your body starts to feel the g’s from acceleration, your brian immediately tells you, oh crap we definitely are going to go over BUT strangely it just feels like you have been shot out of a canon... It just turns ALL of its energy into acceleration. It’s quite amazing how it pulls that off really..

I didn’t find it wanting to flip over in the lower gears like 2nd and maybe 3rd. Things seemed pretty manageable with normal throttle touch when feathering the throttle to keep the bike upright in the sweet spot... But in 4th (Higher speeds) it started to get a lot more difficult to keep it in the sweet spot as the bike no longer was leaning toward trying to put the wheel down on the ground but it was mostly trying to put the front wheel up and over in the air.... this almost caught me out as just chopping the throttle no longer would set the wheel down I had to apply a tiny bit of back brake as well... at that point I decided that was enough and I didn’t want to tempt fate..

To be honest it had been years since I rode a wheelie on a bike, although it is like riding a bike, you remember pretty quickly , it is a perishable skill. After almost going over I decided it feels way too rusty for me to continue....

Oh , also check your conversations Dr....

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
535 Mile Update -
in between this ride and my last ride I installed a few things on the bike. Some geared toward protection and one toward assisting an old man ride longer......
  • tank protector
  • Stromgrip for added traction when moving around the saddle
  • Atlas throttle lock. Low tech cruise control
This last ride was 145 Miles. This time I had the morning free so i experienced much cooler temperatures on the ride.

Unfortunately where I keep the bike and where my primary home is , one must ride for a good hour or so to get to decent roads. Hence why I installed the Atlas throttle lock. Carpal tunnel and/or a pinched nerve causes my throttle hand to fall asleep after about 15 minutes.. The throttle lock allows me to rest my hand a bit while riding. Oh to be young again....
the throttle lock works as advertised, I like the one button on , one button off functionality as opposed to the twist on/off like the others... there is a con though.. for the SF you have to install the “on top” version. The lock mechanism itself is fairly large which looks like a appendage jutting off of the top of the throttle tube that seems like it could get in the way a bit when Riding on a twisty road or the track. I definitely would un-install it for a track day.... otherwise it worked great and enables me to ride the bike all day..... well maybe not all day but much longer than I could without it....

not much more to report from my previous report.. still getting more comfortable with the bike and slowly using more revs.

i did notice one thing revolving around the torque limiting in 1-4 gears. A few times under acceleration I deliberately attempted accelerations to expose the limiting by using almost full throttle and shifting at peak torque or thereabouts, when shifting from 4th to 5th a strange surge in acceleration will be felt as there is no torque limiting in 5th. It is strange to feel a higher gear pull harder than a lower gear.
it is a bit strange if you rev the bike out in each gear, the limiting isn’t very noticeable BUT if you shift earlier (around peak torque) it is pretty obvious..

That aside, I am enjoying the new bike and looking forward to riding her more. Really looking forward to getting to better roads to test out its handling. This is what I like most about riding and Unfortunately it is what I have experienced the least so far....

i have more parts coming to be installed when I get back to the bike. I ordered a new fender eliminator kit and new bar end mirrors. Not a fan of that huge stinger on the back of the bike and those mirrors aren’t very effective... All soon to be remedied.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I know exactly what you mean about the harder pull in 5th vs 4th. I'll be excited when OFT unlocks the etv tables gives full power down low. I kind of feel like the engineers are trying to save us from ourselves with the torque limiting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts