Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
looking forward to the progress. What do you intend to do with the wheels?

·
Registered
65 Posts
and the forks?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a deep respect for anyone that can take a brand new bike, and rip it all apart and make something really unique with it. Cant wait to see the final product.

·
Premium Member
2012 Matte Black SFS
426 Posts
Thanks Shift! I've been waiting for you to get started! I look forward to the updates!!!

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes:) with some time. + lots, or almost all bolts in titanium:).
Next week we get going on an custom exhaust system since there is nothing available:mad:

Where all the European exhaust manufacturers????

·
Registered
3,838 Posts

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
Hi all

I have just done my cans & they sound the bollox. Dont throw them away Guido send em to me please.

http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10705
I know I could take the cans apart, but could you better describe how you put them back together? did it require welding? and where did you get the carbon fiber tube? I have been thinking about doing this exact thing,, shortening them and all.. but no termi sticker. :)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Outstanding work, I have a couple of questions if you won't mind.
Where did you get the material you used?
I see you did it to an S, how does the DTC handles this modification?
You have good skills, kip it up!
Hi La Rossa

I sourced the material from a local supplier. They are available on the internet however the lads did make me the stepped pieces to go from the perforated tube to the tube that held the cat.
Its just a case of taking your time to do it , I think i have probably taken more time that it takes termi to make them.
I was not impressed with the build quality of the one on my 999, thats why i ditched it for a zard.

As for the DTC i cant see how the cans wouls affect it as i was under the impression this is taken care of by the front & rear sensors ? Or am i talking shite ?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I know I could take the cans apart, but could you better describe how you put them back together? did it require welding? and where did you get the carbon fiber tube? I have been thinking about doing this exact thing,, shortening them and all.. but no termi sticker. :)
Hi Mate

If you check the pics , when you drill out the top end, you have to tap it around as it comes out as that big copper tube.
Then drill out the bottom, The cat is in there. I drilled it out by going around the outside of it with a 20mm bit & then [email protected] it out with a hammer & chisel.

Next grind the copper cyl about 2 inch from the end & drill out the end of it with a holesaw.Then start to mate it all up to get the length of the perf tube correct.
Then put it back together using steel wool around the perf tube first, then 1 1/2 pieces of wadding , then some foil to stop the carbon going brown.
Just a case of brute force to push together whilst drilling & rivetting.
I have no welder but could have probably saved time tacking stuff up if i had one.
There you have it all done
Then its a case of building it up

·
Registered
107 Posts
The only problem is that one of the things you are removing is the warranty.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Blackie
Top job mate...very well done and looks great. The first real exhaust modifier on the planet?? It would be great to hear a sound clip but I assume it is way loud! Thanks for posting and tell your mates on the other forum we are impressed!

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
:)
.. well I may wait 2 years. but IF I can do this and keep it still looking stock.. I may do it anyway (maybe omit the carbon and keep the black metal)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I,m sure my nice dealer will sort me out, he owes me a few favours so ner. Anyway will Termis not do the same ? or Zard, or Akrapovic.

The first thnig anyone does even the dealers is stick a great set of boom boxes on .

·
Registered
107 Posts
Termi's retain the factory warranty status. I doubt most dealers would give you static about any other aftermarket, but DIY jobs, I wouldn't bet on it. Like blawrence said, just wait two years then it won't matter. I'd at least hold off until the "flat spot" issues (fuel mapping or whatever ends up being the culprit) gets worked out anyway because I wouldn't risk it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts