Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
846 Posts
I'll do glamour shots at some point, but am in the middle of chasing a charging issue (have a feeling its because I used a 2013 multistrada stator magnet rotor when I replaced my flywheel).

Toying with throwing on a dry clutch and am acquiring the parts, but the available info makes it seem like it'll be iffy on whether or not I can fully seal off the oil passages. If anyone has any tips they would be greatly appreciated.

She is 1040 cc and will be fun at the track whenever this pandemic passes.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire

·
Registered
846 Posts
I like how she turned out.

Anyone know how to turn on quick shifter with a microtec ecu? Have the Ducati corse quick shifter which plugs into the wiring harness, but there’s no option for quick shift in the dash.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Rim

·
Registered
846 Posts
At first I never even considered straying away from the beautiful matte black, but seeing the white in person has me pretty conflicted.

the plan is to run the black tank with the oem fuel setup and the white tank with more fuel flow and pressure, just to see what happens.

Waiting on an andreani rebound piston kit so I can put my forks back together.

I wanted to clean up the hoses, so I switched to the 1098 cooling system, which ended up shaving a decent amount of weight (almost 5 pounds).
Also threw on 1198 throttle bodies/manifolds for good measure, but it looks like the heads need to come off for port matching, which is annoying.
If I’m adding fuel, might as well add air. Microtec let’s me lower the heat threshold on the fans, so I don’t think overheating will be an issue. It also gave me the peace of mind to remove the mechanical thermostat, which I understand helps the engine get up to temp faster, but it weighs a whopping 40 grams, so it obviously had to go 🤓

the coolant tank is a hair spray bottle from Amazon, gotta figure out the best place to mount it. I’m not sure if it’s weight would even register on a scale 👌🏼
Since I ended up with a spare subframe and am relocating the battery and electronics to a bracket that replaces the stepper motor/heavy oem bracket, I’m experimenting with a mono subframe.
It’s currently in the “still trying to figure out how to structurally integrate carbon fiber and Kevlar” stage so I can cut out a few more pounds of steel, but super light is the goal.

any ideas on how to simplify the process of attaching the streetfighter belly pan fairings somewhere near the 1098 oil cooler? So far my plan involves a lot of mold making and fiberglass, but working with composites in a poorly vented garage is something I might delay until the temps allow for an open garage

·
Registered
846 Posts
Loving that shorty exhaust. Can't wait to see what comes of this bike!
That’s just a placeholder, I’ve run them and they’re way too loud.
I’m debating between chopping my termi slip ons or selling them with the dp ecu and making custom cans.

it should weigh no more than 375lbs wet when finished, and hopefully by then I’ll have an extra set of 848 evo heads so I can port match 1198 throttle bodies. The tbs, evo cams, and some slight head massaging should net about a 10hp gain, which would push it comfortably over 150hp, more than enough for me. Not bad for what was originally a sf848 👌🏼
The carbon fiber subframe has a goal weight of 5 lbs, so we’ll see how that goes.

·
Registered
846 Posts
That’s just a placeholder, I’ve run them and they’re way too loud.
I’m debating between chopping my termi slip ons or selling them with the dp ecu and making custom cans.

it should weigh no more than 375lbs wet when finished, and hopefully by then I’ll have an extra set of 848 evo heads so I can port match 1198 throttle bodies. The tbs, evo cams, and some slight head massaging should net about a 10hp gain, which would push it comfortably over 150hp, more than enough for me. Not bad for what was originally a sf848 👌🏼
The carbon fiber subframe has a goal weight of 5 lbs, so we’ll see how that goes.

subframe is on track! Lightweight axle from kaemna saves over half a pound.
Now just gotta find a deal on some lightweight wheels

·
Registered
846 Posts
That is not an undertail?? Just a custom high mount?? Any more pics?
No more pics at the moment, was just testing the look out to see if the length of the pipes was what I had in mind.
It’s a standard 848 system, with cored and shortened cans. It has an 848 tank and subframe in the pic, but all of that will be transferred over to my monster once I finish up mounting an 1198 frame.

when this gets the big motor, it will have pretty much the same look but with carbon cans and a streetfighter tank.

I kinda like just messing around to see how things look

·
Registered
846 Posts

First ride of this year today :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your bike is impeccable!

do you have to tape up the radiators so it doesn’t run too cool?

ive messed with my cooling system to allow for more space under the airbox and in the belly pan(removed the heat exchanger and bypass valve) and am thinking of removing the top radiator completely, adding a small fan to the lower, and setting it to come on at 180 degrees Fahrenheit. That way I could drop the airbox floor, move the Tbs completely inside the airbox, and shorten the intake trumpets by adapting panigale injectors.

ok now I’m ranting, but your bike makes my creative side run wild. Thanks for the inspiration!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Beautiful!

have you thought about adding some mesh over the filters to block road debris from just sitting in the filters?

I briefly ran mine like that but like the lines with the modified OEM intakes

can’t find a picture of the modified intakes, but there’s a few threads on here about how to do it. I just figured it would give the engine more still, less turbulent air to draw from, but I’m not a trained engineer so I just test my hypotheses and use what works best.

either way, a white streetfighter is breathtaking 😍

·
Registered
846 Posts
Thanks alexc,
no need to tape it as the weather was pretty warm (~20c) and the engine heats up so fast, took about 3 minutes to get to 70c+. I kept the engine temperature between 75~95c last weekend. Let’s not bore the others with the technical stuffs in this thread, and happy to continue in your bike transformation thread :)

Lol I can’t resist asking questions from people who’ve done it right, but you’re totally right, I’ll try to keep my build threads running.

mine is ever evolving. This is probably the setup I’ll go with until I finish the belly pan battery box and the one piece carbon fiber seat/tail/subframe/side panels, which will be relatively easy. Just the fastest way I could think up to get back on the road.
aluminum subframe with a self supporting 999 seat, custom aluminum bodywork, s4rs belly pan for now, 848 exhaust with 1198 cans that only work in this setup when you have the pipes that connect the headers to the cans, which I was lucky enough to get for free from one of the most generous Ducatistas I’ve met

carbon fiber monocoque subframe in progress:

should weigh around three pounds, so when I throw the 1260 motor in, the under tail pipes will not only centralize the weight distribution, but will also help make up for the 25-30 pounds dropped from up there.

one thing at a time though, once I have a bike back on the road, I’ll pop out five or six builds over the summer(05 999 block, 07ds1100 block, 12mts1200 block, 848 block, and am gonna take my s2r back to stock)

looks like I ended up word vomiting instead of sticking to my build thread, my apologies. Just spent the past 7 weeks resurrecting a nightmare mechanically abused hypermotard evo, so I haven’t had the time to do much building/documenting.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I’ve been running them like this for some time and have not run into this issue. But I can see your point.
Yeah I mean as long as you follow the cleaning and oiling instructions, you’re fine. I doubt something big enough to punch through would get kicked up into there at that angle, and even then, the stacks are pretty tall so it probably wouldn’t get sucked into the intake. I’ve seen the results of poorly sealed air boxes and although not catastrophic, definitely not ideal.

then I heard about someone who’s bike literally sucked the whole foam filter into the engine on the dyno, grenading the engine. Never gonna skip service intervals on the filters after hearing that.

man I love these bikes.

keep up the great work buddy!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Thanks buddy, I’m having trouble with the wiring routing so it’s moving slow and there aren’t many pics because I’m just untangling wires, making sure the airbox still fits, etc. also broke my carbon fiber ecu mount because I chose to make one instead of shelling out to buy one. Gonna do a proper vacuum bagging so I have an exact copy and cut the ends of the original stepper motor mount to use as washers over the cf. battery on the right side doesn’t work because all the wires run over the belt covers, so I’m on my third revision of the battery box, just need to conceptualize it.

bought an 848 wiring harness as a cop out if I get too frustrated with the wiring, but it’ll add 3-4 lbs and I’m not about that lol

I’ll update my threads :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Instead of posting your build in the picture thread why not start a build thread? I'd love to follow your build.
Yeah I should be better about that, it’ll help improve the site and I need to remember that.

I have some build threads but my plans got delayed. All of my engines are non standard displacements so tuning is hard, which leaves me going back and forth a lot. Have a microtec autotuner on order, but I guess I missed the cutoff for their summer holiday, it’s delayed till December. After a wiseco piston detonated in my ds1100, I’m never running a performance bike without a perfect tune, and with dyno time being so expensive, the microtec auto tune was a no brainer, but December is a long way away :(

for example, I’m building a 1098 with monster 1200 jugs(unless I can find a reasonable price on 1098 piston rings) and pistons(1124 I think), a 999 with a hm1100 crank(also around 1124), and two 1260s using mts1200s as a base. One will have standard compression(12.5:1for the pistons I’m using) and 11degree mts cams, the other will have 1198 cams, 12.8:1 compression, and a close ratio transmission). Both will have dry clutches, one with a slipper, the other with the lightest clutch parts I can find.

Road block there is I need to accurately take 1.4mm off the layshaft, and that’s out of my wheelhouse at the moment. I figure since I have till December, I’ll figure it out by then.

also have a big valve, high compression, ds1100 superlight engine modified for a sbk frame on the docket, but the power of the water cooler superbikes is reeling me in. Should be under 300lbs wet so that’s my motivation to get it back on the road, just deciding between an 1198, 996(adjustable steering stem) and 748 frames. 999 will probably go in the 996 frame, ds1100 will probably end up in the 748 frame, then the rest will have the evo sbk trellis frames with either composite or aluminum/composite subframes.

if you’ve made it this far, thanks for reading.

I came up on what seemed like a bunch of deals of a lifetime, so having too many options has me constantly going back and forth.

need to learn how to weld aluminum consistently first, so the sf and welding are my two points of focus atm 🤙

·
Registered
846 Posts
Second track day this year with new suspension setting, ÉCU map, and metzeler TD tires. Not that I like all those stickers on the bike, but since the event was sponsored by a number of companies, they are required to be put on :)

That coolant overflow is genius! Always love seeing this bike!

·
Registered
846 Posts

this was so low effort that it’s kind of laughable. Didn’t let the release agent dry enough so it mixed with the epoxy, meaning a lot of sanding, polishing, a good clear coat, and more polishing. Letting it fully cure to the shape of the headlight right now.

it’ll definitely help with visibility at night though 👌🏼🤓

and it’s only one layer of carbon fiber, was going for lightness as well as the hope that the headlight beam will poke through the small voids where the weave spread.

love this bike, but somewhere along the way, I shifted from riding to obsessively building, and I miss riding so damn much.

getting a CAN error, probably because I chopped the tc and dda, shorted the immobilizer circuit in hopes that that code would disappear, and shorted the clutch circuit because my master doesn’t have a switch anymore.

can never do one thing at a time 😵‍💫

·
Registered
846 Posts
Here come the action photos from last weekend …

Was it easier to make the belly pan out of sheet metal, or was carbon fiber not an option. You could use the belly pan as a plug.

idk, my first thought is always weight reduction 💸

·
Registered
846 Posts
The belly pan was made out of aluminium, we didn’t have the expertise to fabricate using carbon fibre. Would love to reduce the weight a bit further, the bike is already pretty light tho :)

How much do you think it weighs?

I have a pipe dream to get mine down to 325 wet(Alu subframe, titanium structural bolts, aluminum bolts where stress isn’t a factor, light wheels, axle, steering stem, rotors, calipers, carbon everywhere) but that’s an obsession that has become literally unhealthy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts