Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
buying my first ducati this month, used to ride a yamaha fz6. cant decide on a new streetfighter 848 or a used 2010 diavel. opinions?

·
Registered
614 Posts
buying my first ducati this month, used to ride a yamaha fz6. cant decide on a new streetfighter 848 or a used 2010 diavel. opinions?
What are you looking for in your next bike? may be based on your criteria we can offer opinions and thoughts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Just go test ride it - and get whatever make you happy. SF848 and Diavel are two very different animals - different power, ergo, style, price point etc. There really isn't much to 'compare' in my eyes. Get both if you can! If not, test ride both back to back is your best options.

·
Registered
713 Posts
IMO, diavel is in Yamaha VMAX category - ie a cruiser with power and handling capability; SF848 is a sports bike (848 would be in the middle weight category) that has no plastics or windshield.
From FZ6 you can go either way b/c FZ6 is somewhat in between the two... As someone mentioned above, get both if you can afford but if not, ride both and select one that you think is best for your budget, style, riding goals etc.

·
Registered
495 Posts
There's already a thread about this in the Diavel forum, and lots of people saying get a Streetfighter. Ha!

I've ridden both. I like the Diavel. It's more relaxed, but plenty sporty enough. To me it comes down to which look you prefer and what kind of riding you want to do.

You want something for commuting/touring more, get the Diavel. It's a little more practical. You want to track/carve the twisties, get the SF.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yah man, you gotta test both. Totally diff bikes. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the diavel...

find something whose gas tank is NOT guaranteed to expand if you use ethanol gas in the U.S.

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,232 Posts
I would think sf848 or mvf3, drivel is just that...drivel :)

Auto corect disabledh

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
1098 SF.. or you'll wonder what you're missing out on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would think SF or VF, drivel is just that...drivel :)

Auto corect disabledh
Bite your tongue sir :)

To the OP, ride them both and figure it out. The bikes are way different. My last bike was a 998 and I loved that bitch. Is the Diavel different from the 998? yes, but not as much as you would think.
I really liked the power, handling, looks and sound of the Diavel so I bought one and am really enjoying it. This my seem strange to you fast SF guys but the thing handles great, it can flat out haul (for me anyway) thru the canyons and still be comfortable on a 500+ mile days rides.

Gilly. You are an inspiration to the motorcycle community and I wish you the best, hopefully I may get to meet you some day. Take care.

Declan

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yah man, you gotta test both. Totally diff bikes. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the diavel...

find something whose gas tank is NOT guaranteed to expand if you use ethanol gas in the U.S.
I believe the SF and 848 EVO are the only bikes left in the Ducati lineup that aren't using plastic covers over the fuel tank.

·
3,232 Posts
Thanks for that Irishlad... As per unwritten sf forum bylaws, we give tough love to the drivel. Any bike is better than none and riding the one you want is all that matters.

For me, low slung choice would be an S4RS, which would save money... Unless ya just gotta have the D bike. :)

Auto corect disabledh

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for that Irishlad... As per unwritten sf forum bylaws, we give tough love to the drivel. Any bike is better than none and riding the one you want is all that matters.

For me, low slung choice would be an S4RS, which would save money... Unless ya just gotta have the D bike. :)

Auto corect disabledh
You are very welcome.
No worries, I plan on having an 1098 in the garage with the D soon :D

·
3,232 Posts
For the record... I still miss my streetfighter ffs, hell I miss riding everyday.... Anyway, the grunt of the f1098 was and is one hoot of a bike, exspecially on zee track! If I was shopping, I'd help out someone having a distressed sale in a chi-town minute. :)

Auto corect disabledh

·
Registered
614 Posts
Ha ha ha ha.....
too many people asking the same questions.... dont understand why guys dont test ride them first and come and ask questions later
You don't need to test drive either to make your choice... Understand not being able to choose between but my point is Without riding either you should know what to expect as a category if bike you want.

That said, the SF is what you expect - mad superbike that is naked ... But the diavel is way more than you expect any power cruise anything to be - it blew me away that I was considering it as a possible 2up performance naked I want.. Then again I hate cruisers like I hate SUVs may be more...but if I had to buy accuser the diavel is it. Meanwhile I love my SFS along with the other and still think no one makes a naked bike I want.

·
Registered
144 Posts
SF versus Diavel

I'm very lucky to have a SF 1098 and a Diavel. Two very different bikes. Both awesome, however. Both have tremendous power. I think one of the motorcycle rags compared them in terms of power and handling. If I remember correctly-Diavel beat the SF1098 in the quarter but barely. Almost identical rear wheel horsepower. Diavel has more torque and is lots heavier. SF1098 handles like a race bike. Diavel handles outstanding relative to cruisers but doesn't have the ground clearance the SF1098 has. More electronics on the Diavel-ABS, multiple maps, and traction control. SF1098 has traction control. The SF1098S also comes with DAS system if that is important to you. I have never used mine. I don't ride track and have turned off traction control on both bikes.

As an owner, here are my personal observations: both quick as hell off the line and tons of power. Both sound incredible even with stock exhaust. Diavel a little louder. Both have outstanding looks. Both turn heads on the road. Not that I do a lot of wheelies, but the SF1098 loves to wheelie. Diavel hard to do, at least for me. Diavel is a lot easier to ride around town and for long trips because of the riding position. Carrying a passenger on the Diavel is easier than on the SF1098. Both tough to ride on the expressway, as they have no wind protection. I also find the Diavel is a little better at the low revs than the SF1098, but no where near as smooth as an inline 4. I'm not complaining about it either. That is the character and nature of each of the bikes and what makes them special. I have learned to appreciate these things about them.

As was already mentioned, ride each if you can. At the very least sit on them because they are very different. I did my research on each but didn't get a chance to ride them before purchase. No regrets. I hope this helps. You have a tough decision.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts